What is the difference between Lambros Ultra Joint 1 and 2?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the difference between Lambros Ultra Joint 1 and 2?

I've seen the #1 up close several times, but I've never seen a #2. Are they interchangeable?

Thank you.
 
What is the difference between Lambros Ultra Joint 1 and 2?

I've seen the #1 up close several times, but I've never seen a #2. Are they interchangeable?

Thank you.
They are not interchangeable. There's an additional fillet or chamfer on the Ultra II pilot for three surfaces (lead, fillet/chamfer, face)

http://s1257.beta.photobucket.com/user/tkuong/media/thubosky Lambros/image_1.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=1

Vs the straight wall lead with slightly chamfered face of the joint for two surfaces.

http://www.3cushion.com/on line collection/cues/lambros.htm

Freddie <~~~ has a II but wants a I
 
Ah, ok. I see now. Thank you very much for the explanation and the links. I wonder why he changed. Perhaps the #1's sharp edges on the butt half were prone to chipping.
 
The ultra joint#1 is far superior than the #2.Thats why you see
99% of Mikes cues have the 3x810 pin instead of the Radial pin
thats on the #2.
I've hit with both and there was something odd feeling with the
Ultra joint#2.
 
I didn't notice the joint screws were also different, and now see the radial thread on the #2's pictures.
 
To be honest,all the Lambros cues I've played with including the
Ultra joint#2 played good but nothing spectacular.The cues have
lots of feel but so do many other cues.
I played with 1 that hit superb and the funny thing with that one was
the shafts did up tight but not over-bearing like the others I had.

His shaftwood is exceptional and in my opinion his regular shafts
feel better and has less deflection than his laminated Ultra shafts.
 
Ah, ok. I see now. Thank you very much for the explanation and the links. I wonder why he changed. Perhaps the #1's sharp edges on the butt half were prone to chipping.

From my article on him, Mike has always tried to maximize intimate contact at the joint. The design of the Ultra Joint II with the tight tolerances he could achieve successfully allows three surfaces of contact all in compression with an extremely high torque capacity (threads wont strip unless under crazy load).

I've not had further in depth discussions with him on the reason Ultra II really didn't/hasn't taken off.

Freddie <~~~ ultra impressed
 
Back
Top