What to do when we have a bad day

Leigh

Registered
What I didn’t say in the last post is that there are some (not most) men that hate losing to women. So they feel this pressure that I just don’t have when the game starts. When I played APA as player that goes back and forth from a four or five in eight ball, I knew one seven and one six that didn’t like losing- much less to women. The upper hand in these was automatically mine. That combined with me being able to mostly be in the moment (not always easy)… it was their kryptonite. To be fair, their attitude used to offend me… but if that’s who they are … so be it. It’s not about me.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
What I didn’t say in the last post is that there are some (not most) men that hate losing to women. So they feel this pressure that I just don’t have when the game starts. When I played APA as player that goes back and forth from a four or five in eight ball, I knew one seven and one six that didn’t like losing- much less to women. The upper hand in these was automatically mine. That combined with me being able to mostly be in the moment (not always easy)… it was their kryptonite. To be fair, their attitude used to offend me… but if that’s who they are … so be it. It’s not about me.

As a man who raised two daughters, I hate to hear boys say things like, "You hit that like a girl" or "You threw that like a girl" or "You play like a girl", or whatever.

My daughters were taught the truth - skills are not developed based on gender. I love it when a grown woman or a little girl out-performs a man or a boy in something that they aren't "supposed" to be good at. Male chauvinism is falling more and more out of style, and that's a good thing in my opinion.

Leigh

Registered
As a man who raised two daughters, I hate to hear boys say things like, "You hit that like a girl" or "You threw that like a girl" or "You play like a girl", or whatever.

My daughters were taught the truth - skills are not developed based on gender. I love it when a grown woman or a little girl out-performs a man or a boy in something that they aren't "supposed" to be good at. Male chauvinism is falling more and more out of style, and that's a good thing in my opinion.
I have zero issues with men being naturally better at many athletic endeavors. They are taller, stronger, have more muscle mass, etc. And vice-versa: women tend to be more flexible and have their own strengths (like typically being better at long-range target shooting). I don't fight biology. It's the assumption that women suck in general (and therefore you should NEVER lose to a woman) that gets to me. Glad you are raising two women to not be limited by other people's assumptions! :)

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One time I was practicing my 9 ball break in Houston and a guy came over to my table and said, "Wow, you don't break like a girl." So I said to him, "Can you break harder than me?" And he replied, "Probably not." So I said, "Then it's YOU who doesn't break like a girl." He walked away scratching his head.

I have a hundred more stories that are similar. It's the way it is with some people. If they were good players, then I made sure I took something from them, like information. They can think whatever they want as long as they show me that shot they made that I never saw before. And that type are almost always willing to show off. Use them. They deserve it.

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
For most ppl, the process of myelination of a new motor skill takes about 2 weeks (with focused practice of course).
Do you think that (or does science know whether) that process can be meaningfully helped by a special effort to eat enough appropriate fats during the 2 week window, or is it a longer-term nutritional requirement?

WobblyStroke

Do you think that (or does science know whether) that process can be meaningfully helped by a special effort to eat enough appropriate fats during the 2 week window, or is it a longer-term nutritional requirement?
A balanced diet provides plenty. Most of us also have a bunch of fat stored away to redistribute anyway. The only time nutrition really plays a key factor in nervous system development is in infancy... this is why in several countries it is explicitly made clear that vegan diets for babies are illegal. Legal or not where you are, it should be avoided. Developing babies absolutely NEED fats. Adults learning a new motor skill don't need any special dietary considerations as far as I know.

Overall the process of myelination in regards to learning new motor skills is still being mapped out. What we know for sure, is that if cells responsible for myelination are 'turned off' (in lab rats not humans lol), the subjects cannot master new motor skills. So we know this process is vital to learning and we know how long it typically lasts but the details are still being tested by researchers.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
First, I want to say thanks to all good instructions here, especially FranCrimi, CJ Wiley, Bob Jewett, RandyG and many others for yours great contribution for posting here. I learn to play pool just reading your comments here, and now I am solid B player. The reason why I am posting now is because I don’t know how to improve my game anymore, and I have one big problem. On a good day I miss 1-2 balls in race to 7 (ofc I miss position and then play safe), also I have 1-2 break and run, etc. But, on a bad day I have trouble to pocket 4 easy open balls (miss easy ball, miss easy position).

My question is what to do when that day came? Sometimes when I play very bad, I start to question everything (did my stance was off, did I grip to tight, maybe I rush a shot, maybe I didn’t focus, maybe I took my eyes off the object ball, etc.). Ofc after that I play much worse than before, and playing pool is no more fun. Because of that I play very inconsistent in tournament, also. In last couple of months, I start again to change something in my fundamentals (more focus where to aim on cue ball, double checking aim line, etc. but I don’t see that I improve anything).

I read here that FranCrimi once said that she goes in F.ck it mod when she was losing 8:1. I tried that in last week, after first good set, I played second set poorly but now I was very relax, and after that I played solid all day. So, is that the answer, ignore everything and just continue to play? The more I play, the fewer bad days will be? To forget about fundamentals, and to focus more on pocketing problematics balls, positions?
Give always 100% from what you got- you cannot give more :) If you feel like having just 80% of your strength/focus or whatever....give 100% of these 80%. :)

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Playing well requires a combination of orchestrated elements. I made a venn diagram to show the major elements needed for optimum performance.

The perfect balance puts you in the zone and playing your best... "On Fire". Too much focus or not enough focus on one element or another, or being too weak in one or more element will have you playing anywhere from horrible to average.

View attachment 684062
Looks a bit too similar to the stuff from Bassham :)