What, if any, changes would you make to the Jacoby Tour?

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member
Here's some basic info on the Jacoby Tour:

9-ball, TX Express rules, double elimination.
race to 7 on winners and losers side, final is 1 race to 11.
Events are $1000 added & $1000 guaranteed for 1st.
Tour card is $30/year or players can pay $10 reg fee per event. (if memory serves)
They run a travelling break and run pot, break contest, and have a raffle for a Jacoby cue at every event.
Player of the Year would get paid entry to the US Open. (not sure if this still holds)


Now all this seems pretty sporty, however their last event had 5 players & has consistenly struggled to get double digit entries. So, what would you do to make this better?
 
Advertise, and maybe promote it. I read the other posts about it being an open event. Im fairly new to nc, and i like open events im a player who actually likes non-handicap events and would love a 60 dollar shot to play earl or whatever other pro may attend. Please earl beat me 7-0 i like it! lol! Nothin like a good a$$ whippin to get you in stroke thats my way of thinking anyhow.

I would think an open event tour would thrive here since all other tournies i've seen are handicapped but maybe im wrong? I would think they could schedule it fairly easily around shannons tour since jacoby is only once a month.
 
Advertise, and maybe promote it. I read the other posts about it being an open event. Im fairly new to nc, and i like open events im a player who actually likes non-handicap events and would love a 60 dollar shot to play earl or whatever other pro may attend. Please earl beat me 7-0 i like it! lol! Nothin like a good a$$ whippin to get you in stroke thats my way of thinking anyhow.

I would think an open event tour would thrive here since all other tournies i've seen are handicapped but maybe im wrong? I would think they could schedule it fairly easily around shannons tour since jacoby is only once a month.

Glad to see this is generating some more discussion. I agree, I believe it is an issue of advertising and promotion vs the format, itself. I believe its good for the area to have a pro-level open tournament. In addition to our local pro and semi-pro's like BJ and Michael Fuller, past events have featured, Earl, Rodney Morris, Mike Davis, Raj Hundal, Johnny Archer, Larry Nevel, Shawn Putnam, etc.
 
I couldn't believe the low turnouts when i read it. $1000 for first and they get 5 or so players. :confused

Maybe they do need to handicap it a little. Maybe lower the entry fee. I don't know what it is at now. If its at $50, and they get 5-8 players, maybe they can charge $25. If they get 10-16 players, it would really be the same thing they are doing right now. I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to get 20+ players for a $25 entry fee. Many people won't or can't throw away(in their eyes) $50 to play when they have no chance. You could say the same thing about $25, but if the person went to the pool hall to just hit balls, many times their table time would be around $25 for a day of playing anyway. At least they can have some good competition for around the same cost.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top