What type of tenon?

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to clarify, it Actually IS made from lexan (Brand Name), or to be precise polycarbonate.... which is almost unbreakable, which is why it is considered bulletproof and is used as such. It does scratch easier than acrylic. From the web: Lexan is but one of a family of thermoplastics whose main claim to fame is in its ability to undergo significant deformation without cracking of breaking.
Dave
As that video shows, that piece got fucked up. So if those bulletproof tips behave the same way, trash. I’ll just use a tip that doesn’t have those deformation properties. Something more stable that doesn’t blow apart. Also, what’s with that dudes hammer swings. Is he intentionally trying to not hit it?

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
As that video shows, that piece got fucked up. So if those bulletproof tips behave the same way, trash. I’ll just use a tip that doesn’t have those deformation properties. Something more stable that doesn’t blow apart. Also, what’s with that dudes hammer swings. Is he intentionally trying to not hit it?

The Bulletproof tip is not rigid and plasticy like that piece was. It isn't going to shatter. "Hard" to describe now that I am trying to. They are solid, but with just enough give to not be like the rock phenolic is. I haven't used the full ferrule tip combo, but I have installed and used the regular tip. I like how it breaks.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just wanted to clarify that Bullet Proof break tips are not made of Lexan. Lexan is hard and brittle, Bullet Proofs are not.
Gary
I probably shouldn't use the word Lexan. As mentioned above I should I use the word polycarbonate.

A lot of speculation so far on how brittle they are, or how tough they are. But I but I've seen no proof anywhere that anybody has actually damaged one. I'll be the guinea pig for you guys and give it a try. I already have it ordered.

Mike Rys

Blind Owl
You are more likely to pop the tip off before breaking the tip. Polycarbonate tips need a very stable base. If you install one on a softer ferrule you're likely to have problems. I install them on capped Ivorine 4.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220628-170759_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220628-170759_Gallery.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 82

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I probably shouldn't use the word Lexan. As mentioned above I should I use the word polycarbonate.

A lot of speculation so far on how brittle they are, or how tough they are. But I but I've seen no proof anywhere that anybody has actually damaged one. I'll be the guinea pig for you guys and give it a try. I already have it ordered.
I've done a few. No problems yet.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave,
I'm going to stay with my original statement. If you tap a BulletProof tip on a hard surface, it makes a softer sound that a piece of Lexan or polycarbonate.. Even in the video you provided, that piece of Lexan makes a clatter as it is hit and then bounces off the shelf when it lands. I was mistaken when I said "Lexan is brittle".
The BulletProofTips.com website used to say they are made of a thermo-elastic polymer, now it says they are made of "A scientifically engineered hyper-reactive polymer". They may have changed the description to slow down the copycats, I don't know.
In any case, carry on.
Gary

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
To add to the confusion, I had a discussion recently on another site with a well-respected cuemaker Dave B***** who complained that they mushroom. He said he was at a tournament and had cut off 5-6 at the owners' request because they mushroomed. The BulletProofs I have installed have not and I've checked back with several customers and no mushrooming on their cues either. So, I don't know if people are calling all clear tips "BulletProof" or what.
Gary

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Dave,
I'm going to stay with my original statement. If you tap a BulletProof tip on a hard surface, it makes a softer sound that a piece of Lexan or polycarbonate.. Even in the video you provided, that piece of Lexan makes a clatter as it is hit and then bounces off the shelf when it lands. I was mistaken when I said "Lexan is brittle".
The BulletProofTips.com website used to say they are made of a thermo-elastic polymer, now it says they are made of "A scientifically engineered hyper-reactive polymer". They may have changed the description to slow down the copycats, I don't know.
In any case, carry on.
Gary
Gary, First, the reason for the name bulletproof tips was BECAUSE they were using polycarbonate.......as it is the only clear 'plastic' that was actually bullet proof. Have you cut a tip size piece off of a piece of polycarbonate and tapped it the same way as a bulletproof tip? Apples need to be compared to apples, not an apple to an apple tree. All the video was showing was that it is NOT brittle, nor Hard...it bends. Try the same with acrylic......Cannot compare a 10" x 1" piece to a .512 round tip, .380 tall, take a measurement of dia. and height of a tip, then hammer the crap out of it and then do the same measurements...bet they change ALOT.. the long piece in the video bounced around because it was not attached to anything while getting slammed. Polycarbonate IS a softer material, thats why it stops bullets, it is malleable, which as it deforms, the friction and the softer material will wrap around the projectile and therefore it entraps the projectile. The Bulletproof tips are exactly the same material. I just cut one off a few days ago at the request of the customer, and replaced with a White Diamond as is was deforming on the edges and had bulges near the side of the tip, after he had miscued a few times. He breaks in the 25-28 mph range on average and was talked it to trying it.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have installed a few of these bulletproof break tips for league players around me. I just put on on a BK Rush this morning. They all really like them and they are spreading like wildfire (monkey see monkey do). I will be honest I put one of them (as practice) on my house break stick before I did any paying customers and I tend to like it. I kept it on and been using it for a couple months now, not a single issue with mushrooming or cracking/chipping. they hold chalk much better than a phenolic tip.

The only thing I don't like about them is they tend to get stringy and wrap around when you are cutting them down and have to stop a few times to manually weed it out.

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve installed a couple of those Bulletproof one piece ferrule/tip combos and ended up facing one of them off and putting an Odega on it. The guy miscued and the side of the tip deformed and fractured. I’ve also made my own out of a rod of polycarbonate and can’t see any difference. I’m not a big fan but will put whatever a customer wants. I will however try to talk them out of these types of tips because they will fracture on a miscue.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve installed a couple of those Bulletproof one piece ferrule/tip combos and ended up facing one of them off and putting an Odega on it. The guy miscued and the side of the tip deformed and fractured. I’ve also made my own out of a rod of polycarbonate and can’t see any difference. I’m not a big fan but will put whatever a customer wants. I will however try to talk them out of these types of tips because they will fracture on a miscue.
Miscues are the kryptonite for all tips, whether it's leather or synthetic.

kgoods

Consistently Inconsistent
Most hard layered tips won’t deform and chip though. That material holds chalk well and has good speed but I’m not a fan.
Agreed... pictures are worth a thousand words.

Right after installation...
tip2.jpg

2 years and approx 1,500 breaks and 10-15 miscues later, a few deformations. On the plus side, I haven't had to reshape at all and have only ran some 200 grit across it a couple times to aid holding chalk. My breaks are only 18-22 mph though ;)

No chips for me but a I could imagine monster breaker could maybe get some chips on the edge. Also this is a Mako, I imagine it's the same material as it machines like every polycarbonate I've ever dealt with and machines exactly like a Bulletproof in my experience. Been meaning to change it out for a while but if it's not broke....

Still hits real well as long as I'm not more than a half tip off center ball.

twoyearslater.jpg

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed... pictures are worth a thousand words.

Right after installation...
View attachment 649380

2 years and approx 1,500 breaks and 10-15 miscues later, a few deformations. On the plus side, I haven't had to reshape at all and have only ran some 200 grit across it a couple times to aid holding chalk. My breaks are only 18-22 mph though ;)

No chips for me but a I could imagine monster breaker could maybe get some chips on the edge. Also this is a Mako, I imagine it's the same material as it machines like every polycarbonate I've ever dealt with and machines exactly like a Bulletproof in my experience. Been meaning to change it out for a while but if it's not broke....

Still hits real well as long as I'm not more than a half tip off center ball.

View attachment 649382

Could you wipe the tip off and show a ‘front’ view instead of a side view.