What tip is on my McDermott ?

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm running the risk of being thought of as a possible knucklehead by some of you, but that's alright. My screen name is a cartoon character. I'll estimate I've played pool for 10,000 hours of my life, but it's all been in my basement. I never read much about pool until I discovered these forums. I just bought a McDermott GS series maple shaft cue with a standard tip. This is the first time I've owned a cue that cost more than $50. I know nothing about tips. I just used whatever came on top my $50 JC Penny models. I love the feel of the McDermott, but I'm having trouble miscueing. When you've played pool for 10,000 hours and you miscue it's really embarrassing, even though I'm alone most of the time. I hardly ever miscued with my J.CPenny cues. It's a $200 cue, so even if it's a standard tip it has to be of better quality than the J.C Penny tips. Any suggestions?

mfarrey71

CueNut71
Silver Member
McDermott GS series cues when new have Triangle tips on them. Do you own tip scuffer or a tip pick? If you still have a lot of tip left try scuffing it up. If you don't have a scuffer you can use rough sandpaper or even a file. But make sure you keep the same radius(roundness) to the tip. You need to get so it will hold the chalk. If there is not much tip left then you need a new tip.

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McDermott GS series cues when new have Triangle tips on them. Do you own tip scuffer or a tip pick? If you still have a lot of tip left try scuffing it up. If you don't have a scuffer you can use rough sandpaper or even a file. But make sure you keep the same radius(roundness) to the tip. You need to get so it will hold the chalk. If there is not much tip left then you need a new tip.
Sand paper! Why didn't I think of that? I used it. it's really helped. Thanks.