what are the all-time greatest pool matches?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite to watch was Tony Chohan vs Josh Filler One Pocket in Roys Basement....Filler's shot making changed the strategy of One Pocket.

true, but filler had been basically living on that table for a month. sure had an advantage in that regard.

i like the first iteration of chohan vs orcullo. brilliant match.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
true, but filler had been basically living on that table for a month. sure had an advantage in that regard.

i like the first iteration of chohan vs orcullo. brilliant match.
You are correct about Filler's advantage of being confident on that table however, Chohan has been a One Pocket CHAMPION for many, many years and One Pocket is a intellectual game of many moves. Filler changed some minds on how to play One Pocket.

I will watch the Orcullo match ... may change my mind. I would like to see a rematch.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Darren Appleton when the score was tied at 12-12 and he had to jump over half a ball to make the 2 ball in the side....with a very difficult layout for the win.
He was up 9-1 but ran outta gas after making no mistakes and running out every turn at the table, but when he made/rattled that 9th 9 ball, his mental fatigue SHOWED, he even slightly rattled the 9 ball just the rack before....that faitgue moment allowed his opponent back in the game....from there on his opponent played great (he was well rested) :) and tied it up at 12-12.
I think it was Darrens first World Championships win.
He didn't rattle at all in the 25th with a real tough table layout for the win. Wow....

Last edited:

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2001 International of Champions finals Chao v. Bustamante. 50K winner take all. Worth watching the entire match for some solid playing. But the tie-breaker (starting at 47:33) was the most exciting single game of 9-ball I have ever seen. Four shots, any one of which could have been the highlight shot of the tournament, were all made in the same game. I was in the arena for the match. Glad to see that someone preserved it on YouTube.

tomatoshooter

plays circus shots more often than he plays safe
Like this?

Que tiro incredible.

One of my favorite announcer quotes "Even his safties are aggressive!"

Not playing the percentages properly was probably his biggest weakness but his talent allowed him to get away with a lot.

Yeah, he did as much with a cue as anyone I've seen play. This is an entertaining runout:
He fires in tough shots like they are hangers.

His finals match vs Johnny Archer is a great one, too. He has no facial expression, his eyes look like a shark (the fish, not the jerk trying to throw off your game), an undeniably fierce player. Billy Incardona and Buddy Hall are the announcer.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like this?

Que tiro incredible.

Yeah, he did as much with a cue as anyone I've seen play. This is an entertaining runout:

His finals match vs Johnny Archer is a great one, too. He has no facial expression, his eyes look like a shark (the fish, not the jerk trying to throw off your game), an undeniably fierce player. Billy Incardona and Buddy Hall are the announcer.

that 9-ball in rack 2 vs corey was insane. maybe the video angle was weird but to me it looked like that cueball was going uptable.

i watched a lot of rafael one hole. you never ever thought he would miss a bank, and neither did he obviously, that must have been scary for any opponent. he could move too, but maybe not on par with bustie, efren, joyner or daulton. certainly not with as much patience as those four. wonderful player to watch

tomatoshooter

that 9-ball in rack 2 vs corey was insane. maybe the video angle was weird but to me it looked like that cueball was going uptable.
I'm pretty sure it was. Rafael is amazing. I rarely see him jump the cue ball but he really has the full range, banking, kicking, multi rail shots, caroms, precision shots. As far a a demonstration of what is possible with a stick and a couple of balls, he's the man. If he had a little more restraint I think he'd be in the same status as Earl, Efren, Bustie, etc. On the other hand he's more entertaining to watch.
i watched a lot of rafael one hole. you never ever thought he would miss a bank,
I love how he fires them in, no hesitation. That confidence, he'd be a very intimidating player to face, up there with Earl when Earl gets that crazy look in his eyes and must get those balls into holes NOW!

Mich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rempe vs Varner in the Sands semi-final from ‘88 or ‘89?
Rempe comes back from the dead to beat Varner, 11-10. I think he was down 8-1 or 8-0. One of the first and best Accu-Stats video tapes!

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Lion Alex Pagulayan vs The Freezer Scott Frost One Pocket match in Vegas few years back very well might be the best one pocket match ever caught on video.

This match took 5 days to finish and was a flat all out war.

After four days and close to 50 hours of play they were dead even :eek:

View attachment 505714
Where can I buy see this one?

telinoz

Registered
This match for pure tension and drama:
2007 World 9Ball...
I always remember that one as I watched it live.

Daryl went on to win as well in a great final.

usakr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like this?

Que tiro incredible.

Need to watch the match previous to this. I believe Rafael beats Archer 13-10 to send Johnny to the losers bracket. It's some of the best 9 ball caught on tape. Don't know if it's available on the accustats youtube channel.

tomatoshooter

Need to watch the match previous to this. I believe Rafael beats Archer 13-10 to send Johnny to the losers bracket. It's some of the best 9 ball caught on tape. Don't know if it's available on the accustats youtube channel.
I haven't come across that but the announcers do mention that match. There's a match against Bustamante from the 90s in Germany. I wouldn't say it's a good match, exactly, unless by "good" you mean "pure dominance." It's like the second most brutal thing to ever happen in Germany.

Fer. Gutierrez.

Registered
YES RAFAEL IS A GREAT PLAY YET
Rafael Martinez is probably the most exciting player to watch. I like when the announcers are saying "he'll have to play a safety blah blah blah blah..." (Martinez makes bizarre shot...) "I didn't know that was an option." I don't think I've heard announcers gush over another player like they do for Martinez.

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Lion Alex Pagulayan vs The Freezer Scott Frost One Pocket match in Vegas few years back very well might be the best one pocket match ever caught on video.

This match took 5 days to finish and was a flat all out war.

After four days and close to 50 hours of play they were dead even :eek:

View attachment 505714
Where can I see or buy this?

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren vs Jason Miller - One Pocket Finals at DCC.

Jason Miller was killing giants the entire tournament, I had not seen him play much before, but you could tell he was something special. Played all games well including 9 ball, banks and one pocket. He was definitely "on" or "instroke".

Efren absolutely dominated the match, Jason hardly got a shot, and Efren beat him 3 straight games in less than 45 minutes. It was the best one pocket I have ever seen, bar none (and I have seen years and years of playing).

Second, is the bank ring game won by Skyler Woodward.

Ken
Where can I buy/see this: thx

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven’t seen a lot of these older matches. But the SVB vs Orcollo match one year ago in Omega Billiards TV was the best I’d ever seen.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know where I can find good footage of Buddy Hall in his prime? Specifically when he would be demonstrating the elegant and simple cueball control and patterns that earned him his legacy? I’d pay for footage if needed. It’s just all the free stuff I’ve found so far were fairly unimpressive matches relative to my expectations.

loggerhead12

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Anyone know where I can find good footage of Buddy Hall in his prime? Specifically when he would be demonstrating the elegant and simple cueball control and patterns that earned him his legacy? I’d pay for footage if needed. It’s just all the free stuff I’ve found so far were fairly unimpressive matches relative to my expectations.

He's all over YouTube.