What is happening to this site?

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been a member of this site for just over a year I think and it has changed so much. I used to love to come here and spend most of my time off on here reading threads and learning from other people on here. It was a place where a person could post a question and get an answer quickly. A place where you could feel free to post anything you wanted pool related and find out what others think about it. I thought AZB was a place we could post information to help others enjoy the world of pool and billiards. That has all seemed to change.

Now I look at the postings and can tell most of the ones written by people new to the site that just don't look for their answers prior to posting. That is pretty typical though. I also see a lot of threads where a question is asked and you can read multiple responses to the question that are either invalid, sarcastic, condescending or completely off the topic asked. I see people attacking others with words if they have other beliefs. Why cant we all just get along?

If you have a valid question ask it. If you have a valid answer to a question post it. If you are reminded of a question because of another post then simply start a new post for your question.

It seems to me that some of the people on here are very knowledgeable and have no problem sharing with others. Yet some people that have a lot of knowledge seem to think they are better then or above others they perceive as being less knowledgeable. This place should be a judgement free site where everyone is allowed their opinion.
 
Over the past year not much has changed.

Forums in general, espescially the larger ones simply aren't places
where one will get the "let's all get along, kumbaya" spirit. You will
need a fairly thick skin to be here (or most any other large forum)
for any considerable amount of time. There will be trolls, jokes made
at your expense and general rudeness. This is just a product of the
anonimity a forum provides.

Hasn't changed much over time, really.

Kind regards, Dave.
 
I am a big fan of communication. I like it when people seek knowledge and really do not care for it when replies are given in a sarcastic way without any guidance what-so-ever. It can get a little frazzling to read the same questions over and over again.

I am guilty of whipping out the sarcasm stick every once in a while, but I try to always follow up with some kind of rational, lucid reply to the matter at hand. Statements that include "Can't be a high-end cue if it doesn't have ivory in it" or "please recommend a shaft that is whippy-stiff" are troll-bait that will never fail to snag my rapier-like wit. I do enjoy chasing the dragon every now and again.

Warmest regards,

Lesh
 
Over the past year not much has changed.

Forums in general, espescially the larger ones simply aren't places
where one will get the "let's all get along, kumbaya" spirit. You will
need a fairly thick skin to be here (or most any other large forum)
for any considerable amount of time. There will be trolls, jokes made
at your expense and general rudeness. This is just a product of the
anonimity a forum provides.

Hasn't changed much over time, really.

Kind regards, Dave.

I agree with DD. That is about my sentiment as well. Just have to take the good and ignore the bad. Some people are just too judgmental and some just misunderstood the conversation. Most are decent and want to share, but then you get some fringe humanoids that want to make a mess of it all. Be part of the former group! LOL.
 
Also the search function is rubbish...so asking repeat questions if often the only way!
 
Also the search function is rubbish...so asking repeat questions if often the only way!

Agreed the built in search is fairly useless but googling the site works very well.

To search the forum via google or bing just type site:forums.azbilliards.com followed by what you're searching for in your web browser. This morning I was looking at:

site:forums.azbilliards.com hxt skinny
 
Agreed the built in search is fairly useless but googling the site works very well.

To search the forum via google or bing just type site:forums.azbilliards.com followed by what you're searching for in your web browser. This morning I was looking at:

site:forums.azbilliards.com hxt skinny

Good tip, that never occurred to me, will try that in future!
 
I've asked for quite some time to add a beginner's section. That way the more skilled players have their choice of contributing or not. It would also alleviate the "not this again" posts to a thread.

Lesser players would also feel more comfortable starting threads without the fear of criticism, etc.
 
it's hard to get questions answered at times also, the instructor section seems kinda clickish, I guess I shouldn't of questioned their ability
 
I have been a member of this site for just over a year I think and it has changed so much. I used to love to come here and spend most of my time off on here reading threads and learning from other people on here. It was a place where a person could post a question and get an answer quickly. A place where you could feel free to post anything you wanted pool related and find out what others think about it. I thought AZB was a place we could post information to help others enjoy the world of pool and billiards. That has all seemed to change.

Now I look at the postings and can tell most of the ones written by people new to the site that just don't look for their answers prior to posting. That is pretty typical though. I also see a lot of threads where a question is asked and you can read multiple responses to the question that are either invalid, sarcastic, condescending or completely off the topic asked. I see people attacking others with words if they have other beliefs. Why cant we all just get along?

If you have a valid question ask it. If you have a valid answer to a question post it. If you are reminded of a question because of another post then simply start a new post for your question.

It seems to me that some of the people on here are very knowledgeable and have no problem sharing with others. Yet some people that have a lot of knowledge seem to think they are better then or above others they perceive as being less knowledgeable. This place should be a judgement free site where everyone is allowed their opinion.
How is this different than most other sites or for that matter your place of income? I have yet to see one company that I have worked for have a group of people that were entirely conforming to one another. Everyone has a right to express themselves - some not so positive - but this is a public place that you can actually leave if you don't like it. You may not understand everyone's behavior and at the end of the day, does it really matter? If you post a question, you will get an answer. Even if some of the replies "stink". Some won't.
 
How is this different than most other sites or for that matter your place of income? I have yet to see one company that I have worked for have a group of people that were entirely conforming to one another. Everyone has a right to express themselves - some not so positive - but this is a public place that you can actually leave if you don't like it. You may not understand everyone's behavior and at the end of the day, does it really matter? If you post a question, you will get an answer. Even if some of the replies "stink". Some won't.


I couldn't have said it better.
Eight years ago, when I was one of the new kids on the block, I felt a little overwhelmed by all the negativism, cynicism, and downright meanness that one could find here.
I also, however, found positive responses that were optimistic and caring.
There are all kinds of people here. Sometimes you just have to dig a little deeper for them. :)
 
To search the forum via google or bing just type site:forums.azbilliards.com followed by what you're searching for in your web browser.

Agreed, searching via Google "site:" search is much better. You can use the Google "Search tools" button to limit the timeframe.

Also, I was recently on a non-pool related forum and they don't let you search more than 30 days back unless you are a member. But searching via Google works just fine.
 
Regarding what has happened to AZB, I gave the definitive answer to this question several months ago - Doesn't Anyone Use The Search Feature Around Here!! Haha just kidding.

I could be wrong but it seems like most negative responses come to people that post snark or over the top opinions. I don't recall many people being flamed for asking "How should I practice draw shots?"
 
Back
Top