What table and pocket size is straight pool played on?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt it. The pockets in this video are total buckets. What was the high run here?
LOL! I was there. It was a 14.1 workshop with Schmidt. He ran 100 all the while telling us what he was thinking as he was navigating the racks. It was pretty impressive. I knew the table well that was used for the workshop, having played on it extensively.

TrxR

LOL! I was there. It was a 14.1 workshop with Schmidt. He ran 100 all the while telling us what he was thinking as he was navigating the racks. It was pretty impressive. I knew the table well that was used for the workshop, having played on it extensively.
4.5" on that table, or tighter?

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would play on what you want to play on
billiards.png

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4.5” CP on a 10’ table and 4 3/8” on a 9’ table…….4.25” CP on the 7’ league tables.
5” pockets should be disallowed unless you played on a 12’ table with pool pockets.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 9 foot with 4 1/4 " pockets so I doubt many if any could break 100...

How about a 7 ft with 4 1/2 " pockets?

I mean every straight pool score should be accompanied with table and pocket size.
How many accounts do you have? Its like Bizzaro Jerry, or Bizzaro Danny.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I mean every straight pool score should be accompanied with table and pocket size.
It’s all about the magnet's in the pockets & in the balls. This is NOT common knowledge, there’s a secret society of 14.1 champions who are privy to this most classified information……🧲
No longer. Gauss specs henceforth...

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A 7x14 with 3 and 1/3 size pockets. This is common knowledge.

Mosconi set the record on kids table this is also common knowledge.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The game of 14.1 completely changes for most of us mortal 14.1 lovers on 4-1/2” or tighter corner pockets. I think 4-3/4” is ideal for those of us whose lifetime 14.1 high run is well under 100, and no tighter than 4-1/2” or 4-3/8” corners even for pro level 14.1 tournament play.

On tight pockets, break shots become harder, calling a ball in the rack on a combo / carom becomes extremely difficult and risky, which removes one of the more unique and enjoyable aspects of 14.1 play. Cheating a pocket for position or when an obstructing ball gives you less than a full pocket to work with also becomes more limited and riskier the tighter the pockets get.

In playing 14.1 on tight pockets, the defensive / safety game is easier to execute as it becomes harder to attempt long, tough shots. The up side to the tight pockets is that it allows some players to play more aggressively, simply because long runs for either player are so rare that giving up the table to your opponent even with a good shot is not as likely to keep you in your chair as long as it otherwise would if playing on forgiving pockets.

Last edited:
The pockets in the video are on a Diamond in the tournament room at Q-Master in Virginia Beach. Those tables have 4.5 inch pockets. I played on those tables last Saturday. I don't know what the high run was that year, but this year the high run was 216 (125 extended) by Filler.

Most pool players do not consider 4.5 buckets, although Matchroom is moving to smaller pockets especially for elite events.
Here is what I think:

• Straight pool just isn't fun on anything less than 4 1/2"
  • 9 ball and 10 ball perfect for 4 1/4"
  • 8 ball always on the 7" with 4 1/2"
  • Banks pool and one pocket...buckets I guess since its where all the old guys go to retire. I played one pocket once, broke and got all the balls in I needed to apparently and haven't played again.
P.S get rid of alternating breaks.