What is a Cosmo?

Terry Erdman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching the DCC and Diliberto explained that at Johnston City a player named Cosmo did an exhibition and they refer to something as a "Cosmo" but I never did get the definition of what it was. Anybody know? Thanks, Terry

S

Scottster

Terry Erdman said:
Watching the DCC and Diliberto explained that at Johnston City a player named Cosmo did an exhibition and they refer to something as a "Cosmo" but I never did get the definition of what it was. Anybody know? Thanks, Terry

Back in the Johnston City Days, There was this player who did an Exhibition by the name of Thomas Cosmo.

He would have a pre planned layout out of the balls (Easy run) and run the table out.

breaktime2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty much it's a shoot and stop for perfect position on the next shot...stop..repeat never a hard shot.

JLW

Dunder Mifflin Salesman
Silver Member
breaktime2 said:
Pretty much it's a shoot and stop for perfect position on the next shot...stop..repeat never a hard shot.
Oh, so it's pretty much like Vincent's runouts in the Color of Money? :rolleyes: That's one of the things that always bugged me about that movie. None of his runouts require any great ability, and yet everyone seems so impressed with his shooting.

Last edited:

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
Scottster said:
Back in the Johnston City Days, There was this player who did an Exhibition by the name of Thomas Cosmo.

He would have a pre planned layout out of the balls (Easy run) and run the table out.

... and dance between shots, mustn't forget that. He did exhibitions for money according to Dileberto on another accu-stats tape and was a professional dancer also.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JLW said:
Oh, so it's pretty much like Vincent's runouts in the Color of Money? :rolleyes: That's one of the things that always bugged me about that movie. None of his runouts require any great ability, and yet everyone seems so impressed with his shooting.

JLW...It was a MOVIE! Things always play that way in the movies.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

ChrisOnline

4 8 15 16 23 42
Silver Member
kinda like the expression i like to use when its an easy run....

"I AM OUT LIKE THE FAT KID IN DODGE BALL!" lol..

one of my favorites..lol..

chris

JLW

Dunder Mifflin Salesman
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
JLW...It was a MOVIE! Things always play that way in the movies.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
No, not always. There are movies where the actors actually demonstrate a decent degree of proficiency in the sport or activity they're participating in. Take Million Dollar Baby, for instance. Hillary Swank's actually pretty impressive (IMO) in that movie. With regard to The Color of Money, I just felt that they (or, I guess, Mike Sigel specifically) could have used a little more imagination for Vince's runouts. That doesn't even mean they really even needed to be more difficult; just not such obvious paint-by-numbers set ups.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
JLW said:
No, not always. There are movies where the actors actually demonstrate a decent degree of proficiency in the sport or activity they're participating in. Take Million Dollar Baby, for instance. Hillary Swank's actually pretty impressive (IMO) in that movie. With regard to The Color of Money, I just felt that they (or, I guess, Mike Sigel specifically) could have used a little more imagination for Vince's runouts. That doesn't even mean they really even needed to be more difficult; just not such obvious paint-by-numbers set ups.

Yeah, but you gotta remember that a movie like The Color Of Money is made for entertainment purposes. It's gotta look cool for the Joe Blow that has never picked up a cue before. I really like that movie for what it is, a good advertisement for the sport that I love, but on the other side of that I hate that movie because it brings in a lot of dumb kids that think they're Tom Cruise and start twirling the cue around or making noises when they make a ball.

Anyone that has any knowledge of the game can tell that Tom Cruise isn't a pool player by just looking at his bridge hand. I've seen that exact same bridge on beginners way too many times to be fooled by it on the silver screen.

On another note, ESPN matches are also geared for entertainment. It has to have some sort of appeal for the couch potato that has never played before or just knocks balls around the table. That's why 9-ball is the main game shown on TV. It's fast and the chances to see a bank shot or a fluke are huge. A person that doesn't love the game can not appreciate the skills it takes to run a hundred balls in 14.1. The game is too slow and it won't keep people sitting in front of their TV's. ESPN is appealing to the average person, not the player. I would assume that most "players" would much prefer the Accu-Stats type format over the ESPN garbage.
MULLY
just my opinion