What does Team USA’s Mosconi Cup future look like?

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
I've played individual and on teams, I prefer teams... camaraderie thing. But I'm speaking only on teamwork. I do understand all your points about individuals, here it's moot.
A team, where-as there are also singles event, I would be there for my team mate still offering suggestions, it's about acquiring points for the team. But you guys keep referring to individual matches that has nothing to do with The Team & its points/wins.
point: One team I had there was a spread of ages, 27 37 47 57 & 43. We made finals and we were down by 32 points (of possible 32 per match = 64) & 2 matches left. I asked the team if the 27 could play. Everyone said sure. He never made finals before & I thought it be a good experience for him. He got 23 pts back for us and that was against their 2nd best player. He stepped up, I seen his quality & confidence grow, we left him alone. Last player was our best, he lost... oh well. We enjoyed it, had fun, met new friends.
A previous team one old player was being safety to death & was getting P.O'd, said the young player wasn't MAN enough to play offense. I told him to play his game against him. He won & decided right then to incorporate defense, which he was only a 100% offense player. He also said winning was easier using some safety play. Well DUH, I said. Team had a good laugh.

Now you guys understand where I'm coming from about teamwork? Mosconi cup is singles AND team points.

Last edited:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
i think we WON in 19, not so sure about 18 if you get my drift (Shaw, Kaci and Kazakas-sp?) all played poorly iirc

there is no doubt the horses were allowed to run this year

We have two players (SVB & BERG) who can compete with the Euros and Berg had to be scratched

i was counting for more from Sky (as many of you were) and we were disappointed

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I've played individual and on teams, I prefer teams... camaraderie thing. But I'm speaking only on teamwork. I do understand all your points about individuals, here it's moot.
A team, where-as there are also singles event, I would be there for my team mate still offering suggestions, it's about acquiring points for the team. But you guys keep referring to individual matches that has nothing to do with The Team & its points/wins.
point: One team I had there was a spread of ages, 27 37 47 57 & 43. We made finals and we were down by 32 points (of possible 32 per match = 64) & 2 matches left. I asked the team if the 27 could play. Everyone said sure. He never made finals before & I thought it be a good experience for him. He got 23 pts back for us and that was against their 2nd best player. He stepped up, I seen his quality & confidence grow, we left him alone. Last player was our best, he lost... oh well. We enjoyed it, had fun, met new friends.
A previous team one old player was being safety to death & was getting P.O'd, said the young player wasn't MAN enough to play offense. I told him to play his game against him. He won & decided right then to incorporate defense, which he was only a 100% offense player. He also said winning was easier using some safety play. Well DUH, I said. Team had a good laugh.
Certainly, in-match coaching and strategy adjustment is a significant part of amateur pool and if that's your point, fine.

I have attended many Mosconi Cups live, and In-match coaching and strategy refinement are near non-existent at the Mosconi. These are the world's best, and they neither want nor need to be told how to go about their business. Teammates may help each other in the months leading up to the Mosconi, but once they arrive in the city where the Mosconi is to be contested, that's all over. In fact, in singles, I think in-match feedback is far more likely to be a negative influence than a positive influence. In doubles, however, where one player's shot effects where their partner will have to shoot from, there is the need for a little collaboration between playing partners, but even then the need to collaborate is only occasional.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I agree that "team" can't help you when it is 1 v 1 in a physical sense, but I don't think you can dismiss it in a "team" competition.

What I mean is, when you are playing for a team..a collective group, it brings a whole different psyche into the mix than simply playing for yourself.

There are examples all throughout "individual " sports competitions. To a a man, pro golfers that have comleted in the Ryder cup will tell you that the pressure is greater, likewise with Tennis players. Ask a pro tennis player who has competed in the Davis cup if the pressure is different.

Heck, I worked with a tennis coach who played singles at Wimbledon, the most prestigious tournament in the tennis world, and he told me directly that the doubles draw was much more stressful because he was so worried about letting his partner down.

In athletics, when you are playing for an ideal that is much larger than your individual self, it can inspire those with less individual talent to achieve greater heights.

I would imagine that the "point spread" during the last 2 US victories was almost as large as this year in favor of the Euros. So what is the difference? I don't believe dropping Kazakhis and adding Gorst was the difference...
If you're saying that the team match carries a different type of motivation, that's a fair point..

bb9ball

Registered
The US can BARELY field a team. How many players in the US, other than those on this team, play good enough to compete with top Euro players? Guarantee you its less than 20. Top of my head: Bergmann, Shane McMinn, Chip Compton, Dechaine, Donnie Mills, Steyer. I'm already out of names. Point is there are VERY few US players that play big-table on the same level as Euro players. And there are few-to-ZERO in the pipeline as the US has no development program other than local events(mostly bar box) and the ever magical 'GAMBLING".

I can't tell you there is a lot of hope for the future, but I think it is more than zero. Of course, it will depend on if they stick with pool.

The younger kid in this video has a younger brother that plays better than him. The younger brother beat Roberto Gomez in the Texas Open a couple of months ago.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Now you guys understand where I'm coming from about teamwork? Mosconi cup is singles AND team points.
👍playing as a team is all about backing each other up. Everyone has bad days/nights when they are below par. Stepping up and finding your A game while playing cold helps the team in tight situations. When you are all on your game, the team mostly wins. When you are all off, the team mostly loses. But it's the tight matches where you win by backing each other up. No blame, no shame, another time it's your team mate backing you up. When you both know this you are a team.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't tell you there is a lot of hope for the future, but I think it is more than zero. Of course, it will depend on if they stick with pool.

The younger kid in this video has a younger brother that plays better than him. The younger brother beat Roberto Gomez in the Texas Open a couple of months ago.

Very impressive from both players! I need to start watching more junior matches on the tube. These are the type of kids/players that I would love to "sponsor" if my own kids were out of the house. As you said, keeping these kids involved and developing is key. I wonder if there is a mechanism in place to throw these guys some financial support?

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
No one is perfect, even if they're pros. Many times pros will 'forget' something or not notice 'X', that's where team mates come in handy.
That's about all I have for this thread. ... thanks