What are the differences between carom cues and pool cues?

Big Arm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And there are several different carom games. Do people use different cues for the different games? Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I would like to learn more.

Dean_H

luv the small modalities
Silver Member
For three cushion I play with a constant taper shaft with a 12.5mm tip. I think the meatier shaft helps me play three cushion.

For straight rail I play with a 11mm tip with a Euro taper. The Straight Rail shaft is smaller and lighter then my 3-c shaft. The Straight Rail shaft is used for a lot of draw shots, some piquet shots, and when the need arises small controlled masse shots. My straight rail cue is also a couple inches shorter in length then my three cushion cue.

mark hansen

Registered
differances on carom cues from pool cues

Hi "Big Arm"
pool cues can range from 58'' to 60'' lengths, the average weight for carom cues prefered is usually between 17 to 18ozs. the taper for pool shafts is usually prefered at 12.5 to 13 mm tip dia. and will taper to what is called a pro taper about 10 to 13 inches in length, carom shafts are prefered to as a "constant taper" usually starting at 11.75 to 12.75 (prefered) and will graduate down the shaft in a constant conical form, pool cues are usually betweem 18.5 and 19.5 ozs. in weight, the carom cues usually are around 56.5 inches to even 54 in. in length (shorter than pool cues) hope this helps !!

Big Arm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks! I like to learn new things. I doubt that there is any carom table in Montana but find it interesting.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Thanks! I like to learn new things. I doubt that there is any carom table in Montana but find it interesting.

Big Arm; In Billings there is a fella I beat out of $30,000.00, 35 years ago. His name is Paul Smitto, He was the biggest Electrical contractor in MT at one time, He has a table in his home, Nce guy. When I write my memoires "The Life of a REAL Billiard Hustler", He'll definately be mentioned!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"
http://mr3cushion.com

Musashi29

Registered
Carom Cues

Carom billiard cues have specialized refinements making them different from the typical pool cue with which many people are more familiar. Such cues tend to be shorter and lighter overall, with a shorter ferrule, a thicker butt and joint, a wooden joint pin (in high-end examples) and collarless wood-to-wood joint (for a one-piece cue "feel"), a fast, conical taper, and a smaller tip diameter as compared with pool cues. Typical dimensions are 54–56 inches (140–140 cm) in length, 16.5–18.5 ounces (470 – 520g) in weight with a 11–12 mm diameter tip (lighter for straight rail, heavier for three-cushion). The specialization makes the cue significantly stiffer, which aids in handling the larger and heavier billiard balls as compared with pool cues. It also acts to reduce deflection (sometimes called "squirt"), which may be defined as displacement of the cue ball's path away from the parallel line formed by the cue stick's direction of travel. It is a factor that occurs every time english (side) is employed, and its effects are magnified by speed. In some carom games, deflection plays a large role because many shots require extremes of English, coupled with great speed; this is a combination typically minimized as much as possible, by contrast, in pool. The wood used in carom cues can vary widely, and most quality carom cues are hand made.

Visit : www.caromcue.com for more infos.
Hope this help !!!

georgie-porgie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
georgie-porgie

For places to play in Montana, your best bet would be to go to www.usba.net which lists by states various poolrooms and their associated equipment.
Mr 3-cushion jogged my memory, back to some 35 years ago when I was a relief tech based out of Seattle who relieved techs in Spokane, helena and Billings. At that time, BILLINGS had one carom table in a Corner Pocket poolroom. Helena had none.
Spokane had a room in downtown area with 3 old Brunswicks.
From the map, looks like you are closest to Spokane. But checkout the USBA site, I'm sure that they have a more up to date listing.

nkvilliecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big Arm; In Billings there is a fella I beat out of $30,000.00, 35 years ago. His name is Paul Smitto, He was the biggest Electrical contractor in MT at one time, He has a table in his home, Nce guy. When I write my memoires "The Life of a REAL Billiard Hustler", He'll definately be mentioned!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"
http://mr3cushion.com

WILL MY NAME BE MENTIONED.....LOL :thumbup::cool:

nkvilliecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for places to play in montana, your best bet would be to go to www.usba.net which lists by states various poolrooms and their associated equipment.
Mr 3-cushion jogged my memory, back to some 35 years ago when i was a relief tech based out of seattle who relieved techs in spokane, helena and billings. At that time, billings had one carom table in a corner pocket poolroom. Helena had none.
Spokane had a room in downtown area with 3 old brunswicks.
From the map, looks like you are closest to spokane. But checkout the usba site, i'm sure that they have a more up to date listing.

will you be in vegas this year....i just might.....cheerrzzzz
dddddddddddddddddddd

18.2balkline

Registered
I agree with Zirroe. Three-cushion billiard cues are shorter because of a desire to have a stiffer shaft; therefore, the taper of the shaft requires a shorter length (and probably a smaller diameter butt). With a butt of 28 inches, the shaft in a "standard" billiard cue will also be 28 inches, for a total cue length of 56 inches (but the shaft can also be 27 inches). Pool cues typically have a 28.5 inch butt and similar length shaft (or even 29 inches and 29) with a long, gradual taper on the shaft, which makes the shaft very flexible. A flexible shaft is not good for 3-C. (I'll leave it to others to explain deflection, swerve, squirt, etc.)

Billiard cues are often lighter and shorter for small ball billiard games, such as straightrail and balkline, because of odd cue positions the player encounters. (Think of the rail nurse as the player moves around the table. This requires that the player choke up on the cue and hold it out over the table). Players sometimes prefer smaller diameter tips for the small ball games. Conical tapers are often common, though many players use a Lambros taper, which is often called a Shooni taper because Mazin popularized it. I believe it was developed by Mike Lambros, who is known more for his pool cues but makes a few billiard cues now and then.

PS Willie Hoppe used a 55 inch cue for 3-c and a 54 inch cue for the small ball games. I've always wondered about the height of the player, and whether that somehow is related to cue length.

Gongmyo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue-length/body-height

When I was at St. Michael's College in Vermont in the late 60's I met a sculptor on the faculty—wish I could remember his name—who had been a balk-line player in the 30's, competing both in France and the USA. He showed me some French newspaper clippings that referred to him as "le petit Schaefer" because he looked like a miniature Jake Schaefer both in physique and playing style. I had a Willie Hoppe back then, and when he picked it up he said that it was a few inches too long for him. He told me that players of that era tended to use cues that were shoulder-height, which for him was about 53 inches. I tried to get him interested in playing again, but aside from demonstrating the rail nurse once on a pool table he never got around to it.