What the F is going on here?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
What we need is some way to increase prize money, TV coverage and respect for pool without having to change anything we do, how much we spend, how we think or acknowledge there are issues.

I know just(num) the person for the job.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
What we need is some way to increase prize money, TV coverage and respect for pool without having to change anything we do, how much we spend, how we think or acknowledge there are issues.

I know just(num) the person for the job.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

What Pool needs in one group to oversee all of Pool.

Not 7, or 8 working against each other.

Works well with NASCAR, NCAA, NFL, PGA, etc.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh believe me, yes they do. I have a buddy with a mullet who plays and lives in Arkansas and it's basically something to occupy your time while you BBQ and drink beer with friends. He even has a side business making customized boards.

That's the draw, something with a simple concept that you can get ultra competitive with. It's fully portable and doesn't require heavy horseshoes or driving a steak into the ground and setting up a proper pit. You just pull the boards from the bed of your truck or trunk of your car, measure off the distance and get down to work. That's the thing with cornhole is it's simplicity will allow anyone to play without fear of not understanding the rules.

Cornhole isn't the draw, but it's a nice way to meet new people. (Oh that sounds bad lol)

Remember carnival games? The toss the bag in the clown's mouth still exists, you never see the gaffy pool table setup anymore like you used to. Imagine working at a carnival and trying to set up a pool table at each stop. Yikes.
I'm in Missouri and cornhole is popular around here also. When I was a kid living in Iowa the towns each had a horseshoe team that traveled and played on Saturday nights in lighted arenas. Now that is all gone with the passing of time. That game takes a lot more skill than cornhole.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you happen to know much about waterproofing a sheet metal roof? I have an old barn building with one, but it drips from half the roofing screws in there. When I get time I plan to replace the screws, but I'm not convinced the old timbers will allow a waterproof seal...

as long as they're screws and not nails, you're golden. nails on flat crest are the worst. there was a weird in-between period when square corrugated sheet metal became popular but roofers still used nails on the crest (cordless screwdrivers didn't exist or were not common). i tried to fix an old barn roof like that once.. not fun.

Reactions: Pin

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why did bar pool become so popular and "real" pool (9' tables) did not? Because bar pool is easier.
Of course bar pool is easier. Bar owners want your money as fast as they can get it. Small tables and garbage cans for pockets make for fast games of pool that anyone can play. LOTS of quarters going in those tables every day is what bar owners want not guys playing seemingly endless games of one pocket.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The reason corn hole is marketable is it as simple as it gets. In or out. The problem with pool is it’s too complex for the simple minds that watch it and don’t play. Not marketable. Is this a new topic here?

middleofnowhere

Registered
Easy to see why pool is in a rut from the posts in this thread. It is easier to make fun of something that is successful then try to learn from it. Pool players and pool in general have long been little more charity cases waiting for a handout.

Maybe they would be better off getting off their lazy asses and make something happen themselves. So, make fun of Cornhole if you like, they have a ESPN deal.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Of course bar pool is easier. Bar owners want your money as fast as they can get it. Small tables and garbage cans for pockets make for fast games of pool that anyone can play. LOTS of quarters going in those tables every day is what bar owners want not guys playing seemingly endless games of one pocket.
So you're now attacking the bar owner for providing a venue, in many areas the only venue, to play pool? Not to mention that there's some pretty high quality 7 and 8 foot bar tables out there.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Poll/Survey. Would you trade your pool table for a CornHole set up. Would you get a Diamond or Brunswick CornHole. Would you get custom or production toss bags.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
repeating a few points here but:

1) Cornhole is simple. Anyone can play it
2) Cornhole is quick and easy to set up
3) Cornhole is quick and easy to play
4) Cornhole is fairly portable. It can go to all social gatherings
5) Cornhole can be played outside, during BBQs, or on the beach, etc
6) Cornhole is inexpensive

My neighbors across the street spent half their 4th playing it on their front yard with beers in hand. Any outdoor social gathering I go to has some cornhole set up.

Cornhole is not a good comparison with pool. Pool is expensive: you need a pool table. Pool cannot be played outside. It is not portable. It is not quick and easy to play or set up. Pool is much more complex.

I think pool is a much better game/sport than cornhole. I play cornhole maybe once a year, and mostly just because I get myself in position where I feel socially obligated, whereas I own my own pool table on which I play almost daily. That all said, I can 100% understand why cornhole has become popular (all the reasons listed). Anything people can do casually and easily and socially while drunk has a real chance to be popular.

The real comparison isn't cornhole and pool. It's cornhole and...I dunno, horsehoes, as previously mentioned? And the difference is that horseshoes is your great-grandfather's game, while cornhole is new? Guessing, of course, but only time will tell if it has staying power or if it's just more of a fad.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Custom cornhole boards. Guy does not make them anymore.

He had just moved to the area, was a homebuilder and made cornhole boards as a hobby when he had time. These are built like a tank and pretty heavy. They are apart here, but they fit perfectly together and have a latch. Corners are reinforced with metal on the outside for when you bump into things moving them. Legs have independent adjustment with a level built-into the horizontal cross bar. There is storage for the bags built in underneath. I don't recall seeing anything close to this when I was looking for a set of boards.

2021 Cornhole Boards.jpg

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ESPN airs what they can sell to sponsors and to the general public. That isn't pool, sorry. Companies have sunk money into pool sponsorship and ESPN has tried to make it viable. These people are in the business of making money, that's not pool, sorry.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ESPN airs what they can sell to sponsors and to the general public. That isn't pool, sorry. Companies have sunk money into pool sponsorship and ESPN has tried to make it viable. These people are in the business of making money, that's not pool, sorry.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Johnsonville Sausage...why am I suddenly wanting Sausage for dinner.....hmm

chenjy9

I imagine for casual viewers, watching people play pool is worse than watching chess or paint dry. At least in the women's league you have beautiful women playing. Most of the men aren't particularly good looking for audiences that are interested in that sort of thing to become fans. The reason that players like Efren Reyes become so popular is because they can wow the audience with gutsy plays that showcase crazy spin or banks/kicks. There is also the whole easy of entry; pool is not really a cheap thing to get into and pretty difficult to become good at.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I imagine for casual viewers, watching people play pool is worse than watching chess or paint dry. At least in the women's league you have beautiful women playing. Most of the men aren't particularly good looking for audiences that are interested in that sort of thing to become fans. The reason that players like Efren Reyes become so popular is because they can wow the audience with gutsy plays that showcase crazy spin or banks/kicks. There is also the whole easy of entry; pool is not really a cheap thing to get into and pretty difficult to become good at.
It isn't chaep. I used to have people come in and ask the price and walk out. If they were used to paying by the game on a coin table they thought it the price was outrages. Four players playing partners on a coin table may play 4 or 5 games an hour. They even spend a lot of time sitting around socializing. They don't want to pay for that. Thats why I put in a few coin tables. They were busy all the time.