When you're opponent pulls a number on you!

argonath

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
powerful move, if you can get away with it!

One time in a money game, I actually had the OPPOSITE happen.

I was playing a guy race to 3 for $20. He won the first two games, then I came back with some REALLY good shots... like a jump from back to front on the 8-ball the first game, then a two-rail kick that left me with a 2 ball out.

After what I believed was my second win there, he unscrewed his cue, shook my hand, and handed me $20. Since we had both been drinking, Im pretty sure the score was 2-2, but he was headed back to the bar before I could finish going over was it 2-2, or did I win 3-2?

Anyway, he thought he had lost 3-2, and was content with it.

steev

Lazy User
Silver Member
The answer is simple really. The guys that resort to all kinds of silly games are almost always losers. Gambling all their cheating did was slow down how fast the cash moved across the table, it didn't usually change the end result. You can shear a sheep many times, you can only butcher it once!

Hu

That is a nice perspective on gambling. I'll have to keep that in my head when situations arise.

Now, in tournaments, it's another matter.

-s

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I have been put into sticky situations sometimes when my opponents pulled a number on me. These 2 situations happened to me very recently.

I was playing a young friend who is a good player, and we were playing a race to 4 in 8 ball. I won the first 3 games, and in the 4th game, my opponent won, and he said "nice match". I said "what do you mean nice match, that's the first game you won." He said, "No, it was hill-to-hill, and I won".

I was dumbfounded, so I went to the TD, and told her the situation, and it was at this time, I noticed my opponent was more than just a little drunk.
The TD told one of the owners the situation, and they disappeared for a lttle bit, and then returned and talked to both of us. They said they had reviewed the tape (I hadn't even noticed they had cameras on the tables), and that I was correct, it was game count 3-1 in my favor.

My opponent accepted this, and even forfeited the rest of the match to me. On an afternote, I saw him a week later, and talked to him (we had been friends for some time), and he said he couldn't hardly remember what had happened and that he was blitzed that night. We laughed about it and it ended on a good note, but it just goes to show you some people can be a lot drunker than they might first appear to be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second incident rubs me the wrong way, and sticks in my crawl. I was playing an opponent that has been an adversary for a few years. We had somewhat of a history, since shortly after we first met, we played in another friend's basement, with me giving him the 7 ball, and I won 2 bags of sand from him, and he airballed me for the last 600 of it. That left things in a touchy situation for a few years, but I justed marked it off.

He has gotten quite a bit better in the last few years, but not as good as he thinks he is, and he keeps dogging me to play for something. Meanwhile, I don't gamble much any more, and when I play in tournaments, I do not like to play money games before or during a tournament. Anyway, we go back and forth, and the match is hill-to-hill in a race to 4 8 ball, with me breaking the last game. I hadn't been breaking well that night, and so I concentrated on getting a good break the last game. I was using the 2nd ball break that night, and I hit the balls good that game, making 3 balls with a wide open table that I was pretty sure I could get out.

Suddenly, he comes running up to the table, and says I racked the 8 ball in the 2nd row, and not the 3rd. I was dumbfounded once again because I have been playing 50 years, and have NEVER racked the 8 ball in the 2nd row. We argued for a minute, and then I just agreed to rerack and break again. I broke again with lessor results than the 1st break, and he made a mistake on trying a safety late in the game, and I got out for the win.
I must admit, I felt like justice had prevailed in this situation because I felt he had tried to pull one on me.

Do things like this ever happen to you? I know things happen in bars all the time because they are ignorant of Pool etiquette, but rarely do they happen in a Pool room where these happened to me.

I had a situation last Monday night at league. It was a race to 4, I won the first game and then ran the table twice to win the next two to put me on the hill 3-0. So whats this guy do, he racks the head ball a good half inch in front of the rest of the rack of balls. I looked at it and said " You gotta be kidding me". He said " What? what the hells wrong with that?" I said " Nothing at all, leave it alone" I broke hitting the 2nd ball exploding the rack and making the 8 on the break, match over, justice served!!! I love it when it works out that way.

