Terry Ardeno said:
Does anybody know for sure how the players from Chinese Taipei (Taiwan)
and the Philippines get along with each other? The reason I'm asking is that it seems as if pool is so much more important in those two countries than it is here in America. And that being so, I would think there is even more at stake than "who wins". There seems to be a pretty intense rivalry building between these two great pool loving nations.
And related to this....Are the Taiwanese players as friendly with each other as the Filipino players are with each other? They are some of my all time favorite players (Fong Pang Chao) but they seem very business like at the table. And they don't seem to pal around together as much as some of the Filipinos do. For example, I've heard from a USA player who has competed in Taiwan that Hsai Hui Kai enjoys "sharking" some of his opponants. And that others are jealous of Chao & Wu. I don't often hear of the Filipinos being accused of these type infractions.
I have had the pleasure to meet some Taiwanese players in the past couple years. I shared my room with one of the players from Taiwan, Pei Wei Chang, during the playpool.com tournament in Vegas in 2006; and had the pleasure to spend some time with Po Cheng Kuo during the US Open 2006. I have also meet some Taiwanese players in the World Pool Championship, All Japan Championship, and the IPT.
I consider it a great honor to have the opportunity to spend time with such a group of professional elite players who are totally professional yet also very modest, and generous with their time and knowledge.
Listening to them discussing the game is one of the best pool experience I have ever had. It is very impressive how they would share their pool knowledge with their fellow pro players, and how they have so much respect for one another. They usually travel with a team coach, who is very knowledgable on the game, and show great leadership. They would watch each other's game, and discuss and try to help each other. I have noticed they always act professionally in public, and show very good sportsmanship.
In my opinion, the Taiwanese is one very professional team. I like the way they accept defect, whereas they hardly ever loss their manner in public no matter how bad they may feel; in victory, they usually try to be modest, rather than arrogant. They never refuse signature, and is always willing to answer questions.
I am sure those who have met Kuo in the US Open can attest to this.
Kuo was very kind in testing some cues for me and sharing with me his feedback the last few times we met. He even tried to show me how he stroked the ball, adjusted for deflection, and made his power draw and so on.
Kuo told me in Taiwan, it is common to ask each others question about the game, and they would help each other. For those of you who do not know Kuo, he was 2nd and 3rd two years in a row in the World Pool Championship. He also offered me lots of great input on the X Breaker.
I remember in Vegas, Pei Wei Chang and Pamela Treadway were both spending time in my booth, when Pei Wei Chang said to me,
"could you ask Pamela how she could break so well from both sides of the table, I am not doing too well breaking from the right hand side."
I was a bit surprised, since I did not expect to hear something so honest and humble from a World Champion caliber player.
But Chang was serious, as he really just wanted to know. In Taiwan, he told me it is common for one player to ask another about this kind of things, and they would help each other.
Kuo did the same thing asking Charlie Bryant how he could break so hard, Kuo said he has never seen anyone with such a powerful and consistent break before.
Both Pamela and Charlie were very kind and spent a lot of time explaining their break to these Taiwanese players, and I must say it was very nice to see players helping each other in such a professional manner. It was such a class act. I understand in the US, usually lessons are charged, not free. These two Taiwanese pros both appreciated the help very much.
If I understand correctly, pinoy players used to be much better than Taiwanese and usually ended up taking their money in money matches. But the Taiwanese have improved a lot, and they are now one of the strongest nation in terms of pool talents. I think the way they share their knowledge so generously, and ask question in such humble manners, really contribute to their improvements.
From what I have seen, and what I have heard, pinoy players play pool for money because that is their way of making a living.
For the Taiwanese, they play pool for money to practise their mental toughness. Of course, they would try to win, but most of them have a respectful view on themselves as a professional players, and they feel that their main "job" is to make a living off winning tournaments (hopefully a major title), and working in pool halls and such. In that sense, there is a big difference in how they go about matching up.
Like in the interview with Yang, he said he was not afraid of Orcullo during the WPC, he did not like to gamble the day before the tournament, that is why he turned him down. To Yang, he was there to play in a tournament as a professional player, and that was his priority. Unfortunately, his professionism was interpretted by some as a sign of cowardness.
I was told pinoy players do not like to gamble with each other when they are out of the country, that is a move to preserve themselves as a group, so they could maximize their income. This may give you the impression that they are very close friends. Staying together also help them if they ever get in trouble leaving with the cash and such after a match. Pinoys are great people, and great money players. They have a lot of hearts when they play for money, and they are not afriad of anyone.
The above is just my own humble opinion based on my limited experience. Hope this helps.
Thank you.
Richard