Wavy vs ball thread

Vince_Former_BB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gentlemen.......another odd question for you all. Can anyone tell me the difference between a wavy pin/tap and a ball thread pin/tap? They seem to look the same to me. Is there a difference in pitch or diameters? I can't find any dimensions on the taps and the comparing the photos they look the same. What am I missing?

Vince_Former_BB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Giving this a bit of a bump to see if anyone can provide me with number....dimensions. Major and minor diameters. Thanks.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a side by side picture:
Pin comparison.jpg

snookered_again

the one at the left seems a lot like the profile of a ballscrew..

you can google "ballscrew" but it's basically a method of linking parts by way of a ball bearing type joint, common when stepper motors are used to move parts. , in CNC applications. It's often a very precision component with very little backlash..

DeeDeeCues

the one at the left seems a lot like the profile of a ballscrew..

you can google "ballscrew" but it's basically a method of linking parts by way of a ball bearing type joint, common when stepper motors are used to move parts. , in CNC applications. It's often a very precision component with very little backlash..

That is the story of how Stroud came up with it. He apparently was looking at one of his machines and thought, 'that looks like a good thread profile to hold things together (it isn't). The ballscrew profile only works well for anything because of the circulating balls in the nut.

I've got a little experience with ballscrews. I've designed many applications and installed many more, including 4m length and 80mm diameter.

Multi lead roller screws are more precise and have a higher load capacity.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The wavy looks like it has ridge in the flank of the thread? And acme threads on the bottom? I'm not sure I see the point in either of these. It's it that bad to have a standard screw into a brass insert?
Yes that's a fair description. If there's a point to all these pins is a separate question. There are so many proprietary pins to chose from, but the logic is the same, trying to get repeat business.
As far as the Wavy and now Wavy 2 pin. It's definently a good design with a super tight fit, most players comments on this and it gives of a feel of quality, which is what Mezz is going for.

DeeDeeCues

Yes that's a fair description. If there's a point to all these pins is a separate question. There are so many proprietary pins to chose from, but the logic is the same, trying to get repeat business.
As far as the Wavy and now Wavy 2 pin. It's definently a good design with a super tight fit, most players comments on this and it gives of a feel of quality, which is what Mezz is going for.

A super tight fit is not a good design. Screws should rarely be 'super tight' in any application, but especially not in a cue that is only tightened by hand.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A super tight fit is not a good design. Screws should rarely be 'super tight' in any application, but especially not in a cue that is only tightened by hand.
That's true, but it's not that tight. I've sold mezz cues for many years now and I have never seen one split at the joint, so it's tight, but not overly so. It's a bit like the slide fit on a gun, too lose isn't good, too tight causes problems, but you can get frame/slide fit that really has no slop at all, yet works perfectly.

DeeDeeCues

That's true, but it's not that tight. I've sold mezz cues for many years now and I have never seen one split at the joint, so it's tight, but not overly so. It's a bit like the slide fit on a gun, too lose isn't good, too tight causes problems, but you can get frame/slide fit that really has no slop at all, yet works perfectly.

Splitting at the joint isn't the only concern. The clamping force of a threaded joint is the entire job of the pin. The clamping force is a function of torque, pin diameter, and friction. The pin diameter is constant, the torque is dependent on the strength of the user (limited), so when the pin is tight, the friction in the pin reduces the clamping force. Basic, and provable. I did testing on this for Airbus.

Beyond that, tight fitting pins do absolutely nothing for the cue. It doesn't assist in alignment or repeatability of assembly. All it does is make it harder to assemble the cue.

I really don't understand why people think tight threads are a sign of quality. I've been around a lot of things that are much more critical than a cue joint, if the threads were as hard to assemble as many cue joints, the part would generally be rejected.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Splitting at the joint isn't the only concern. The clamping force of a threaded joint is the entire job of the pin. The clamping force is a function of torque, pin diameter, and friction. The pin diameter is constant, the torque is dependent on the strength of the user (limited), so when the pin is tight, the friction in the pin reduces the clamping force. Basic, and provable. I did testing on this for Airbus.

Beyond that, tight fitting pins do absolutely nothing for the cue. It doesn't assist in alignment or repeatability of assembly. All it does is make it harder to assemble the cue.

I really don't understand why people think tight threads are a sign of quality. I've been around a lot of things that are much more critical than a cue joint, if the threads were as hard to assemble as many cue joints, the part would generally be rejected.
I get what you saying and I have made the same point many times. Once the cue is together, all of this is mostly academical in nature. The perceived impression of quality is what I'm really talking about and in a sales perspective.
Most players don't really know what to look for anyway, but if it feels nice when screwing togehter that's certainly something the player notices.

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
[QUOTE="DeeDeeCues, post: 7811266, member: 122163"

Beyond that, tight fitting pins do absolutely nothing for the cue.
[/QUOTE]

Do you have proof of that or are you just talking out your ass?😁

tomatoshooter

The pin diameter is constant, the torque is dependent on the strength of the user (limited), so when the pin is tight, the friction in the pin reduces the clamping force. Basic, and provable. I did testing on this for Airbus
I saw a test where bolts required less torque to loosen than tighten (assuming no corrosion) which supports your statement.

I believe the coarser thread pitch is more prone to loosening which is why I'm not a fan of the radial pin.