What do you do when pool is no longer fun?

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This seems like the case for me lately. I like to be the best that I can be at anything I do and I also have an extremely addictive personality. I had some junk that I was addicted to when I was younger and when I cut most of that out pool has been my outlet and new addiction.

For the first few years I had fun shooting every time I shot no matter how I did. Now I'm to a point where all I care about is getting better. I find myself getting frustrated faster, I find myself getting pissy with the rest of my team when I'm struggling through no fault of their own, I feel like at this point pool is work. Even when I win it seems all I can think about is what I did wrong during my game and don't feel like I deserved to win they just happened to play worse. Last year I had 4 ero's and the most 10-0 of our league night. This year I have no ero's, no sweeps and I don't think I have a 10-0. I practice more than ever before yet the outcome is just getting worse and it's coming into tournament time. Maybe it's time to just put the cue down awhile and see if when I hit the table again the enjoyment comes back.

Has anyone else ran into this and how did you change your mindset?

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take time off until you get the urge to play again. If the urge never comes then don't play.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take at least a week off, maybe two, and come back to it. You may have to take more time but a week or two would do it for me. Never took longer and I've been at it for 50+ years.

nfuids

eh?
Silver Member
You definately need to change your mindset.

You need to be aware and accept the fact that improving goes through many phases.
You need to accept that you will not always be on your A-Game.

There is a difference between deception of a not winning a game, or missing a specific shot and getting frustrated by it.

I suggest you get a copy of the book "The inner game of tennis", this could help you a lot on the mental side of the game.

Nyeborn

Registered
Buy a new cue. Always makes me want to shoot more. Are you shooting too many nights a week? That can make it feel like work. Are you on a team with people you really get along with or are they just a team put together? A team you have fun with always makes me shoot better.

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It could be league play that is bothering you since most of the league players do not have your desire to improve.

Try visiting a different pool and get some action with another good pool player you don't know.

I am pretty bored with pool right now but I guarantee I would love a pool trip to the Philippines.

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
may be it's time for you to make a pause ...
that's what i've done years ago. Some years of pause i've voluntary made. When i decided to play again, it took me "some" time to learn again, but i restarted with better basis, i worked my fundamentals, and now i think that the pause was the best choice i could make.

You have another solution : why not to learn carom ? starting by straight rail . the classic , very hard way, to 3C but be carefull : extremelly addictive.

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
I've been where you are now. It usually happens when you hit a plateau...you get frustrated because you can't break through and then your attitude throws the rest of your game into a tail spin.

Take some time off to get your head straight. Finding the issues within your game is a much more complex problem.

Send me some video or post it here for other instructors to review and we might be able to hone in on the problem.

Once you break through your plateau, you'll rediscover your love for the game.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no silver bullet. You are plateauing that's all. Hit a million balls and only play guys that are better than you. When you break out of the plateau your game will have gone up a notch. You get to a point where your game stops growing by leaps and bounds and merely tweaks upward. Hang in there.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Has anyone else ran into this and how did you change your mindset?

I, and many players I know, have gone into slumps because we stop trying hard enough....
....the game doesn't care what level you play at...it only let's you know how well you
hit the shot you have.

I think a bit of humility is needed here....it works for Efren.

It's funny, the more serious you get, and the harder you try...
....the more fun the game is.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wish I knew the answer, I am there right now. I have no desire to play and have screwed my cue together 4 times in the last 6 months.
Time for a break for me until I get the urge again.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wish I knew the answer, I am there right now. I have no desire to play and have screwed my cue together 4 times in the last 6 months.
Time for a break for me until I get the urge again.

Please just play through it. You won't regret it.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please just play through it. You won't regret it.

I hear you...just think I am at that stage in life where family takes precedence and there just isn't enough time for pool. I know I'll come back to it. I love the game too much not to.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hire a pro stroke instructor. Take lessons. We only have so much talent.... improve it ...and enjoy the ride. Do the best you can with what you have. Come to terms with your game. Relax and have fun.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The EASIEST way is to find a pool hall out of town, play strangers make new freinds and stay competitive, it's a blast playin strangers anyway and I feel you will play harder because you don't know if you should win or get beat by them being unknown!