What Are People Thinking?

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are some of these folks selling cues thinking? I understand people want to make a profit and all, but some of the recent cues listed for sale are just, well, silly. People selling used 'Butt only' cues and wanting the price of a new cue, at least by the time you buy a replacement shaft, pay to have it matched to the cue, you'll have as much in the used cue as you would spend buying a brand new one, at a weight of your choosing with a matched shaft?!? Then there's the thread from a guy selling a used SP that's beat all to hell, literally. At his asking price, even if it's straight and can be refinished to take all the nicks and dings out of it, the cost of that, if done by a good cue maker, would bring the money spent on the cue over and above the cost of buying the same cue brand new, again at a weight of your choosing. Top all of this off by offering them what would be a fair price for a used cue needing more money spent on it, and you get ugly responses. It's just silly.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are some of these folks selling cues thinking?.....It's just silly.

You're right, Nullus.
I would suspect that the market will not pay these requested prices by the seller.
Eventually the seller will have to come down.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are some of these folks selling cues thinking? I understand people want to make a profit and all, but some of the recent cues listed for sale are just, well, silly. People selling used 'Butt only' cues and wanting the price of a new cue, at least by the time you buy a replacement shaft, pay to have it matched to the cue, you'll have as much in the used cue as you would spend buying a brand new one, at a weight of your choosing with a matched shaft?!? Then there's the thread from a guy selling a used SP that's beat all to hell, literally. At his asking price, even if it's straight and can be refinished to take all the nicks and dings out of it, the cost of that, if done by a good cue maker, would bring the money spent on the cue over and above the cost of buying the same cue brand new, again at a weight of your choosing. Top all of this off by offering them what would be a fair price for a used cue needing more money spent on it, and you get ugly responses. It's just silly.

I don't understand why anyone would respond in a ugly way. If they don't like the price, move on. I've really never understood people thinking like this. I have bought and sold many things and it's up to me to price something and I will know very soon if the price is right or not. Just because you feel something is priced wrong, doesn't really matter. It just takes one person who likes it, and if the price is to high, he will have to come down to sell it. So, what's the problem and how does this affect anyone else?

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand why anyone would respond in a ugly way. If they don't like the price, move on. I've really never understood people thinking like this. I have bought and sold many things and it's up to me to price something and I will know very soon if the price is right or not. Just because you feel something is priced wrong, doesn't really matter. It just takes one person who likes it, and if the price is to high, he will have to come down to sell it. So, what's the problem and how does this affect anyone else?

^^^^^^^^^
This. The market will regulate the fair selling price. I could care less what someone's price is, if they own it, they have the right to price it as they want. As long as they don't complain about people not willing to pay their price (if it is too high), I won't feel compelled to point out their price is crazy. I could care less if people post specs or include pics. If that is something important to me, I quickly click back to the main forum and ignore their offering.

As long as I have the right to choose what I buy, I fully believe the sellers should have the right to choose how much they wish to price their offering at and how they choose to present it.

Not sure why any of this bothers you but I hope you feel better now that you've gotten it off your chest.

dom_poppa

Banned
Here is how I see it. There should be a level of depreciation from every new owner that touches a cue. These are tools and they are build to be used. If you are going to sell a cue, please make a reasonable price.

Collectors cues are different such as elaborate designs -or- great materials.

There shouldn't be a current cue maker right now that is not retired to have their cues appreciate as much as what the seller is trying to sell it for.

I can never look for a cue here because I am looking for a good deal, not a steal either.

The prices on here are getting out of hand especially since I contacted the big cue makers of the world and they tell me the wait time and price. It is not as outrageous as some like to make it out to be.

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
Having stuff in the market that is over priced is a MUST! It's good for the market as a whole. If an uneducated buyer see's the same cue listed day after day and it doesn't sell, he will soon realize that it's priced too high. I see it every day in real estate, the listings that don't sell tell you just as much about the market as the ones that do sell.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
The old school pool hall cue guy always finds out what the cue builder charges to build a similar cue, then they prices it just below that number.
They will hang on to that cue for years if that's what it takes to get their price.
This pool cue could be one of their prize possessions, and they don't care if you buy it or not.
This system works for some people, but once I decide to sell something I want it sold quickly, no bumps if possible.

Some of the reported incidents of buyers backing out of deals could be related to over-pricing issues.
The buyer finds out the cue is over-price by $1500 and backs out.
The fish got off the hook and now the seller is pissed off.
I've been pricing cues on the low end, and have not had one problem.
I've held several cues till payday without anybody backing out of our deals.
My pricing structure has been successful, I'm not making any money, but I really enjoy it.

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think you misunderstood. When I offer a price because there isn't one listed, they get ugly all too often if they think it's too low and come back with a 'new' price. I didn't give the ugly response, and if it's a cue with a listed price that I think is too high, I might offer what I think it's worth to see if they're interested. I don't low ball them, but rather look at what the cue is reasonably worth based on what a new one would cost. I'm talking mostly production style cues here, not one of a kind models. It's not too hard to put a reasonable value on a used production style cue that can be replaced at a specific, listed cost on numerous websites.

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^^^^^^^^^
This. The market will regulate the fair selling price. I could care less what someone's price is, if they own it, they have the right to price it as they want. As long as they don't complain about people not willing to pay their price (if it is too high), I won't feel compelled to point out their price is crazy. I could care less if people post specs or include pics. If that is something important to me, I quickly click back to the main forum and ignore their offering.

As long as I have the right to choose what I buy, I fully believe the sellers should have the right to choose how much they wish to price their offering at and how they choose to present it.

Not sure why any of this bothers you but I hope you feel better now that you've gotten it off your chest.

I do, thanks.

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is how I see it. There should be a level of depreciation from every new owner that touches a cue. These are tools and they are build to be used. If you are going to sell a cue, please make a reasonable price.

Collectors cues are different such as elaborate designs -or- great materials.

There shouldn't be a current cue maker right now that is not retired to have their cues appreciate as much as what the seller is trying to sell it for.

I can never look for a cue here because I am looking for a good deal, not a steal either.

The prices on here are getting out of hand especially since I contacted the big cue makers of the world and they tell me the wait time and price. It is not as outrageous as some like to make it out to be.

I agree with this for the most part.