Where are all the FILIPINA pool players??

macneilb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been wondering this for awhile now - why does it seem that all the top ladies coming out of asia are from chinese taipei...taiwan...korea, and mainland china, but none that I know of (I could be wrong) from the country that seems to put out the best, and most, male players in the world? For a country that treats it's top pool players as national heroes, and treats pool like a true sport, I don't see why there wouldn't be more females from PI dominating right now. I understand pool in the PI is very male dominated, and pool halls are practically male only, but it IS the same way in China and Taiwan (I have family in Manila and China/Taiwan who play) and the Chinese/Taiwanese seem to put out a much higher number of pro players. Just curious...:cool:
 
Iris Ranola is now playing on the WPBA Tour. And Eleanor Callado (a filipina who lives in Sacramento) just beat Jasmin at the San Diego event. The Rakin sisters live up there too. When they play, they're a threat to beat anyone.

In the PI, Rubelin Amit is the top player. She can play with anyone on the WPBA tour. She would be top ten for sure. Her problem is the same one many filipino men face. Tough to get a US visa. You need to have family over here who will sponsor you.

Watch what happens when they have the women's World Ten Ball in Manila in June. You're going to see some top name players get knocked off by "unknowns".
 
Last edited:
Rubilen Amit, Mary Ann Basas, and Iris Ranola are well-reknowned players. Just to name a few.
 
Back
Top