What’s your most versatile tip choice?

Chappy

Just getting back into the game and wanted to know what your preference is for a break/play tip suggestion is. Just got my first cue in 15 years and am curious if there is a great combo tip or if I shou get another shaft/tip combo. Just picked up a cue and 1X2 case in this forum, trying to hold out on a dedicated break cue for the moment.

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Hard to beat a Triangle.

But I play and break with my playing cue most of the time. Kamikaze Black Medium.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Triangle tips were the standard tip provided by a number of top cue makers including Tim Scruggs and Southwest. They are inexpensive, dependable and play great.

Another good one is Elkmaster which is what Earl Strickland always played with and swore by.

Then there's Milkdud tips which are Elkmasters that have been soaked in a solution that includes milk then placed in a press and they've become very popular and I like to use them myself. Great performance with very little maintenance required.

There's really only two games left that require a smashing break, 8b and 10b. As we saw in the WPC 9b that just ended medium speed breaks have become an effective strategy.

Many of our sports champions and legends never used dedicated break cues. They weren't seen too much until maybe the late 80s to early 90s.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Just getting back into the game and wanted to know what your preference is for a break/play tip suggestion is. Just got my first cue in 15 years and am curious if there is a great combo tip or if I shou get another shaft/tip combo. Just picked up a cue and 1X2 case in this forum, trying to hold out on a dedicated break cue for the moment.
I've tried a few kinds of layered tips. They were good. I then tried milk duds, which are a tip soaked in milk overnight then pressed in a tip press. To me, milk duds are unbeatable. You can get them in any hardness you want, I prefer hard or medium hard. They have a great hit, hold chalk well, and don't mushroom. I absolutely love the hit on them and the ease and infrequency of maintenance.

I make them myself with a picone tip press. The press costs $35, but I make them for friends that I do tip work for so the cost isn't too bad on the press. My milk duds use an Elkmaster tip, which is 50 cents, and about half a shot glass of milk. These tips, which cost maybe 75 cents to make yourself will perform as well and last as long or longer than a $25 layered tip. I'm not a cheapskate, but why pay more for a tip if it plays no better than a 75 cent tip? You don't need a tip press, but it helps with consistency. You can make them in a bench vise or a c-clamp. Instructions can be found online if you enjoy DIY.

@pooldawg8 is a member who sells them here on AZ. Outsville sells what they call techno duds. There are good layered tips that can be had for much less than $25, but for me nothing beats a dud.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I break and play with my tip. The hard tip I use has no issue with losing shape from breaking. Medium hard also hold their shape. Mediums and softer will slightly flatten if you break hard with them, but not much, and no mushrooming from any of them.

Last edited: