when was the last time you saw pool on TV?

XmarathonX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ESPN 3 using my Roku 3 box. It aired the Bonus Ball finals & the WPBA Masters two months ago.

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last time I saw pool on TV was when I watched it on the Telly using youtube........Sad, but true.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool on TV is dead.
You tube for recorded matches and live stream for live though I still miss the awesome image quality and professional commentating on live TV. And youtube does not have a big database of pool matches :(
Wish there is a website that stores and keeps database of all pool matches for past few decades. Would not mind paying subscription for such a service

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I watched the Derby City Classic last week in Manila! They showed an entire Race to Eleven Ten Ball match with nothing edited out!

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
I don't recall the details of the last match I watched on ESPN. But do know it was the women's tour (pre-recorded).

Also remember, more distinctly, the best pool I have seen on ESPN. It was the Resorts International Last Call for 9-Ball in the mid 80s. 1st place for that tourney, in the mid 80s, was 40K. Do any of them pay that now?

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for the North Americans on here........ I'm thinking pre-recorded ESPN women's mid 2000's

I miss the old ESPN PBT broadcasts, they were cheesy but great

Canada used to get recorded snooker as late as the 80's

thank God for youtube

To be honest, pool on TV has been so poorly done in the past who really cares. Pool is on and belongs on the net. I just saw a story that for the first time in like three decades the number of cable TV subscribers are dropping. Pool can be more properly produced on the net including live streaming.

I can also be done like a C-Span where you are a fly on the wall and get to se everything going on as if you are there. TV was never like that. All you usually got was chopped up edited matches showing what they thought was important. I saw a match on TV once that I had been at.

There was a point where there was a series of safety play that was brilliant. They cut out the whole thing. On the net we don't have time problems or bumping up against another show. Forget TV and support on line pool with every dollar you can afford. It is not only the future of pool but the future period.

smenzel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On TV (literally) was probably ten or twelve years ago. I had a job that included cable in my office with all of the various ESPN channels. Brought in a DVR and recorded all of the pool I could for later viewing. I don't get any of the ESPN channels so I can't watch pool on TV at home.

I just watched some streaming yesterday.