What is a good way for a low-level player to handle unwanted advice?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have some regular newer players that come in here that have really screwed up fundamentals / stance / alignment, that are clearly frustrated that they are not getting better as much as they play. I know I could help them but unless they ask me, I generally keep my mouth shut.

The problem with these players is that if they stick with their screwy fundamentals for too long, then it becomes that much harder for them to change even when they are given basic proper advice.

Most of them, even if given much needed advice, are just too impatient to give it a chance to work. Novice level players in a pool room that has a number of higher skilled players often don’t understand the amount of work / years it takes to get to that level, with the exception of those few that are extremely naturally gifted for pool.

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few days ago a guy I played once using a new cue I was trying to get used to decided he needed to teach me what "english" is, but he wasn't even knowledgable enough to use the term "english," so he was all "hit it this way and it goes that way," etc., and he sucked so bad at pool that even his demonstration was pathetic.

Do you really not understand why that annoys me?
You should try to gamble with the guy, easy money. If you are against something like that, just make a joke, if it is a good one perhaps both of you can laugh, or everyone can laugh at him. I understand getting annoyed, I don't understand allowing others to have control over you. Just how bad are you at this pool thing? There has to be something that draws them to you.

Minnesota Phat

You should try to gamble with the guy, easy money. If you are against something like that, just make a joke, if it is a good one perhaps both of you can laugh, or everyone can laugh at him. I understand getting annoyed, I don't understand allowing others to have control over you. Just how bad are you at this pool thing? There has to be something that draws them to you.
Well I had just bought a new cue - an antique Brunswick Master Stroke - and I was trying to get used to it. I was previously using an 11.8mm LD shaft with a standard butt, so it's quite an adjustment.

I'm new to trying to play the game in a serious way, and I don't have my technique down yet, and I don't own a table, so practicing drills is very expensive. The closest billiards hall is 30 minutes away, and $6/hour, with no "all-night" rate, and no drink deals. Playing for five hours costs me about $80, or $50 if I just drink water (which I never do). I've pretty much given up on trying to be an expert player, until I can acquire a table.

If I played as much as I'd like, we'd be talking something like $1,800/month, not including the cost of equipment, or wear and tear on my vehicles.

In my small town, the few places with pool tables are bars. There used to be a tobacco shop here with a sign that read "For a small town, this one sure has a lot of A-holes." I know some gems here, but most of the bars are depressing, obnoxious drunks are common, and there's a high potential for confrontation, to put it mildly.

Not to mention that at $1.50 per rack, practicing drills here costs about $15/hour. Even just trying to run racks for practice is something like $10/hour.

The guy giving advice about english was in the one bar in town where I don't have beef with anyone, so I decided to be nice to him and let him feel good about himself. It was more of a zen exercise than letting him control me - I had the option to mock him or brush him off with a joke, but I chose to let him take two minutes to explain something I already knew.

I play pool because I love the game - I'm not trying to squeeze money out of guys who are just trying to be friendly, even if I could.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
" I pay for Lessons!" Was my recent response when an unknown person at the bar interject himself to my practice. It was quickly followed with, "I also charge for lessons." Crickets.🤷

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I had just bought a new cue - an antique Brunswick Master Stroke - and I was trying to get used to it. I was previously using an 11.8mm LD shaft with a standard butt, so it's quite an adjustment.

I'm new to trying to play the game in a serious way, and I don't have my technique down yet, and I don't own a table, so practicing drills is very expensive. The closest billiards hall is 30 minutes away, and $6/hour, with no "all-night" rate, and no drink deals. Playing for five hours costs me about $80, or $50 if I just drink water (which I never do). I've pretty much given up on trying to be an expert player, until I can acquire a table.

If I played as much as I'd like, we'd be talking something like $1,800/month, not including the cost of equipment, or wear and tear on my vehicles.

In my small town, the few places with pool tables are bars. There used to be a tobacco shop here with a sign that read "For a small town, this one sure has a lot of A-holes." I know some gems here, but most of the bars are depressing, obnoxious drunks are common, and there's a high potential for confrontation, to put it mildly.

Not to mention that at $1.50 per rack, practicing drills here costs about $15/hour. Even just trying to run racks for practice is something like $10/hour.

The guy giving advice about english was in the one bar in town where I don't have beef with anyone, so I decided to be nice to him and let him feel good about himself. It was more of a zen exercise than letting him control me - I had the option to mock him or brush him off with a joke, but I chose to let him take two minutes to explain something I already knew.

I play pool because I love the game - I'm not trying to squeeze money out of guys who are just trying to be friendly, even if I could.
Your situation is a little different than mine. To be honest, I don't think I can relate. My experience in pool halls has been completely different, and my reaction to all of it was different, but I also did not care about the cost so the time was not of the essence.
Also, our pool rates are not cheap either, but they are days and hours were you can get a very good deal, or you can play for free after getting knocked out of tournaments. I hate being rude to people in general, and most likely would take it case by case, depending on situation.
So, sometimes nice and listen, sometimes a joke, or deflect and change subject. I don't know. Well, good luck. I hope it all works out for you.

Edit:
Wait a minute, I can sort of relate, when I was learning how to play, I wanted to play non stop and I did not feel like chatting most of the time.
I remember having to sit and listen to some guy talking, but I was hoping to get back to playing. Yeah, it sucked.

Last edited:

Minnesota Phat

Your situation is a little different than mine. To be honest, I don't think I can relate. My experience in pool halls has been completely different, and my reaction to all of it was different, but I also did not care about the cost so the time was not of the essence.
Also, our pool rates are not cheap either, but they are days and hours were you can get a very good deal, or you can play for free after getting knocked out of tournaments. I hate being rude to people in general, and most likely would take it case by case, depending on situation.
So, sometimes nice and listen, sometimes a joke, or deflect and change subject. I don't know. Well, good luck. I hope it all works out for you.

Edit:
Wait a minute, I can sort of relate, when I was learning how to play, I wanted to play non stop and I did not feel like chatting most of the time.
I remember having to sit and listen to some guy talking, but I was hoping to get back to playing. Yeah, it sucked.
Oh I like the billiards hall - it's just extremely expensive and inconvenient, and offers no deals on anything, unless you want to play during the day, which I don't. The thing that sucks is there is nowhere else I can go to play pool other than bars, or places that are an even longer drive.

It's very hard not to be rude to someone who is volunteering dumb advice - the point of the post is to ask advice on how to politely get people to stop offering it. I do appreciate good advice from expert players, but it's almost always low-level players who volunteer oodles of advice, and their advice is often either painfully obvious, useless, or just plain wrong. Good players will usually only offer advice if asked, or will be tactful and offer a small piece of easily-digestible advice - I've never had an issue with an expert player offering me too much advice.

Reactions: bbb

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Read books then refer to those and the authors when answering someone's advice.

For example: Well, Byrne says that approaching the stance..... (give a great quote) Is that what you mean when you said steer the cue?

Jeff Livingston