Which Gold Crown Is The Best?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I already have a Gold Crown IV. Bought it brand new from Orner Billiards in Indianapolis for Christmas of 2002. Was delivered/setup in early January of 2003.

I was hoping to get some SPECIFIC answers as to which table posters, players, etc, think is the BEST Gold Crown. So far alot of responses about tables but not alot of posts indicating which one they consider the best.

r/DCP
If set-up correctly they all play great. Most mechanics i've talked to say the 3 is the least desirable. That being said i'd love to have one of the super-shiny piano finish GC3's like the tv table at the older US Opens. Killer lookin' table. Have you asked this in the 'Table Mechanic' section? Probably get the best info on this subject there.

Island Drive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I already have a Gold Crown IV. Bought it brand new from Orner Billiards in Indianapolis for Christmas of 2002. Was delivered/setup in early January of 2003.

I was hoping to get some SPECIFIC answers as to which table posters, players, etc, think is the BEST Gold Crown. So far alot of responses about tables but not alot of posts indicating which one they consider the best.

r/DCP
I mentioned the GCII's in my earlier post, and this is why.

My main reason is the butcher block wood/Poplar? that they glued together to make the aprons & I expose this beauty, here's how. I've had many GC's corn blasted/stripped of their original colors....this exposed the beauty of the under wood and it's structure/legs. On the aprons they are made from 5 too 7 too 9 layers of kiln dried wood, glued together. Like my hm table also. Once you do this, all it takes is a light sanding, then you can choose your stain to gain the stain/look/definition you want for your room and the table wood. Next, I put two coats of clear, 3 if it's going into a pool room. When your done, the butcher block wood looks great, and different colors because each piece of wood has it's own slightly different tone. Once you get to the GCIII's and up, the aprons have waaaay less butcher blocking wood stacked/pieced together. "It's allot of work'' time and money. It's most likely why the later ones don't have the aprons so labor intensive.

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I couldn’t distinguish a 1 from a 2, but I can spot the other models. Played a lot on 1-2, 3 models in pool halls. Never had a chance to play a 4, I own a 5, and tried the 6 floor sample at my local dealer.

From a player perspective I’d take any of them, but the flush pocket trim on the 4-6’s is vastly superior, and features like counters, builder plates and (especially ashtrays) on the rails are ok but ultimately get in the way.

I thought my dream GC was the 4 with the gloss black/nickel trim, but the gloss finish shows dirt and fingerprints too easily. I like the mahogany matte finish on my 5.