What happened to my tip?

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It happened with my Talisman and a friends. Her's happened this week.
I barely had my shaft a month and the tip delayered a few layers down.

I put a Moori Med back on but its doesnt seem to hold shape well.

Thinking of going back with a triangle and see how I like it.

IanCt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
frankncali said:
It happened with my Talisman and a friends. Her's happened this week.
I barely had my shaft a month and the tip delayered a few layers down.

I put a Moori Med back on but its doesnt seem to hold shape well.

Thinking of going back with a triangle and see how I like it.
I would highly recommend trying a Sniper, I have tried many, and I am so impressed with them. I used to use Moori Med's and would change them fairly often because of loosing the ability to hold chalk and shape well. I have to lightly scuff or use my tip pik about once every 4 months with my Snipers.

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
kobyp said:
you talkin to me?
I'm sure he is...LOLz...your ferrule looks caked with chalk in the first pic...just replace it and personally I'd put on a Sniper...;)

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 on the snap said:
It looks like it fell off too. All I see is wood.:D

hahaha. Funny thing is, that someone said that to me the first week I had it. Until they saw it up close, they thought I put the tip directly on the shaft.

9 on the snap

Budweiser fears me
Silver Member
kobyp said:
hahaha. Funny thing is, that someone said that to me the first week I had it. Until they saw it up close, they thought I put the tip directly on the shaft.

That's funny. I need a back up shaft for my predator 4k4. I am currently using the 3142, but I was thinking of getting an ob-1 to try something different.

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 on the snap said:
That's funny. I need a back up shaft for my predator 4k4. I am currently using the 3142, but I was thinking of getting an ob-1 to try something different.

To be 100% honest, I HATED it when I first shot with it. I kept missing all my shots by about 1/2 a ball. But I kept at it, and in a couple of days of solid practice I was back to my speed. I love it, and I'm gonna get one for my other cue when I get the money.

When you get ready to buy one, contact KOINKID (Troy). He had a good price and was easy to deal with.

EDIT: Spelling

socks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kobyp said:

i was actually shooting against chris hightower's son jerusalum in a tournament acouple months ago and he was shooting with a ferruleless cue.

now more on topic with the actual thread, yes, you lost the top few layers to delamination. this is very common with layered tips when scruffers, shappers and picks are used on them as picks poke holes through the layers weakining the bond and scruffers and shapers are very abrasive and grab onto the layers and sort of twist them. like everyone else i'd also recommend changing the tip out, maybe per joey, even the pad.

stated in anouther thread on here, the carbon fiber pad used on the ob1 is a different material than standard fiber pads. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=90301
might want to send the shaft off to ob-1 for repair or contact them to purchase a pad for the repair man you choose to use.

in regards to tips, i've used alot, my favorite for non layered is triangle, and so far for layered, i like sniper as well over the others i've tried which are moori, everest, hercules, h2, and talisman. i have a cue on order with albracht thats coming with a kamui so until i get that, i cann't comment on those tips.

IanCt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kobyp said:
To be 100% honest, I HATED it when I first shot with it. I kept missing all my shots by about 1/2 a ball. But I kept at it, and in a couple of days of solid practice I was back to my speed. I love it, and I'm gonna get one for my other cue when I get the money.

When you get ready to buy one, contact KOINKID (Troy). He had a good price and was easy to deal with.

EDIT: Spelling
I was a predator user for years, first ob-1 I bought I played with it for a couple of weeks, hated it and eventually traded it for a tiger x shaft. My predator shaft developed a couple of cracks in the ferrule, so Troy aka KOINKID had the ob-1 for cheap, so I bought it to use as a backup while I sent my predator in for repairs. In the first week or two, my tip started coming apart, so I had a sniper put on and I love it. I still havent sent in my predator for repairs.

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought my OB1 to fit my first cue (rage brand). It sounds stupid to put a nice shaft on a cheapo cue, but I'm comforatble with it so that's all that matters.

The REASON I bought it was because I found a crack in the butt sleeve of my McDermott back in Oct/Nov... Still haven't sent it in for repair, I took the weight bolt out of the McDermott which made it about 15oz and I love it. Definitely keeping the weight out of it when I get it back from repairs, if I ever get around to sending it in.

Now that this tip BS has happened, I'm glad I didn't send it in. I'm back to playing with it until I make a decision about what to do and get it done.

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New update.... I'm in really deep shit now.

I was shooting last night, and the damn tip came OFF....along with the carbon fiber pad.

So now what do I do? Supposed to go to vegas in May, any chance of getting it sent off and back before I go?