What should I expect to pay for a good Gold Crown

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I don’t know which one is blue or green but that bottom one looks really cool. Ten years again we put an addition on the house and I still didn’t get a poolroom. Wish I had a basement but I don’t think it’s worth living up north to get one.
Cloth color, top being green and current painted table with blue Simonis cloth.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cloth color, top being green and current painted table with blue Simonis cloth.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I figured. But I’m colorblind. Most people can tell the moment they meet me. Especially if my wife is mad at me.

sellingboe

I'm curious about the GC I in the pics above. I am looking at a GC I, but it has the creme color on the legs but a mustard color wrapping around the rails (is that called skirt?) I think it's 100% original everything. I am guessing someone painted the one above so it's all the same color, which I really like A LOT! Would love to duplicate it as I'm not a fan of the original two tone look. Any GC I experts out there who can shed some light? Thanks.

Attachments

• GCI_original.jpg
    GCI_original.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 81

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
64K Question: How does one determine if a GC III is "old" -- requiring recutting of rails to accomodate new rubber -- or "new" -- readily accepting today's superspeed rubber?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious about the GC I in the pics above. I am looking at a GC I, but it has the creme color on the legs but a mustard color wrapping around the rails (is that called skirt?) I think it's 100% original everything. I am guessing someone painted the one above so it's all the same color, which I really like A LOT! Would love to duplicate it as I'm not a fan of the original two tone look. Any GC I experts out there who can shed some light? Thanks.
The Gold Crown I's all had white pedestals, pedestal runners, ball trays and plastic skirts with either Blue, Gold, Tangerine or White Aprons.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Starting to look in ernest...prices and condition are all over the place - as expected. Can any one give me an idea of the range I should be paying for a used Gold Crown? I am currently looking at a GC 1, and a GC 4. One is sold by a local dealer and priced with new cloth and warranty, the other is local sale. Both in pretty good condition, I would have to arrange move for GC 1. Just trying to get an idea of what I should be paying. Thanks.
Where are you located? Personally, I would stay away from dealers. You don't know the story of the table and it could be a Franken-Crown: a Gold Crown put together with parts from different tables that may or may be correct parts for that table. If it were me, I'd do as much homework as possible and really educate yourself on these tables. There are many experts on here so ask a ton of questions. I'd scour Craigslist and Offer-Up for private parties selling tables. You'll know a well cared for table when you see it and there are deals to be had. My buddy and I scored a couple Gold Crown I's out of a bowling alley a year or two ago. They were cosmetically shot but had only been recovered a couple times in their life and you could tell they hadn't been played on much. They were asking $1K each and we scored them for $400 each. We each did cosmetic restorations on them and had a competent mechanic do the subrail work, tighten the pockets, install new rubber and setup. At the end of the day, I've got around $2K-$2,500 (most of that is in subrail work, cushions, new cloth and setup) in mine and I learned a ton about these tables. I don't know what level of table you want but if you have the tools and the skill set, buy one that needs a little work and have at it. I wanted as close to a brand new looking Gold Crown I as if it had just arrived from the factory and that's what I've got. Good luck! Keep us posted on your journey!

Here's a before and after shot of my table. I decided to paint my aprons Brunswick Blue.
49607163211_a509aaaa11_4k.jpg

49725546583_4caad40c64_4k.jpg

Here's a shot of my buddy's table and mine. He did his in Brunswick Tangerine.
49684152283_0c563cb339_5k.jpg

Last edited:

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
Not sure if all were like this, but my GC4 had an ink stamp on the foot slate, marked June 2000. So I can safely assume it's a 21 year old table. I feel sure the slate hasn't been changed out.

