What do you do when you feel like you HAVE to take a low percentage shot?

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
I have found this to be a very interesting thread. But, it lacks pictures, so I thought I'd add some. This situation came up for me last Sun. nite at the local tourn. Bar box Diamonds, race to three, alt. break. I was playing another A player, and he had me down 2-0. I tied it up 2-2 and it was my break. I made the one on the break, and then faced this scenario. The 2 is very easily cut into the corner. But, you will run into the 4 doing so. I need to get right on the 3 to be able to get back on the 4 which should stay in the general vicinity it now is after hitting the 9.

The trick to it is this- I have to hit the 4 thin enough to be able to spin off it two rails to get on the 3. After much studying of it, I determined that I had a very fine line in which to hit the 4 properly. Too full on the 4 and I have no shot on the 3. So, what do I do here?

CueTable Help

Did you have enough room to thin the 2 on the left side, and go 2 rails behind the 3-8? (Or was it a dead scratch?)

Even if you make the 2 and 3, it looks like the 9 occupies a large part of the area to land on the 4 ball....and it's hard to get to the 5 ball from THERE....what an ugly layout.

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
What if no matter what you do it is low percentage?

BVal

The important thing to remember when your facing any shot is that you should be committed to it.

This is especially important when you're shooting a low percentage shot.

When faced with a difficult shot a lot of people will spend less time preparing for it. They already have resigned themselves to missing so don't invest the time to plan the outcome of the shot so that even if they make it they don't get the shape they desire for thier next shot.

If you have a low percentage shot it's even more important to plan the outcome. This gives you confidence. Confidence sinks balls. Confidently sunk balls result in good shape.

Reactions: Siz