What table and pocket size is straight pool played on?

I have a 9 foot with 4 1/4 " pockets so I doubt many if any could break 100...

How about a 7 ft with 4 1/2 " pockets?

I mean every straight pool score should be accompanied with table and pocket size.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member

I mean every straight pool score should be accompanied with table and pocket size.
There is no answer. My opinion, which means basically nothing mind you, is that you will enjoy the game on a 9 foot table with 4.75" pockets or larger. What makes the game both difficult and fun at the same time is not shotmaking. You will need to make some difficult shots in 14.1, but it's not the focus of the game IMO.

The game is infinitely fun (to me) when you get to focus on good patterns, good speed control, good tempo, and creativity.

For pro players, today's ultra straight shooters in particular, you can tighten the pockets and still see 100 ball runs. For the rest of us mortals, we should try to enjoy the core aspects of the game IMO.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

damnit, i knew i was doing something wrong, playing on 8ft pockets
room temp 72 degrees, 40% humidity with the doors closed, 45 when they swing open several hundred times a day. and the morning humidity is usually higher than the evening so. thats why i miss
also the balls are for sure 5 percent undersized from usage. one table closer to the ac runs a bit faster than one down the line some
i think i get more deflection when i dont use hair spray and go with gel only to

Zerksies

Mosconi's record was set on a 4 × 8 foot table with 5 1/4 inch corner pockets.

I would play on what you want to play on

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw John Schmidt casually run 100 on a Gold Crown I with 4" pockets.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
The world record had 6" pockets with siliconed rails, but it appeared to be a 9' table

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The world record had 6" pockets with siliconed rails, but it appeared to be a 9' table
That is not true. I touched the table on Sunday and there are no side rails and there is a shop vac under it with hoses up to the underside edges.

The side rails were photoshopped for YouTube and all pictorial representations.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
That is not true. I touched the table on Sunday and there are no side rails and there is a shop vac under it with hoses up to the underside edges.

The side rails were photoshopped for YouTube and all pictorial representations.

That explains how balls hit diamond 2.75 and still went in

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Really some people just want to play Pool, what ever game they wish too on available equipment.

Recall many years ago kids stood in line to play Pool at Buys Club
Of America.

Tables wobbled, and shook. Ball sets were chipped. Cue were not straight. Everything was what people today would call junk.

None of this mattered to the Boys waiting turn, Pool was fun to play. Boys Club has two tables. There was always line to play, because it was about fun.

Not the equipment, fun was the important factor.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So far as I know, the high run on a 9-foot with 4.25 inch pockets is 285 set by Joshua Filler in January, 2019, in Elizabeth, Indiana. Were you not aware of that run?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If you aspire to pro level, 4 1/2" is for you. The American 14.1 Championship was contested on 4 1/2" pockets and it was a very fair test for the elite.

For amateurs, 4 3/4", 4 7/8" or even 5" is just fine.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
So far as I know, the high run on a 9-foot with 4.25 inch pockets is 285 set by Joshua Filler in January, 2019, in Elizabeth, Indiana. Were you not aware of that run?
hes saying hes so great that if he cant, which he cant, then no one could

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I mean every straight pool score should be accompanied with table and pocket size.
A problem with just size is it's not the only thing that matters for a pocket. A 5-inch pocket might reject balls that a 4-inch pocket would accept, depending on the details of the pocket.

I saw a table from a new manufacturer that had corner pockets less than 4.5 inches. They played very easy because there were no facings or they were very soft rubber and the faces of the corner pockets were nearly parallel. The manufacturer didn't know what they were doing.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I doubt it. The pockets in this video are total buckets. What was the high run here?
The pockets in the video are on a Diamond in the tournament room at Q-Master in Virginia Beach. Those tables have 4.5 inch pockets. I played on those tables last Saturday. I don't know what the high run was that year, but this year the high run was 216 (125 extended) by Filler.

Most pool players do not consider 4.5 buckets, although Matchroom is moving to smaller pockets especially for elite events.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mosconi's record was set on a 4 × 8 foot table with 5 1/4 inch corner pockets.

I would play on what you want to play on
That is the common myth. But various accounts, including Jay Helfert, suggest that these are incorrect.

East High Billiards
Springfield, OH
Oversized 8’ Brunswick SportsKing
~4 5/8th” corner pockets.

Last edited:

Zerksies

That is the common myth, by various accounts, including Jay Helfert, suggest that these are incorrect.

East High Billiards
Springfield, OH
Oversized 8’ Brunswick SportsKing
~4 5/8th” corner pockets.
🤷‍♂️ Several sources say 5"