sellingboe

Where are you located? Personally, I would stay away from dealers. You don't know the story of the table and it could be a Franken-Crown: a Gold Crown put together with from different tables that may or may not have correct parts for that table. If it were me, I'd do as much homework as possible and really educate yourself on these tables. There are many experts on here so ask a ton of questions. I'd scour Craigslist and Offer-Up for private parties selling tables. You'll know a well cared for table when you see it and there are deals to be had. My buddy and I scored a couple Gold Crown I's out of a bowling alley a year or two ago. They were cosmetically shot but had only been recovered a couple times in their life and you could tell they hadn't been played on much. They were asking $1K each and we scored them for $400 each. We each did cosmetic restorations on them and had a competent mechanic do the subrail work, tighten the pockets, install new rubber and setup. At the end of the day, I've got around $2K-$2,500 (most of that is in subrail work, cushions, new cloth and setup) in mine and I learned a ton about these tables. I don't know what level of table you want but if you have the tools and the skill set, buy one that needs a little work and have at it. I wanted as close to a brand new looking Gold Crown I as if it had just arrived from the factory and that's what I've got. Good luck! Keep us posted on your journey!

Here's a before and after shot of my table. I decided to paint my aprons Brunswick Blue.

Very beautiful tables. So you said you painted it Brunswick Blue. Where did you get the paint color info? I like the blue better than the gold or tangerine, but I would possibly go with uniform color from the legs up in that standard off-white color. Now that I see your blue though, I do like it. With regard to subrail work, who did that for you? Did you tighten pockets to 4.5"? What were they originally, 5"?

ramw5p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So...whats it cost. I love the people who say 500 tops....good luck. I found a GC3 in good condition, stamped 4/97. 1400 for table, moved it myself, 900 for quality install with new 860hr. 200 for powder coating pockets, logo, ball return outline thingie and 4 legs. so all in at 2500ish and it looks great. Didn't get the right color on the powder coating - but that another story, not anyones fault: go with silver or black, the "copper" or whatever color that is is HARD to match.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very beautiful tables. So you said you painted it Brunswick Blue. Where did you get the paint color info? I like the blue better than the gold or tangerine, but I would possibly go with uniform color from the legs up in that standard off-white color. Now that I see your blue though, I do like it. With regard to subrail work, who did that for you? Did you tighten pockets to 4.5"? What were they originally, 5"?
Here are the color codes. They are Sherwin Williams codes and I used their Emerald Urethane Enamel which is their top of the line trim paint.

Gold Crown White/Brunswick White
49592364397_f724466a5a_h.jpg

Gold Crown Blue/Brunswick Blue
51313037327_c42382efee_b.jpg

Gold Crown Tangerine/Brunswick Tangerine
51314507204_65e3285bd0_b.jpg

Gold Crown Gold/Brunswick Gold
51313037322_ea754727a4_b.jpg

Here's another shot of the blue apron against the white skirt.
48880707546_03502c0f32_h.jpg

Where are you located? I'm in SoCal. Steve Leistikow did the rail work and setup the table. I'm not sure how big the pockets were before but they were buckets. Steve extended the subrails and cut the corners to 4.125" and the sides to 4.875". It's pretty tight.
49603456301_eb11f9090c_h.jpg

If you are interested, here's a thread I started that shows the steps in the restoration.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where are you located? Personally, I would stay away from dealers. You don't know the story of the table and it could be a Franken-Crown: a Gold Crown put together with from different tables that may or may not have correct parts for that table. If it were me, I'd do as much homework as possible and really educate yourself on these tables. There are many experts on here so ask a ton of questions. I'd scour Craigslist and Offer-Up for private parties selling tables. You'll know a well cared for table when you see it and there are deals to be had. My buddy and I scored a couple Gold Crown I's out of a bowling alley a year or two ago. They were cosmetically shot but had only been recovered a couple times in their life and you could tell they hadn't been played on much. They were asking $1K each and we scored them for $400 each. We each did cosmetic restorations on them and had a competent mechanic do the subrail work, tighten the pockets, install new rubber and setup. At the end of the day, I've got around $2K-$2,500 (most of that is in subrail work, cushions, new cloth and setup) in mine and I learned a ton about these tables. I don't know what level of table you want but if you have the tools and the skill set, buy one that needs a little work and have at it. I wanted as close to a brand new looking Gold Crown I as if it had just arrived from the factory and that's what I've got. Good luck! Keep us posted on your journey!

