Who is best to do a cue joint replacement.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I have a cue with a solid stainless steel piloted joint that I would like to have replaced with a phenolic or plastic type material in order to get the weight down on my cue.

The replacement can be a complete replacement or else turn down the stainless to a thin wall and then sleeve over the phenolic or plastic replacement material.

Who is the best cuemaker or cue repair man to do this job?

Thanks

JC

Coos Cues
I have a cue with a solid stainless steel piloted joint that I would like to have replaced with a phenolic or plastic type material in order to get the weight down on my cue.

The replacement can be a complete replacement or else turn down the stainless to a thin wall and then sleeve over the phenolic or plastic replacement material.

Who is the best cuemaker or cue repair man to do this job?

Thanks

I assume there is no weight bolt in the butt?

That's where I would be looking to lose some weight.

JC

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Kevin
On top of what Mr. Chaplin asked, I would start with the original Cue maker. These kind of jobs can be interesting, but they can also be tricky. I've seen a couple that the joint was attached to the ring work behind the joint.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Hi Kevin
On top of what Mr. Chaplin asked, I would start with the original Cue maker. These kind of jobs can be interesting, but they can also be tricky. I've seen a couple that the joint was attached to the ring work behind the joint.

The original cue maker doesn't seem to want to be bothered with it and this is why I am in search of someone who can and wants to do it. I am just not a fan of the solid stainless steel piloted joints. Seems most new(er) cuemakers also don't use that joint configuration as much these days.

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks

Kevin

TC Mabe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a very difficult job. I did a job like that on a cue and it took forever to get everything just right again. You have the initial trouble with getting the old steel collar off and then you have to put a new pin back in the cue. And that has to be dead nuts centered and then whatever work you did has to be cut to diameter, sanded, finished, sealed, buffed etc.
From a liability standpoint the risk versus payback is way upside down. You’d almost be better off selling the cue and buying something you like better.

If anyone offers to do it ... make sure you get some references from other customers of theirs if possible.

Cue repair guys be careful too ... it only takes one bad deal to hurt your credibility ....
I lost mine on a job that I thought would be a simple project ... in retrospect I should have been honest with myself and turned it down.

Good luck !

Pictures would help too ... might give someone an idea of what they would be up against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk