What is this ? HELP Identify old Helmstetter !!!

Ant D

Hi All--

New here on the forums. I used to play quite a lot 25-30 years back, just recently got back into pool and joined local team in APA league.
I went through the closet and found my old cues. I have a Helmstetter that I believe I bought back in mid or late 90's, would greatly appreciate the expertise of the people on the forums to give me a little info on this cue. Irish linen wrap, 4 point, beautiful inlays, don't believe the shaft is pro taper. As you can see there is a "V" on the butt, no idea what that is, only thing I can think of is the fact I bought it from V. Lauria in NYC, maybe they stamped the cues they sold ? Wish I had better recollection or info for you all to work with, that's really all I can remember, I don't know too much other than what I've started researching on line.
Any help is greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance.
Anthony

IMG_5712.jpg
IMG_5715.jpg
IMG_5720.jpg
IMG_5719.jpg
IMG_5721.jpg

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats a real nice old school design Helmstetter cue.
Those cues were made in Japan and are among the best production cues ever made.

Ant D

Thanks MM
Ok, ok, interesting. We are getting somewhere, thanks for that.
Is there any value here ? I have yet to find one similar in any for sale place or eBa. While there are Helmstetter's on eBay ask price ranges from couple of hundred dollars to over 1k.
Looking for more detail into what exactly I have here.
Thanks again.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This cue is likely of Chinese/Taiwanese origin. Japanese Helm's never had roman numerals on them. when ADAM switched to Chi/Tai shops around '95ish they started using them. Early Lucasi's and Chinese Helm's(often made in same plant) had roman numbers as dating methods. Still a nice cue tho just doesn't have the cache of the Japan-built cues. My friend's version has different joint rings and still has the 'Made in Japan' sticker on the buttcap.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks MM
Ok, ok, interesting. We are getting somewhere, thanks for that.
Is there any value here ? I have yet to find one similar in any for sale place or eBa. While there are Helmstetter's on eBay ask price ranges from couple of hundred dollars to over 1k.
Looking for more detail into what exactly I have here.
Thanks again.

Well if you are getting back into playing, why sell it now? Seems like exactly the wrong time to sell a cue when you are getting back to using it vs it sitting in the closet for 30 years LOL

If you are hankerin' to try out an LD shaft or something, you can find them with a pin and even ringwork to match the cue you have. IMHO you selling it to make a few 100 bucks would not worth you missing the cue you had for decades back when you started playing. I sold a 90s Joss Limited cue for like $250 years ago to help pay for a trip to Jr Nationals with my son and wished I had not done that every year since.

That is a nice classic looking cue that will never look outdated or odd, you should consider keeping it even if you want to try out another design/build type.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if you are getting back into playing, why sell it now? Seems like exactly the wrong time to sell a cue when you are getting back to using it vs it sitting in the closet for 30 years LOL

If you are hankerin' to try out an LD shaft or something, you can find them with a pin and even ringwork to match the cue you have. IMHO you selling it to make a few 100 bucks would not worth you missing the cue you had for decades back when you started playing. I sold a 90s Joss Limited cue for like $250 years ago to help pay for a trip to Jr Nationals with my son and wished I had not done that every year since.
most of these had 5/16x14 pins so a lot of shafts will fit. its a nice old cue and a good player. i'd keep if it was mine.

Ant D

Thanks all. No where did I say I was selling or looking to sell, just wanted to know what I have.
This, along with my Meucci from same era are going no where, if i desire to get something newer / modern I will just buy one.
I will check out the link posted above garczar Thanks again !

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks all. No where did I say I was selling or looking to sell, just wanted to know what I have.
This, along with my Meucci from same era are going no where, if i desire to get something newer / modern I will just buy one.
I will check out the link posted above garczar Thanks again !

Usually when people ask about value of a cue it's to sell it.

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Garczar mentioned the Lucasi cues being made at the same Chinese factory as Helmstetters: those first Lucasi had 5/16×18 pins.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Garczar mentioned the Lucasi cues being made at the same Chinese factory as Helmstetters: those first Lucasi had 5/16×18 pins.
Not all. I had a early Lucasi steel-joint that took Joss or Schon shafts. Great cues for the money. Inlays were perfect and shaft stayed dead-straight for years til i sold it.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's a Level 4 / 97-9 The 3rd edition blue book back in 2005 say's it was worth $200.00 in 98% condition.
I would say min. $400.00 in mint cond.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a Level 4 / 97-9 The 3rd edition blue book back in 2005 say's it was worth $200.00 in 98% condition.
I would say $400.00 in mint cond.
Does the BB show the joint rings? The Japanese one my friend has has single joint rings. Chinese ones had double normally.

Ant D

Great stuff.......thanks everyone. Is there a link to this blue book i've seen referenced a few times ?

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great stuff.......thanks everyone. Is there a link to this blue book i've seen referenced a few times ?
I could not get it to work. I believe i paid about 40.00 back in 2005, now sells for 400.00

Last edited:

Ant D

I could not get it to work. I believe i paid about 40.00 back in 2005, now sells for 400.00

Agree not working....looked on Amazon the book is like 400, YIKES.
I'll take all your words for it.