What do I need to make...

jazzn4444

the Unknown
Silver Member
I have a cue that had a wood pin... notice I said "had". It is now broken. What do I need to do to make a new one for it? It's a 15/32-10 thread from a Mariposa cue. I'm thinking about making them from wood, and maybe I'll make a few in G-10. CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A real lathe...

jazzn4444 said:
I have a cue that had a wood pin... notice I said "had". It is now broken. What do I need to do to make a new one for it? It's a 15/32-10 thread from a Mariposa cue. I'm thinking about making them from wood, and maybe I'll make a few in G-10. CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

IIRC, that cue has a classic carom cue style joint
the 'pin' is actually a threaded tenon at the end of the shaft

repair by plugging the shaft and cutting threads on the end

HTH
Dale Pierce

nbll01

Albrecht Custom Cues
Silver Member
If your asking how to cut the threads? You will have to get a thread mill. Check with Billiardbum he sells them. Its mounted in your router and cuts the nice billiard cue threads. Dave

jazzn4444

the Unknown
Silver Member
pdcue said:
IIRC, that cue has a classic carom cue style joint
the 'pin' is actually a threaded tenon at the end of the shaft

repair by plugging the shaft and cutting threads on the end

HTH
Dale Pierce
Sorry bro... you're thinking of Helmstetter. The pin IS IN THE BUTT.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jazzn4444 said:

Makes no difference if the pin was part of the shaft or the butt, the repair is the same proceedure. Size and thread a dowell to the proper size and then install in the butt or shaft. I don't know what pitch or shape threads that Mariposa used but if you have the broken pin then you can properly shape your cutter to match the profile. If it's a normal 60 deg. pitch then just mount a 60deg V-cutter in a router and go at it. If it is different then take a tool steel router bit and shape it on a grinder to the proper profile. If you put on a little mineral oil on the dowell before cutting it will then cut much cleaner. Bore a hole in the butt and epoxy in place.

Dick

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jazzn4444 said:

that's why the IF in the If-I-Recall...

butt or shaft, isn't<wasn't> it a threaded tenon?

inquirering mind wants to know
Dale

Last edited:

jazzn4444

the Unknown
Silver Member
pdcue said:
that's why the IF in the If-I-Recall...

butt or shaft, isn't<wasn't> it a threaded tenon?

inquirering mind wants to know
Dale
Sorry dude! Didin't know that what "IIRC" stood for...