Which would you choose, cue companion or proper B

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I may have the chance to buy a cue companion or model B. Which would you choose and why? Thanks.

Porper. I hate spell check.
 

cuesdefuentes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i would go with the porper. it is more robust and you can build a complete cue with it. if space or portability is an issue then the cue companion would probably be the better choice.
 

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
I love my Porper B....... It is more like a metal lathe... I used a Mid Size Cuesmith for several years and it was ok.... Never used the Cue Companion though..... So I can't comment on it...
 

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just found out it is not a Model B. I guess it is an A? Just says Q Lathe and only has the one speed knob? I guess the difference is automatic feedstock? Thanks for info so far.
 

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Gold Member
Silver Member
Probably not the same lathes but Cue Companion/Unique makes a good product for tips, ferrules, shaft cleaning
 

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back to the Model A.
You can do a lot with it. Sand, wraps. Tips, drill and tap for a joint screw. You can do ferrules but it is more difficult without a feed. But capable. You cannot cut wrap channels or build.
Model B
You can do anything you want if you are capable of working thru it's few set backs. The biggest kink that is questionable is, finding replacement parts whether it's on the web thru other sources or thru Meullers if they decide to offer the support needed.
 

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am more into buying and selling cues than I have a desire to make them but I would like to clean up shaft, etc. and would like to make joint protectors.
 

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am more into buying and selling cues than I have a desire to make them but I would like to clean up shaft, etc. and would like to make joint protectors.

Lmao. And this is why. :D
Way back when, I was very happy just repairing cues. Then Leonard Bludworth got my ear and said.
Boy, with your knowledge of repairing cues. Why the hell ain't you building them.
So I'm still a 90 percent repair shop and the other 10 percent is the mad money I use to have from repairing cues buying wood. Etc etc etc. I still laugh.
 

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you're buying new, the Grizzly Gunsmithing lathe is fantastic at that price point, only a few dollars more than a Cuesmith or Porper
 

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue lathe

You don't need a Cuemaking lathe. The simplest repair lathe will accomplish what you want.

Mario
 

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all of your replies. There ended up being 4 lathes available, and I took home a Deluxe Cuesmith Lathe. Will be having fun for awhile. Hope I enjoy it as much as I think I will.
 
Top