What do you think about my speed ?

Hi Guys, I decided to share with you my run of 8 ball.

I would like to hear what do you think about my game. If you see any mistakes or issues I'm open to read it all ;)

Please comment.

good break because the table was wide open
shotmaking better than pattern play
the second ball you made needed to be cleared early, and you did that, hopefully by design
 
Do you always play "slow" ? or you were just taking more time than usual cuz you posted your video here ? I think for people to judge your real "speed" you have to play the game in your normal pace. Something tells me that you were taking extra time to shoot balls in cuz you were going to upload the video. I might be wrong though.
 
Do you always play "slow" ? or you were just taking more time than usual cuz you posted your video here ? I think for people to judge your real "speed" you have to play the game in your normal pace. Something tells me that you were taking extra time to shoot balls in cuz you were going to upload the video. I might be wrong though.

I think you misunderstand the term "speed."

He broke at the :25 mark
First shot - :57 (32 seconds elapsed)
Second - 1:16 (19sec)
Third - 1:34 (18 sec)
Fourth - 1:53 (19 sec)
Fifth - 2:31 (38 sec - he looked at the possibility of another shot)
Sixth - 2:47 (16 sec)
Seventh - 3:11 (24 sec)
Eighth - 3:29 (18 sec)

And that was all while making a couple of bad choices, a few position errors, and a swerve shot.
How much faster do you want him to go?
 
the video was edited some so it wouldn't last as long.

I hadn't noticed when I watched it, but it was sped up once - after the swerve shot (the twelve I believe) and prior to the shot on the thirteen. There were two other points you MIGHT be able to make an argument it could have been edited, but based on the reflections on the table it doesn't appear to have been. Even the section of the video that was sped up only seems to have been a few seconds... though that does seem odd.

I'm no video pro, but that's how it looks to me.

And even if it had been edited between each shot you can't make a solid case that he shoots too slowly, you can only make that assumption, because you don't know how much has been edited out.
 
I am trying to figure out how you disappear a few times in the video. That is a nice trick, I wish I could do that sometimes.;)
 
I am trying to figure out how you disappear a few times in the video. That is a nice trick, I wish I could do that sometimes.;)

I cut some time during video editing. A time which i spend to think, or to aim. I finding it boring to watch someone who's thinking instead of action.
Of course I can upload the whole run out without cutting, I still have it on driver ;):grin-square:
 
You can speed up the replay between shots too. I think that is a better option then cutting out content.

I cut some time during video editing. A time which i spend to think, or to aim. I finding it boring to watch someone who's thinking instead of action.
Of course I can upload the whole run out without cutting, I still have it on driver ;):grin-square:
 
You can speed up the replay between shots too. I think that is a better option then cutting out content.

Well, I did what I did. But this is not quite the matter, as you can see balls weren't moved ;) it's more about how you play, not how you editing ;)))
 
You seem to have pretty good fundamentals and can make some tough shots.
Mostly I see issues with decision making. That's good! Because it's pretty easy to fix.
Fixing a crooked stroke would be much tougher.

8 ball is about playing the safest, easiest pattern possible... something you cannot screw up.
Something where you cannot ever get hooked on any ball.
Look for 'connect the dots' where stop shots and soft follow will lead from one ball to the next.

Example: from your first shot, soft follow gets you perfect on the 12 ball but you chose hard follow to the side pocket shot.
If you get an angle into the rail on the 12, soft follow gets you to the same side pocket shot.

When you make the side pocket shot, you try to soft follow to the 12. That's good, BUT there's the risk
of getting hooked behind the 8 ball. You can remove that risk by just following all the way down
to the bottom rail (there is room to cheat the pocket so no worries about scratching).
Shooting from near that bottom rail would also leave a natural angle to get on the 11 with our friend soft follow.

Just remember - never ever ever risk getting hooked.
Soft follow and stop shots for as many shots as possible.
This creates a pattern you can't screw up.

Keep us updated on your progress. One other piece of advice... if you haven't gotten lessons yet,
and there's a good instructor within driving distance, try it. Wish I'd done that earlier in my pool career.

That's also my problem. I have a tendency to risk position in order to safely pocket something, so I end up getting hooked. And when I try too hard to get as much position as I can for the next shot, I sometimes end up missing a straight shot in. I try to balance between pocket and position, which often gets tricky, but somehow things mostly turn out fine in the end. If I lose, it's usually after I get to the 8, when I either make a mistake while aiming for my last pocket or when my opponent successfully performs a difficult shot despite low odds.
 
I believe you will learn a lot more from this forum by uploading a few of the countless dozens of unsuccessful run outs you also captured on video getting to the "good" one.

We can learn from our failures way more than our successes.

JC
 
I believe you will learn a lot more from this forum by uploading a few of the countless dozens of unsuccessful run outs you also captured on video getting to the "good" one.

We can learn from our failures way more than our successes.

JC

exactly! Record 5 racks in a row, 1 take and let the dissection begin! :)
 
It appears to me that you are playing one ball ahead, and then figuring out what to do to get to the next ball, and so on. This seems to be the extent of a lot of position play I see today. You should be trying to get position on the ANGLE to the next ball that will get you to the ANGLE of the next ball, and so on. This will force you to always play a few balls ahead, and not have to use a lot of fancy stuff on the cue ball to do so.
 
You broke three times... that must be a foul, no?

And by the music I would rate you a D (-bag).

Sorry. Seriously, as the others said, you might want to work on your pattern decisions. But well done however.
 
Back
Top