"What is the best" question answers

danquixote

DanQuixote
Silver Member
I have seen many posts that begin with ....What is the best______for $_______. Invaribly.....after waxing poetic about the virtues of their choices.....most knowledgeable players conceed that the opinions expressed are subjective at best.....and then go on to recommend the questioner play with as many different types and models as he/she can lay their hands on. So fellow posters......do the homework required to ask a question that you will derive some benefit from. In the end.....you are the only one that can answer the question......what is best for me? granted....the opinions of others can point you to a starting place....but it is still a decision that should be based on personal experience.....not subjective opinion.
 
The answer to just about every question about personal equipment is exactly as you said "what the inquisitor likes best"... however, they may not even know about all the options available to them, so asking a question like that is gives them the possible answers they're looking for. At least, I don't think anyone expects to get a solid, agreed upon single product answer to any question involving in equipment.
 
I agree that asking someone else what is the best cue/tip/chalk/etc isn't going to get the ultimate correct answer for anyone, but it could keep them from making a big mistake.

Suppose I am a brand new player, and I was watching pool on tv and saw a commercial for Cuetec cues. Now, not knowing how to even string together a run of two, I might think that this must be one of the best cues out there, since they are sponsoring professional pool on tv. And were I to ask for opinions on this forum, I suspect I would get enough reaction to help me decide whether that was the cue I should be considering or not.

So there is some potential for some good knowledge from these posts.

But ultimately, the OP is correct...what's best for one may not be best for someone else.

Steve
 
Back
Top