What is a Pro Pool Player?

lstevedus

One of the 47%
Silver Member
Looking for a definition here. Also what is a Pro event? There doesn't seem to be anything that defines a pro player or a pro event in pool since anyone can pay the entry fee and play in any tournament except for maybe a couple of exceptions.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Looking for a definition here. Also what is a Pro event? There doesn't seem to be anything that defines a pro player or a pro event in pool since anyone can pay the entry fee and play in any tournament except for maybe a couple of exceptions.

I think it goes beyond the fact that a professional makes money at playing pool. So do some tournament winners as well as some league players.
Around my parts we classify pool players by 'speed'. A ten speed being equal to an A player, for instance.
Anything above that we consider professional level.
Anything above that we consider......Keith McCready. :smile:

Last edited:

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brian Parks won his 4th amateur APA Championship. However I didn't see him listed in the top 100 U.S men fargo rate.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
"Professional" is one who "professes" to a certain discipline....
...so any hustler or road player could be called a "pro"....
...but not always a "card carrying pro"

However, one who "confesses" is not a "confessional"

And one who "congresses" is not a "congressional"...although they tend to have "pros"
there....also "antis"

pt...armchair pedantic....and ruthless exposer of "folk etymologies"

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Not me!!!!!!!

I would consider a pro anyone who makes the majority of their income by playing and winning tournaments.

Last edited:

I think that a pro pool player is a player who successfully makes a living playing pool, without any other source of income. Then there are pro level players that just play pool as a hobby (that only play because they love the game and maybe also love to compete , but not as a job. So, there are at least a few meanings I think.

A pro event is an event that is completely open to all levels of players, and is not handi capped (and normally has a good amount of money added).

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that a pro pool player is a player who successfully makes a living playing pool, without any other source of income.

My definition is that a pro makes "most" of his (or her) income by playing pool. This income can be from winning tournaments or from teaching or from hustling. It can't come from simply owing a pool hall.

PoolChump

Banned
Professional Pool Player

The term "professional" means: 2.
(of a person) engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.

There are quite a few pool playing experts that don't play pool for a living as a main income generating source but have the ability to beat any player.:thumbup:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally think in the specific pool context, the term pro only has to do with playing ability. Not the person's income at all.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I personally think in the specific pool context, the term pro only has to do with playing ability. Not the person's income at all.

That's how I see it. For any sport, the terminology is dependent on the culture of that activity. For pool, if you make a living off the game some how, or play full time, you can call yourself a professional pool player. But if someone tells me they are a pro, I typically think of the skill level designation not the vocation.

In snooker, a pro is anyone who is part of the 128 player main tour. So telling someone that a player like Ben Harrison from the UK or Shachar Ruberg from Isreal are great amateur snooker players is a bit misleading from a pool culture perspective, since if they switched to pool they would be competing as low to mid-level professional pool players.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pro players, in my opinion, are people who make their living playing pool and say so on their tax forms, just like any other professional; electrician, teacher, real-estate agent etc.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You go to a professional, when you want someone who knows their shit, inside and out. Whether that is an accountant, an engineer, a painter, or a cleaning company. It is based on the skill and knowledge of the person. Their income is secondary.

In pool, if you want to know the right way to run a rack, you go to Buddy Hall. You don't go to Janette Lee.

A pro pool player is only skill based. This is especially true, because in pool, there is no money to be made. So the players who are paid the most (Janette) aren't even the best players.

My 2 cents for this recurring topic:)

Carolina_Giant

Perfection=Serenity
Silver Member
I would classify a professional pool player as having 5 qualifications:

1. A person who is a student of the game. By student I mean they learn the history of the game, they learn the ins and outs of exactly how balls respond to english, english after hitting a rail, how to cheat pockets, jump effectively, etc. These folks are not one trick ponies and their knowledge of the game is much deeper than an amateur.

2. Hone that knowledge through hours of time devoted to practicing, drills, seeking out opponents to play, and tournaments on a daily basis. A professional does not simply sit on the knowledge they have. They are constantly looking to be tested, apply, and pick up new knowledge.