86 times. I am counting. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Geosnookery

In my Canadian city of 1.5 million, about a 30 or so new listings for billiard tables are in the local Kjiji ( like Craigs list) ads every week. The brand of the table be it Gold Crown or whatever doesn’t matter that much. They all end up selling for $200 to $500 despite a higher initial listing. Often the brand, even if high end, isn’t even in the ad…’pool table, like new,..hardly used. ..etc.’ I play a fun game of looking at photos and trying to guess the brand. If I text and ask it might be ‘I’ll check when I get home’.

Pool tables are like like Pianos. People just want them gone. And people who want one and have the room for one, likely already have a pool table..It’s not an item even keeners want two of or can usually be bothered replacing.

edit: I was curious so just checked for the last 24 hours. 8 new table listings…only one mentions the brand. A couple of the others are more like living room furniture descriptions. Two are ‘coin operated’ but no brand mentioned.

typical ad:

Attachments

• 7A21F4E5-EAD7-4010-B4F7-5BAF4630BA3A.jpeg
    7A21F4E5-EAD7-4010-B4F7-5BAF4630BA3A.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
The current Superspeed rubber shoots fine on a GC1. The difference in rail angle is very small. Mine shoots fine and banks dead true. Way too many people repeating information that isn't first hand.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The current Superspeed rubber shoots fine on a GC1. The difference in rail angle is very small. Mine shoots fine and banks dead true. Way too many people repeating information that isn't first hand.
It is possible to get the rail height correct if the installer is competent. If the installer is not competent and thinks it is a straight bolt on, the result can be very slow rails and possibly ball hop. The other issue with not adjusting the subrail is the table will not be a true 2:1 ratio. The playing surface of a 9' table is 100" x 50". Modern K55 cushions (SuperSpeed) are not the same size as the Monarch SuperSpeed cushions that came on the Gold Crown I and II, Anniversary, Centennial, Sport King, etc. As a result you lose 1/4" in length and width, causing the playing surface dimensions to shrink to 99.75" x 49.75". This will have an effect on muti-rail kicks/banks.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is possible to get the rail height correct if the installer is competent. If the installer is not competent and thinks it is a straight bolt on, the result can be very slow rails and possibly ball hop. The other issue with not adjusting the subrail is the table will not be a true 2:1 ratio. The playing surface of a 9' table is 100" x 50". Modern K55 cushions (SuperSpeed) are not the same size as the Monarch SuperSpeed cushions that came on the Gold Crown I and II, Anniversary, Centennial, Sport King, etc. As a result you lose 1/4" in length and width, causing the playing surface dimensions to shrink to 99.75" x 49.75". This will have an effect on muti-rail kicks/banks.
I was playing at a friends house a while back when were talking about tables and he said that his table wasn’t square. Sure enough I measured it and it wasn’t square. He has a GC1 and someone replaced the cushions without recalibrating it. I know every table plays differently so it’s just a matter of a slight adjustment

Worrying about 1/4" of playing area is pointless. No two tables kick and bank the same and all change with the weather. I have played on a lot of tables and maybe 2 ever shot and banked perfectly. I have no complaints at all with my GC1. I played on a GC 5 this week that played very nice but it was basically the same speed and bank angles as my table.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've got an old GCI that's taking up space in my garage. I need to move it out of there. First $1,000 gets the table. It's actually a pretty clean table overall; rails, slate, aprons, pocket castings all clean. Comes with accessories and a nice table light. I'm in L.A.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Worrying about 1/4" of playing area is pointless. No two tables kick and bank the same and all change with the weather. I have played on a lot of tables and maybe 2 ever shot and banked perfectly. I have no complaints at all with my GC1. I played on a GC 5 this week that played very nice but it was basically the same speed and bank angles as my table.
Like I said, it can be done without adjusting the subrails but I wouldn't trust the job to just anyone.

I was playing at a friends house a while back when were talking about tables and he said that his table wasn’t square. Sure enough I measured it and it wasn’t square. He has a GC1 and someone replaced the cushions without recalibrating it. I know every table plays differently so it’s just a matter of a slight adjustment
Alabama8Ball: Case in point ^^^.