What is the best ferrule material

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
granted there are some differences. but if you play well your mind and hands adjust to whatever equipment you are using. if you dont play well you tend to blame your not so good results on equipment. that is being human.
that being said softer hitting cues are harder to use when playing games where you hit a lot of slow shots or soft hits. for me at least.

i still like ivory but if you play where its cold ivory cracks if you dont let it warm up before you play and hit it hard.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was fortunate enough to be able to buy quite a bit of the original MasonH micarta directly from MasonH and it is to this day the best ferrule material for me. It is also what we use on our highest-end shafts unless the customer wants something else.

Why? It is one of the lightest ferrule materials out there while still being hard enough to provide a good hit and it stays perfectly clean.

Every ferrule material has some sort of compromise, the compromise with the MasonH stuff is that is far from white (more of a translucent slight green) and it is not the strongest material out there. It's not weak by any means but other materials are stronger.

Regards, Dave
It is a great playing material if you like a yellow ferrule. Mason turned over the sales of that material to me when he decided to quit selling it. My Yellow Micarta on my site is the same material.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Varying important question.
I can tell everyone was wondering what the story, update, is on this particular ferrule
This is good stuff for me,

Corian almond 3/4" stock
why: in abundance and cheap in ferrule quantities, machinable, polishes out,
stays clean with ease, hard and will not take a hard fall on concrete.
I break and play with it, Triangle tip

1year ago

ferruleagain.jpg

Present day - this is I'm thinking in best playing condition,
I've probably scuffed 2/3's of the tip off.
Like to think it's a contributing factor for my current winning league sessions.
It also could be my un intentional sandbagging with captains getting me winnable matches.

ferruleagain1yr.jpg
This shaft/ferrule has been officially retired. early 2022, it lost that loving touch for some reason.

Last edited:

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

Can someone enlighten me on the difference in ferrule material, why is ivory better and is juma a plastic . is there a decent cheaper ferrule that a lot of people use, maybe Juma as I see that a lot. Trying to further my education in the pool cue market. Thanks
So I have been testing Isoplast (sold on AZ and eBay) and it plays well.

Better than my factor ferrule.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

Can someone enlighten me on the difference in ferrule material, why is ivory better and is juma a plastic . is there a decent cheaper ferrule that a lot of people use, maybe Juma as I see that a lot. Trying to further my education in the pool cue market. Thanks
Why do you assume ivory is better? Juma is a thermoset plastic and it's a good compromise between weight and strength. Easy to machine and polishes up nicely. From a cue makers perspective it's readily available and cheap.
I have drawers full of just about every ferrule material as they vary quite a bit. If you're looking for Ivory, but without all the ethical and practical challenges, why not use Elforyn Super Tusk?

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
in what way? comparing how a ferrule feels/plays is like herding cats. You want light weight to reduce end-mass thus deflection. Tomahawk wins on all counts. Best info on ferrules i've seen: https://www.dzcues.com/ferrules.html
I have one shaft with Tomahawk and have zero complaints.
It plays nearly as soft as the putty ferrules that come on the Cynergy shafts but does not scratch or gouge if you look at it sideways like the factory ferrule.
It is also much easier to keep clean for those of us who install our own tip w/o a lathe.
I am having a 2nd shaft done with the stuff as soon as I can make the drive to the cue guy.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reading this thread and wondering why nobody is talking abut the copper/brass/bronze ferules they put on Snooker cues or the occasional Titanium Ferrules.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Reading this thread and wondering why nobody is talking abut the copper/brass/bronze ferules they put on Snooker cues or the occasional Titanium Ferrules.
Weight. Metal ferrules are going to deflect more. Especially at larger diameters.
where can one buy mason micarta now a days?
It is a great playing material if you like a yellow ferrule. Mason turned over the sales of that material to me when he decided to quit selling it. My Yellow Micarta on my site is the same material.