3. A burning desire to win no matter who the opponent is. This one is a more of a personal preference than an absolute requirement. To my mind, pool and all its forms is not simply a game to professionals. It stings badly when they lose, and not just monetarily. A true professional doesn't feel sorry for their opponent, doesn't care how much money they take from someone, at least in the moment of play. To quote Earl Strickland, they will "shoot your liver out and hand it to you".

4. A big win doesn't curb the hunger. A true professional pool player doesn't care if they just won the U.S. Open 9 ball championship last week. Within a week, they are ready to go to small town nowhere and win a $500 first place prize. This doesn't always mean they will, because a pro will take a great deal of time to plan what tournaments and events to attend around their practice schedule, and is also likely to fit some money matches in as well. Yet no matter how often they win, the hunger remains. When the hunger dies, you will often see these folks retire into the sunset.

5. The money is secondary to the game itself. This may be being a bit of an idealist, but here me out. There is no doubt these folks want to make money, and they enter big events because of big pots. But I believe at the end of the day, a true professional wants not only the money, but the satisfaction of knowing they outlasted a field of people who are on fire for the game as much as they are, and then took em all down. These folks also are highly respectful of the rules and stand for both integrity and respect. You can disrespect them (sometimes to your peril). But if you cheat, disrespect the game, or don't give your best, deep down they are going to be more ticked than you can imagine.

The money does matter. But being a professional is a combination of skillset and mindset. If you really think about it, it isn't the money that a pro make that keeps them from competing in amateur events realistically. That is just the visible measuring stick of their success and attitude. What really matters is the level of play, the dedicating and time spent in the game, and how they approach a match. A professional isn't having fun with mates at the table. They're a cold blooded assassin ready to gut anyone who steps up to challenge them. This translates into more work on honing their knowledge and abilities, which most players simply cannot match.

As for a pro event, I would classify that as any event where the entry fee is over $100. I know some pros may laugh at me, and some amateurs. But really think about it. If you are willing to plop down a hundred dollars on a tournament or a match like its nothing, you either are one of the most arrogant aholes on the planet, or you know if your heart of hearts you can either win it back later or you're gonna gut the person who takes your challenge up. For a lot of folks, $100 means something, unless someone else is putting the money up for you. Most folks don't have backers and won't bet their own money past $20 a game (thank you Poolhall Junkies). A pro, ready to lay money on the line for a big payout and a chance to prove they are number one for the day/week. That means a pro event is going to raise the stakes to attract the highest level of player and competition, not just for the money, but the glory.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of your points, 1 through 5, are good, but a "B" player can fill each of those 5 qualifications.

<== Time to sleep:)

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very simple: Professional - One who participates for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

BINGO!
Of all the posts, I agree with yours, Iusedto.
There are tons of players that can play jam-up, some just as good as some top 100 in world, yet have (and choose) other vocations.
Donnie Mills is just one who rings a bell.

Income from an endeavor is fluid from year-to-year.
Playing ability usually stays around the same--in the context of high level pool playing.

tommyhill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the late 80's a through the mid 90's i played on both the PBT ( professional billiards tour ) and the Camel Pro Tour. Back in those days a player could not just pay the entry fee and play. you had to earn points through regional and state qualifiers and smaller tours like the old McDermott tour and Joss tour in order to qualify to play on the pro tour. I did make my living at playing pool but it was peanuts. there has not been a Professional Tour since therefore I have a hard time calling any of these modern day players ' PROFESSIONALS " because there is no pro tour for them to play on. thats like saying the best baseball players in the mens adult league are professional baseball players,
Im sure there are many of people out there that will disagree with me and thats ok. I have total respect for these great players of today and i know i cant beat shane or rodney or any of the other hot shots. the fact is i feel bad for these guys. they are out there playing in stuff like the Mezz tour and simelar others just to scrape up some pennies playing schmucks like me. this sport needs to get its crap together and develop a professional tour and support our players.