What's the best advice you've ever gotten...

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
There is no money in pool, enjoy it as the fun game it is. Also no matter how old you are, you can still play pool.

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never play a shot just to get rid of it, every shot is important, even if position is automatic.

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Best advice for shooting pool

...for any part of the game (shot making, shape play, mental aspects, gambling...), and any source (books, DVDs, other players, forums...)?

The best advice I have ever gotten for shooting pool is "stay down on the shot and follow through it!", you will miss a lot less and your playing shape will get much better.

David Harcrow

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
The pool room is a great place to learn alot of free lessons in not only pool but in life in general. Most of the ones I would have said have already been mentioned, esp keep your head down and follow through. Ill offer a few more I learned from being in the pool room

"dont say jack shiat!"
said to me while watching a $ match where an argument broke out over a bad hit. Another railbird spoke up giving his opinion on what the call should be. The action broke up, a fistfight nearly broke out and lots of folks there ended up disliking the railbird for placing himself in the middle of other people's business. The railbird was eventually threatened by someone who had a money interest in the game and stopped coming to the pool room for a long time.

" U have to make them like it"
advice given to me by a gambler who was trying to get me matched up with someone. I was being immature and barking at the player and the gambler told me that it was easier to get someone to agree to do something by instead negotiating in terms of why the game was a good game instead of how I was going to beat them. This advice filtered down from being a stupid 15 yr old to negotiating with prosecutors doing a 4 year stint as a public defender.

"Preshot routines will help you to not dog it under pressure so much."
Getting into dead stroke has alot of rhythm and timing and if you establish a strong preshot routine, it becomes harder for you to dog it because you shot too quick, labored too long etc.