What does pumping the cue over and over up in the air before their shot do for the pros?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, he's teaching them that after they make a low percentage shot they need to wipe the crap off the cue.
How would it be for someone who is a "2" in league to do this before her/his shot? I think a pool player must be over 700 to make the move (on this thread) or the crowd would go wild.

GT819

I'm not criticizing it, but I am curious if a pool instructor teaches this to his students.
Yes, pool instructors do teach this. It's a method of vusialistion. See the shot in your mind... Imagine the proper stroke speed... Step onto the shot and hit through your pre shot routine. Regardless if skill level it's never too late (or early) to learn good habits. A BCA Master Instructor once told me to watch the best players with the best habits and routines, and do what they do. Even if you don't get good you will at least look good. That alone can often intimidate your opponent.

jlrowe

Billiards,Boxing & Babes
Silver Member
Yes I do it almost all the time now. It helps you slow down and think about fundamentals, I will adjust my stroke length in the air, focus on my body alignment, get my wrist and grip right, adjust how far back i need to be so when i go down I have the correct distance my cue tip from ball and i dont have to adjust when im down. Im also aiming while I'm up and have the point of impact on the object ball focused all the way through when i step in and go down on my shot. I guess i could just stand there with my cue pointed upward and do all this but I guess for some reason it may assist in my feel for the speed i need to stroke to get to my other object ball. :unsure:

soyale

I must say im surprised at how many people here are in the super elite cool kids club.

have you asked yourself why it bothers you so much what somebody else does? your only sharking yourselves if your thinking about that while at the table.

be and let be.

not an airstroker but feel free to roast me now azb.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I must say im surprised at how many people here are in the super elite cool kids club.

have you asked yourself why it bothers you so much what somebody else does? your only sharking yourselves if your thinking about that while at the table.

be and let be.

not an airstroker but feel free to roast me now azb.
Guys will do the "sky slash" and miss. Guys who always do the sky slash also do their share of missing. I think their time would be much better spent air poking at the shot they intend to shoot.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Even if you don't get good you will at least look good. That alone can often intimidate your opponent.
I have to write "bull sh-t" on looking good if your not a pro doing the air "sky swish."

justjames

He might be finding the correct balance point for the shot at hand. I don't do it to the level as the pros but if I am it's one of two things:

1: working out a hitch in my stroke/body pain to the point I can trust my stroke. Gotta get limbered up.
2: setting the balance point and where the cue rests in my shooting hand. It is only right in one spot for every shot. I want my stroke to feel exactly the same on all shots (or as close as it can be) and modifying where you're gripping is how you do it. Cue balance must feel right for a particular shot/distance from cb to rail etc.
Try not to get caught looking for imaginary balance points. There really is no fixed balance point on a cue. It changes from cue to cue, even the same model from the same manufacturer. There is a spot, as you mentioned, where the shot feels right but that is more a comfort zone than a fixed point. Unfortunately, you cant always be in that comfort zone so you have to play through, whether it feels like its in the perfect spot or not.

As for pre-shot motions of some kind, there are a ton of different routines that players develop over the years. As for that particular move, the only time I did that was when I had a tighter shirt or vest on and had to reach a little for a shot. I stretched like that to get the clothing a little looser. My own pre-shot routine was (and I say was because I tried for years before I broke this bad habit) was to swing my grip hand back and away from my body then in closer and forward for practice stokes while I was lining up a shot. Then I would get down over the shot and start stroking straight along the shot line. The two motions were in opposition of each other and that is not what you want to do. Pool is as much muscle memory as anything else. Depriving yourself of that is just hurting your game. Practice the way you play. And that goes back to the beginning with the pre-shot routines of different players. If its something they have been doing a long time, and its not hurting their game, they will just go with it and hope it messes with the other guys head a little. :)

BillC

Almost every pro I've watched on TV has done this. SVB does it every time. I'm glad no one I play has this habit.
Hello,
I think one aspect that people are overlooking, is that pool is a mind game.. When you are walking around the table, you are planning out your run, thinking of many different things, trying to get your mind "in the zone". Stroking your stick as you walk around the table, can just be another aspect of this... Everybody knows that once you are dialed in, nothing else matters except what's going on in that match.
Thanks,
Bill

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
SVB "hyper-strokes" his practice strokes before he breaks too.
I feel he's just trying to get his adrenaline going, that's all.
To each his own...:cool:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i dont know whats wrong with air strokes
it works for vince..... 😂 😂 😂 😂
apology if someone already posted this
i havent read every fascinating reply.....:ROFLMAO:

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't read all the mumbo jumbo. But this serves to purposes for me and are very important to my pre shot routine.

1: I can feel the shaft if there is any dirt, grime or anything else on the shaft that may distract me from my warm up strokes or more importantly my final stroke, while down on the ball. Wouldn't want to be down on the ball, pull back on my final stroke only to hit a chunk of dirt or some kind of debris on the shaft. I don't want any distractions while down on the ball.

2: loosen up my muscles. Especially in nervous situations where you might feel tight.