What would you do here..?

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Just wondering your opinion of the correct pattern.

BTW - the 4 does pass the 9 in the upper corner, but barely.

Kev

what-would-you-do1.JPG

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
Its kind of hard to tell the angle from the picture, but if the two is a reasonable shot I think I might like playing the 2, 7, 13, 4 then 9. I like the 9 or 4 as the key ball since you are coming straight up the line for the 3 ball. I usually dont like having the next to last and key ball up table, but the 13 leads you into these balls nicely.

If the 2 appears to be too hard to control, Id probably go 4,9,13, 2 7.

I would imagine someone will find a better pattern than me though.

Woody

sausage

Banned
i'd probably take the 4, 9, 13, 2 and leave that 7 (ball on foot-rail) for the key. the 9 would make a good key but it might be difficult to get to.

on edit: woody: from the pic it looks like there is too much angle to get on the 7 from the 2 or i'd agree with you.

another possibility would be 4, 2, 7, 13, 9...

Last edited:

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Not the best cuetable layout there Kev, :) the cuetable program would have shown things much better.

Anyway, if I'm reading Kevin right the 4 barely passes. If you slow roll it in, you may end up with an angle on the 9 that you are going to loose the CB on the next shot. If you spin it in you may loose the 9 ball right away.

The only route I saw that required all flat angles was the one I suggested, and realistically if we made every shot with the perfect speed the 3 would be the best break ball, but I suspect we don't, and using the 7 instead allows for all high percentage shots with all flat angles.

Anyway, that was my reasoning.

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Thanks for all your thoughts everyone.

3stop, your pattern is what I would play as well. Shooting the 2 first to get to the 7 would leave you having to go underneath the 3 and get very good position on the 7 as well, if you get bad you are shooting the 3 uptable next. The 4 IMO is not an option as it just barely passes the 9 and could easily be missed or hit the 9. The slight angle on the 3 in this position leaves a stun over to the rail for the 13, an easy 6 to 8" forward on the 13 leaves good for the 4, then 9, and easy to the 2 ball to set up on the 7. I would leave it high and come off the back rail for the break.

Yeah, not a steady hand in the ms paint drawing...lol...sorry. My computer won't allow the cuetable program to run for whatever reason, it actually shuts it down as a virus detection or something, then have to reboot, so I avoid cuetable all the time.

Kev

sausage

Banned
Just wondering your opinion of the correct pattern.

BTW - the 4 does pass the 9 in the upper corner, but barely.

Kev

View attachment 172705

ok, i've given this some more thought and clearly the answer to; "what would you do here" is.. : have a scantily clad vixen waft tender treats before your opponent's eyes and quickly rearrange the balls.