Weird question about deflection and draw.

Stellar1024

Registered
So, I was thinking about deflection and why top and bottom deflection don't occur and obviously with top spin, there's a flat table surface preventing the ball from moving downward on the Z plane... but when considering draw -- Is gravity considerably more powerful than deflection, or when I do one of those bad draw shots where the cue ball hops in the air, is that actually from deflection instead of a miss cue? Lol... I'm pretty sure it's just a miscue, but for some reason I never considered deflection outside of side spin and now it has me wondering!

I'm guessing there is a bit of a hop on most draw strokes from the up/down deflection, but a controlled hop that keeps the shot manageable and still inline...

Thx! =]

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless your cue has very high deflection, you’re not likely to get the natural pivot point very far below the center of the cue ball. Assuming the butt is above the rail with clearance for your knuckles the cue will be at 1 1/8 inches above the slate about 12 inches from the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, I was thinking about deflection and why top and bottom deflection don't occur and obviously with top spin, there's a flat table surface preventing the ball from moving downward on the Z plane... but when considering draw -- Is gravity considerably more powerful than deflection, or when I do one of those bad draw shots where the cue ball hops in the air, is that actually from deflection instead of a miss cue? Lol... I'm pretty sure it's just a miscue, but for some reason I never considered deflection outside of side spin and now it has me wondering!

I'm guessing there is a bit of a hop on most draw strokes from the up/down deflection, but a controlled hop that keeps the shot manageable and still inline...

Thx! =]
A draw shot 'might'(doubtful tho) leave the surface buts its a TINY amount if any. Plus you usually don't get low enough to make it hop. Hopefully anyway.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
'Reflection'??
  1. MATHEMATICS
    the conceptual operation of inverting a system or event with respect to a plane, each element being transferred perpendicularly through the plane to a point the same distance the other side of it.
Origin
c8cb8e521ef7998aea23874e1fd9ae99bcf52317f4d0eef2a9abe29fc7268005.png

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
  1. MATHEMATICS
    the conceptual operation of inverting a system or event with respect to a plane, each element being transferred perpendicularly through the plane to a point the same distance the other side of it.
Origin
c8cb8e521ef7998aea23874e1fd9ae99bcf52317f4d0eef2a9abe29fc7268005.png
You lost me at 'mathematics'. ;)

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thx! =]
Yes, the draw shot gone bad is a miscue.

Outside of a miscue, though, the stick is elevated (pointing into the table) on all draw shots because of the height of the bridge/rail. This means with a zero-deflection stick, you're driving the cueball into table and it will bounce (like a jump shot).

If you bridge at the pivot point (say 15 inches) and the height of your bridge is centerball, then the deflection (upward) will cancel the elevation (downward) and you'll get neither a deflection scoop nor a jump-shot hop. Bridge that shot further back, behind the pivot point for the deflection scoop to win. In practice, you're never going to do that...

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, the draw shot gone bad is a miscue.

Outside of a miscue, though, the stick is elevated (pointing into the table) on all draw shots because of the height of the bridge/rail. This means with a zero-deflection stick, you're driving the cueball into table and it will bounce (like a jump shot).

If you bridge at the pivot point (say 15 inches) and the height of your bridge is centerball, then the deflection (upward) will cancel the elevation (downward) and you'll get neither a deflection scoop nor a jump-shot hop. Bridge that shot further back, behind the pivot point for the deflection scoop to win. In practice, you're never going to do that...
Statistic guys know to Never say Never😉