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a situation last Monday night at league. It was a race to 4, I won the first game and then ran the table twice to win the next two to put me on the hill 3-0. So whats this guy do, he racks the head ball a good half inch in front of the rest of the rack of balls. I looked at it and said " You gotta be kidding me". He said " What? what the hells wrong with that?" I said " Nothing at all, leave it alone" I broke hitting the 2nd ball exploding the rack and making the 8 on the break, match over, justice served!!! I love it when it works out that way.

Too Funny!:thumbup:

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My opponent Monday night, who I consider a really good guy, did something that bugged me but because I like him, just kept it to myself.
After a missed shot by me he proceeds to tell me I went about the rack the wrong way, asking why I did what I did. Then, after he misses and I am coming back to the table, he is still telling how he would have done it differently and he just doesn't understand why I played it that way.
I admit, it threw me off for a few but thankfully I was able to regain composure and not let it affect the outcome.
I don't know I would classify it as a move but it definitely worked in getting me out of my rythym for a game or two.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
My opponent Monday night, who I consider a really good guy, did something that bugged me but because I like him, just kept it to myself.
After a missed shot by me he proceeds to tell me I went about the rack the wrong way, asking why I did what I did. Then, after he misses and I am coming back to the table, he is still telling how he would have done it differently and he just doesn't understand why I played it that way.
I admit, it threw me off for a few but thankfully I was able to regain composure and not let it affect the outcome.
I don't know I would classify it as a move but it definitely worked in getting me out of my rythym for a game or two.

Sometimes its not so much a move as it just a total lack of intelligence. I try to just politely smile and ask them once again what did I do wrong after I won the game.:rolleyes:

Sad thing is he probably wouldn't get it and proceed to tell you where YOU screwed up!

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
but it just goes to show you some people can be a lot drunker than they might first appear to be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If u have to play your drunk friend again, here is the solution for the problem. Write the score on a piece of paper. After each game, both the players have to initial. This should work out well. At the end, if your drunk friend argues saying that it was not his initial, don`t say anything except say ' Good Night'. Once he gets into the car to go home, call the police and inform them about a drunk driver on the road. :D :thumbup::D

Last edited:

Drew

Got a little dog in you?
Silver Member
We had a kid that was coming into our local room for quite some time and I had played him many many many times and seen and heard of other people playing him and he was always good for the money so most people got to the point of playing him without posting up first. Well one day we start playing at around noonish and go until the hall closed with several people watching us all night. So when the place finally closes im up 900 on him and he says...I dont have the money" I honestly wasnt suprised I didnt think a kid like him carried that much money on them so I told him he could pay me as he got it as long as it was within reason or else I would just take his custom cue (he paid 600 for) as either collateral or just call the debt square and he says he will get me the money out of savings on friday so I said ok. So then I tell him that if he pays for all the table time I would take that off the debt, I should have known right then something bad was going to happen because he didnt even have enough money for his half of the table time so I had to pay it all anyway. Well friday comes and no word from him and nobody has seen him so sunday I for some reason decided to go to a tournament I NEVER went to and suprise suprise guess whos there. So he said he wanted a chance to get his money back at 100 a game and I told him if he got to 1200 i was quitting and taking his cue and he agreed well he won the first game and I won the next 2 putting me up a grand and he quits me and begs me to let him keep his cue and he would pay me next week so I agreed. Well Wed leagues come around and I start getting asked how I lost so much money, I was obviously dumbfounded and asked wtf they were talking about and they said they heard I lost a bunch of money but didnt know who said it. So I see the guy that saturday and this crazy son of a ***** was telling everybody he beat me for 900 and I stiffed him and he starts barking about it in the bar where 3 of the people that watched me beat him were there and told him he was full of it. He even went as far as making an obviously totally and completely obvious fake check with no name on it, no routing number, account number, or date, also didnt even have a real signature, just scribbles and saying that i had given him a check for 900 and put a stop payment on it. The funny thing was it wasnt even a check he was trying to show everybody, it was on a piece of paper that had no outer lines like you would see on a photo copied check and he was trying to put it off like it was my check to him. Bad part is most people actually kinda believed him for awhile because why would someone go through so much trouble for that? Then he started stiffing guys left and right for big numbers several people (including my dad) for 500, one stupid guy actually let him do it twice for 800 a pop, and myself and a few others for at least a grand. The owner finally told him it was time he quit coming around.

For the benefit of a fellow Coloradoan, what's this kid's name? You can PM me if you want.