What should I do about my table?

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I bought a used GC II about 28 months ago. I have lived with its problems but now I'm getting sick ofi t.

1. As I metioned in another thread, the ballbox on my GC II was missing the metal trim piece and the wood had worn down so much that balls can spin out of the box and bounce on my concrete floor.

2. I ordered the trim piece. It arrived tonight and I put it on. When I took the ballbox off, I realized that it's got a layer of cork (?) in it. Is that normal?

IMAG0986.jpg

IMAG0987.jpg

As you can see, the cork has worn out substantially.

3. By adding the trim piece, there's now a gap between the wood and the metal and I here a "nice" (not nice) 'clank' every time a ball hits the box.

IMAG0988.jpg

So after worrying about how bouncing on concrete can wreck my balls, I get to be paranoid about how aluminum affects the balls. (I can't imagine it would hurt it too much.

3. I also saw that at one end of the box, the wood is splitting.

IMAG0989.jpg

4. Balls can also spin out the track when you pocket them in one of the side pockets. I assume this is because the pocket is missing a screw. When I put a new screw in, I discovered that this holds the pocket firmly in place and balls coming down the track get stuck right there.

5. In addition to this, the people who set up my table put the rail with the counters at one end of the table and the ball return at the other.

So.

I was thinking of converting to a drop-pocket table and I'm still leaning that way.

However, if I decide to keep the ball-return...

Does having the rail with the counters at the opposite end as the ball-return cause problems? Such as with poorly-fitting pockets? Is it possible for me to move the sides/ball return/holder stuff to the other end or is it a more advanced manuever?

Thanks for you suggestions.
-matthew

Attachments

• IMAG0990.jpg
    IMAG0990.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 424

Steve Dickey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.classicbilliards.net/html/AntiquePoolTablePartsProducts.cfm?img=bb_gc123.jpg&item=BB/GC/ALUM&price=$165.00&Shipping=$25&Desc=GC%201-2-3%20new%20reproduction%20ball%20return%20box%20(aluminum%20trim)

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Pour some wood glue down the crack- gravity fill with glue-and clamp it,wipe access off, let it dry and fill any cranks with more wood glue and repeat.
Remove the cork and install carpet in the ball box that's just a little thicker than the cork board but still have a tight carpet weave.

The balls falling out of the ball runs can be stopped by adjusting the run/track, the balls might hop out of the track every once and awhile but not all the time as you describe. If the balls are getting stuck it can be out of alignment or the long runners could be bent open so the balls rest in the middle where the runs are pulled/bent apart. ~> bend them back straight, you'll find the balls gets stuck in the low spots.

Enjoy'

Rob.M

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Ken hash sells replacement pieces for that.

http://www.classicbilliards.net/html/AntiquePoolTablePartsProducts.cfm?img=bb_gc123.jpg&item=BB/GC/ALUM&price=$165.00&Shipping=$25&Desc=GC%201-2-3%20new%20reproduction%20ball%20return%20box%20(aluminum%20trim)

Thanks. I bought the trim piece from Ken and have been eye-balling that ballbox as well.

Pour some wood glue down the crack- gravity fill with glue-and clamp it,wipe access off, let it dry and fill any cranks with more wood glue and repeat.
Remove the cork and install carpet in the ball box that's just a little thicker than the cork board but still have a tight carpet weave.

The balls falling out of the ball runs can be stopped by adjusting the run/track, the balls might hop out of the track every once and awhile but not all the time as you describe. If the balls are getting stuck it can be out of alignment or the long runners could be bent open so the balls rest in the middle where the runs are pulled/bent apart. ~> bend them back straight, you'll find the balls gets stuck in the low spots.

Enjoy'

Rob.M

Thanks. Instead of carpet in the ball box, what about that rubber sheeting you put under carpets to keep them from slipping?

The balls only hop out of the track every once in a while but it's onto a concrete slab floor so I don't want to use a nice set of balls.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could neoprene sheet (like some knee braces/fishing chest waders) material work to cushion the box? Or too bouncy and add to the problem of balls coming out of the box?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Gotta thank the guys who put the counters on the wrong end of the table, good job fellas!!:clapping:

My balls would fall out of the gully at the side pockets every once in awhile. I got tired of putting a towel on the floor to catch them. I even carefully adjusted the gully to prevent this. I think what happens is the ball falls in the pocket then the gully but kinda of rolls up over the edge and pops out through the gap between the gully and the bottom of the table. I made 2 pieces of .042 thick aluminum with a bend just shy of 90 degrees and screwed it to bottom of the frame to keep ball from rolling over edge of gully. They are only 4" tall and 6" long I think, I have not had a ball pop out since. They fasten to the table to essentially make a wall between the gully and the bottom of the table so the ball can not get out. I could make you a pair if you want, just cover the cost of shipping.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Gotta thank the guys who put the counters on the wrong end of the table, good job fellas!!:clapping:

I've been embarrassed to admit that I paid these "brunswick trained" people, but they used a 3 foot construction level to set up the table. When the bubble said it was level but the balls still rolled-off, they scratched their head and said, "well, I don't know what to do about that." Thanks, guys. :thumbup: The owner came out and he and I adjusted the table by rolling balls and adjusting the feet. (I have since had it checked by a "shade tree" table mechanic who does have better levels and it's all right.)

Whenever someone mentions wanting to get a table, I tell them to find someone else to set it up.

My balls would fall out of the gully at the side pockets every once in awhile. I got tired of putting a towel on the floor to catch them. I even carefully adjusted the gully to prevent this. I think what happens is the ball falls in the pocket then the gully but kinda of rolls up over the edge and pops out through the gap between the gully and the bottom of the table. I made 2 pieces of .042 thick aluminum with a bend just shy of 90 degrees and screwed it to bottom of the frame to keep ball from rolling over edge of gully. They are only 4" tall and 6" long I think, I have not had a ball pop out since. They fasten to the table to essentially make a wall between the gully and the bottom of the table so the ball can not get out. I could make you a pair if you want, just cover the cost of shipping.

That would be GREAT. You really don't want to see this table get converted to drop-pockets, do you? ;)

I will send you a PM with my address.

Thanks a lot!

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
That would be GREAT. You really don't want to see this table get converted to drop-pockets, do you? ;)

I will send you a PM with my address.

Thanks a lot![/QUOTE]

Not if I can help it, everyone should have the joy of a proper functioning ball return.:smile:

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Success!

I chiseled off the cork and sanded down the box. I put a few layers of this non-slip rubber padding in the box.

Not only do the balls stay in the box, it's much quieter.

The drawbacks are that the balls are not as easy to get out of the box and sometimes they hide in the back corners of the box. Oh well.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Success!

I chiseled off the cork and sanded down the box. I put a few layers of this non-slip rubber padding in the box.

Not only do the balls stay in the box, it's much quieter.

The drawbacks are that the balls are not as easy to get out of the box and sometimes they hide in the back corners of the box. Oh well.

-

Put a short tight nap carpet in the bottom of the box, take a one inch wide strip the width of the box in the back. <~ makes the balls come to the front, if the balls forward to fast just a thinner wedge strip in the back.

Rob.M