What tips and chalk is everyone using?

Ed13

Just received a new snooker cue from Green Baize out of UK. Purchased a house brand 3/4 ash cue with a titanium ferrule, 9.5mm tip and 60" long. Have not had a chance to use yet. Not able to try in person, did not want to spend too much (250 pounds) since I may upgrade later.

Have always chalked tip after every shot during pre shot routine. Purchased Taom chalk for the cleanliness. Do not want to clean tables more than I have too. Many other things I would prefer to do with my time. I never cared about what chalk I used in the past as they were not my table and they all seemed to work fine as long as you chalked your tip properly.

Stayed with an ash snooker cue as that is what I am used too. Titanium ferrule should last longer, keep my tip from losing diameter, easier to keep clean and possibly less deflection.

I have a brown Kamui medium as well as a black. Will try them and maybe a few others to see what I prefer. Both are readily available where I live.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not really .... it is not worth $30.... crazy lol

Seriously. I use V10 have had it for like 3 months and I have not even made a visible dent. And it is a demonstrably better chalk, especially for kicks. Even Dr Dave has stated this. So say it only lasts 3 more months, is $5 a month for chalk that unbearable. And you can get it for like $20

ArizonaBill

Registered
If you want a perfect snooker cue, I'd say your best bet is Mike Wooldridge. Offers full maple shafts and a BlackSpin ferrule. My dream cue would have to be one of his Black Legend cues.

Was your Powerglide half-jointed or a 3/4?
I tried a friend's snooker cue, that was made by Mike Wooldridge. It sucked. I've used one piece, rack cues that pocketed more balls. He then got a BlackSpin ferrule put on, but it still sucked just as bad. He's trying to sell it, but he won't let anyone take a shot with it, because he knows they'll probably miss. I bought one of Wooldrige's Super Tips, and it wasn't playing well, so I tried to shape it a bit with sand paper, but it still sucked, and after only a couple more attempts to reshape, it almost completely disappeared. I haven't heard of any top pros using his cues, or his tips. Most top pros in snooker use John Parris cues, and a few, like Mark Selby, use a Stamford cue, that he also recommended to Ding Junhui. I have tried a Parris and it was very good. As for tips, I don't like the layered ones for snooker, because the glue lines seem to make me miscue more. I like the medium Mori's for the bigger, heavier, pool balls though. O'Sullivan still plays with a regular Elk Master, as do I, but I also liked Pro Granite's, and Buffalo Diamond Plus. I haven't tried any new tips in the last 5 years, but I'd like to try ADR's, and Century 3's, Taom chalk, and a Century titanium ferrule, although pro's like Jimmy White say it takes a while to learn side spin with it, so some pro's probably will just stick to brass ferrules that they are used to.

Last edited:

Greg M

I tried a friend's snooker cue, that was made by Mike Wooldridge. It sucked. I've used one piece, rack cues that pocketed more balls. He then got a BlackSpin ferrule put on, but it still sucked just as bad. He's trying to sell it, but he won't let anyone take a shot with it, because he knows they'll probably miss. I bought one of Wooldrige's Super Tips, and it wasn't playing well, so I tried to shape it a bit with sand paper, but it still sucked, and after only a couple more attempts to reshape, it almost completely disappeared. I haven't heard of any top pros using his cues, or his tips. Most top pros in snooker use John Parris cues, and a few, like Mark Selby, use a Stamford cue, that he also recommended to Ding Junhui. I have tried a Parris and it was very good. As for tips, I don't like the layered ones for snooker, because the glue lines seem to make me miscue more. I like the medium Mori's for the bigger, heavier, pool balls though. O'Sullivan still plays with a regular Elk Master, as do I, but I also liked Pro Granite's, and Buffalo Diamond Plus. I haven't tried any new tips in the last 5 years, but I'd like to try ADR's, and Century 3's, Taom chalk, and a Century titanium ferrule, although pro's like Jimmy White say it takes a while to learn side spin with it, so some pro's probably will just stick to brass ferrules that they are used to.
I have three SuperTips on the way. I couldn't get on with my super soft ADR147 with the Taom I was using, so I've left the tip on my secondary playing cue and moved onto a Century G3 for my upcoming main cue. Once I've tried the G3, I'll move onto the SuperTips. I've heard his older editions of the SuperTips had problems, and the newer ones seem to be more consistent.

I have a Jason Owen specced for English pool on the way in a few weeks, so I'm looking forward to trying it out.