Which ball was hit first?

Was the 3 ball hit first or the 5? Or too close to call?

• Too close to call

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • 3-Ball first

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • 5-Ball first

Votes: 18 34.6%

• Total voters

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Close situtation whilst playing a friend came up so we decided to video the shot.

What do you think?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If the setup had been symmetrical it would have clearly been the 3 ball first, since the cue ball drifted up a little. Unfortunately, the setup was not symmetrical, with the 3 slightly closer (or that's how it looks to me). I think that is going to make the cue ball go up for a simultaneous hit and maybe even for one where the 5 is struck very slightly before the 3 ball.

I believe the action indicates the cue ball was touching both balls simultaneously, which is rare since the ball-ball contact time is only about 0.1 milliseconds. (That's roughly a tenth of the tip-ball contact time.)

Bottom line: too close to call.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AT YOUTUBE'S RESOLUTION
The camera angle wasn't squared off but the balls did move simultaneously. Appears like the rock picked up some right spin so I'll say 5 first.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMG_0832.jpeg
This was the last frame before contact. The next frame was both balls moving. I agree with Bob. The 3 is slightly forward. So it could hit that first and then stun through the 5 slightly (heading slightly upwards).

Or it could hit the 5 first and carom off the three sending it upwards.

Too close to call. But my gut says hitting the 5 first might lead to a more aggressive upward path. Hitting the 3 first should lead to a more lax upward path. The movement was lax. If I had to bet my life on it, I’d say the 3. If I had to judge from this analysis, I’d call it simultaneous to favor the shooter. But watching it live I probably be tempted to say the 5 was hit first.

Last edited:

zencues.com

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in frame by frame on YouTube it appears to me to very slightly hit the 5 ball first.
This causes the 3 ball to move due to the five ball and 3 ball being frozen to each other.
Then the cue ball / 3 ball contact causes the cue ball to move slightly towards the five ball
making it appear as the initial contact was with the 3 ball.

IMO :) But as Bob said: too close to call (in real time). Call goes to the shooter.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like the ball was already spinning but it did move slightly toward the 5 side of the shot so probably 3 first. Unless it was the spin...

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
AT YOUTUBE'S RESOLUTION
The camera angle wasn't squared off but the balls did move simultaneously. Appears like the rock picked up some right spin so I'll say 5 first.
The shot was played with a bit of right hand spin in an attempt to ever so slightly massé the cueball around the 10.

Last edited:

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
in frame by frame on YouTube it appears to me to very slightly hit the 5 ball first.
This causes the 3 ball to move due to the five ball and 3 ball being frozen to each other.
Then the cue ball / 3 ball contact causes the cue ball to move slightly towards the five ball
making it appear as the initial contact was with the 3 ball.

IMO :) But as Bob said: too close to call (in real time). Call goes to the shooter.

If the 5 was hit first that alone would not cause the 3 to move since the 5 was moving away from the 3, not towards it.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
If the setup had been symmetrical it would have clearly been the 3 ball first, since the cue ball drifted up a little. Unfortunately, the setup was not symmetrical, with the 3 slightly closer (or that's how it looks to me). I think that is going to make the cue ball go up for a simultaneous hit and maybe even for one where the 5 is struck very slightly before the 3 ball.

I believe the action indicates the cue ball was touching both balls simultaneously, which is rare since the ball-ball contact time is only about 0.1 milliseconds. (That's roughly a tenth of the tip-ball contact time.)

Bottom line: too close to call.

Thank you Bob,

I do think they were very close to being symmetrical but indeed if anything the 3 was slightly closer to the cueball then the 5.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
in frame by frame you can see the 3 ball move before the cue ball hits it.

No that is not what's happening IMO. In the frame you are likely talking about you can see slight movement of the 3 ball *and* the 5 ball but this is after the cueball has contacted both balls allready.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Need a better camera. :LOL: Too close to call, imo.
4SU2Ng6.png
The CB looks noticeably closer to the 5. If the CB’s direction of travel is more or less straight to the right it must have hit the 5 first. Then it would carom off the 3 last, sending the CB upward.

EDIT: After viewing the contact frame-by-frame I now know that this pic is from just after contact, not just before - so it doesn't necessarily mean the 5 was hit first.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
If it had hit the 3 first.....would it have picked up opposite rotation and followed a more tangent path off the 5?....in this case it appears to have hit the 5 first...picked up some slight left hand rotation and then hitting the 3 it killed it forward off the 3 tangent path

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it had hit the 3 first.....would it have picked up opposite rotation and followed a more tangent path off the 5?....in this case it appears to have hit the 5 first...picked up some slight left hand rotation and then hitting the 3 it killed it forward off the 3 tangent path
If you watch in real time, it's shot with right. The shooter said he spun it to clear the 10.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The CB looks noticeably closer to the 5. If the CB’s direction of travel is more or less straight to the right it must have hit the 5 first. Then it would carom off the 3 last, sending the CB upward.

pj
chgo

Simply by the action of the cue ball, I would agree, the five was hit first.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
If you watch in real time, it's shot with right. The shooter said he spun it to clear the 10.
He may have spun it ....(but he did say just a bit and ever so slightly)....I watched the frame by frame just before the "WHOOO!".......using the dots.....the ball looked (to me) to be in full roll just before contact.