Which players have you tried to "emulate"?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like SVB's short follow through because he doesn't drop his elbow. He keeps the stroke dead straight.

That doesn't mean I can emulate...just wish I could.
There are so many good players and good strokes out there - take your pick. I love to think about the stroke tempo and pause at the back of players like Buddy Hall, Nels Feijen and Chris Melling when I’m starting the cue back.

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few different players, but mostly, since I first discovered pool on TV, it's been Efren. I even copied his whipsawing practice stroke routine for awhile. Always steal from the best.

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
Early on, I watched a lot of ESPN and changed my bridge from closed to open after watching Karen Corr.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Early on, I watched a lot of ESPN and changed my bridge from closed to open after watching Karen Corr.
You don't use both depending on the shot/comfort/muscle memory/subconcious?

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
You don't use both depending on the shot/comfort/muscle memory/subconcious?
I used almost exclusively closed bridge before watching Karen Corr. Now I use almost exclusively open. If I'm in a strange bridging situation, I might use closed, but otherwise I use open. For example, I played a friend bar box 8-ball for about 5 hours on Saturday and only remember using a closed bridge once.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I used almost exclusively closed bridge before watching Karen Corr. Now I use almost exclusively open. If I'm in a strange bridging situation, I might use closed, but otherwise I use open. For example, I played a friend bar box 8-ball for about 5 hours on Saturday and only remember using a closed bridge once.
Interesting. My hand subconsciously does what I guess I feel Im supposed to do. More touch shots seem to be open bridge... more power shots seem to be closed.

ElKabong

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When in a rut I tend to go side-armed like Keith! aka Keither with the Either aka Earthquake!
I should probably just stay with it instead of messing with fundamentals all the time, actually feels more natural.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn’t call it emulation. But watching Cisero Murphy really drove home the importance of separating the backstroke from the shot. Occasionally, I need to remind myself of that.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
one player I’ve learned NOT to emulate is Bustamante. Great guy and player, but after an hour of watching him and his bicycle stroke, I can’t make a shot!

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I now tape all my fingers , wear butt weights , back brace, halo, and a 85 pound Alice pack when I play. My next move is drywaller stilts, should have no trouble reaching any shot with those!
Don't hate me because I hear a different beat!

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
earl the pearl was the one i watched most of when i started. in fact, to many euros of my generation, though some would hesitate to admit it now, earl was a big inspiration. i still consider him the best 9-ball player ever. bad sportsmanship doesn't negate earlier achievements, especially not when the guy was an inspiration for a lot of people to pick up the game

when eurosport came along ronnie o'sullivan became the favoured cueist, for obvious reasons. if i were to pick a contemporary pool player, it would probably be melling, feijen or ruslan. feijen has such excellent fundamentals and cue ball travel that it more than makes up for being half blind. boring (sometimes) but effective.

something i find hard to watch is side strokers or away-from-body strokers like mccready and ortmann. mike davis and ismael paez are tough to watch too. my snooker autism sets in there

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy without a doubt. Fortunate to see him play quite a bit in person. His tempo and methodical, Einstein-like run outs were just awesome to watch. Also a good 'ol down-to-earth nice guy.