What Tournament that no longer exists do you miss???????

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
I miss the original Hard Times tournaments of the late 80's and early 90's. Everyone was there and the place was packed 24/7. Great fields with memorable final matches. I wish we had taped them.

The first Bicycle Club Invitationals were also premier pool events, with super strong fields and standing room only crowds.

And yes, I am proud of my two big L.A. Opens. I think we were the first to create two separate arenas with four tables in each. We got crowds of over 1,500 people on the weekend as well. And were featured on all the local TV stations and major newspapers. You can thank Don Maggot (Ernie first called him that) and friends for bringing an abrupt end to that event.

He convinced the players to boycott the second year and that was it for me. Almost all of them stayed away, and Mark Tadd grabbed 26K, much to the regret of players like Varner, Rempe, Earl, Sigel, Johnny, CJ and Buddy who missed out on some serious cash. Those who played and scored big like Billy Incardona, Roger Griffiths and Steve Cook didn't seem to mind though.
We miss your expo Jay.
I remember Efren winning the last 8-ball invitational.
We all headed to Noel's ( Alex's good friend who lived nearby )home after . It was midnite. Busta and LeBron were there too.

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
Forest Park Billiards. Dayton, Ohio. Mid to late '70's.

First time I saw Luther Lassiter, Minnesota Fats, Buddy Hall, Jimmy Reid, Jim Rempe, the Fuscos, Cornbread, Mike Massey, Mike Carella, Omaha Fats, Ray Martin, Joey Spaeth.

jungledude

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Racketeers in the 90s

:D Perhaps the best bar table tournaments ever were held in New Orleans where a $10 entry could get you a shot at thousands as their calcuttas were over $30,000 every month with 128 players. Not a bad return on your money.