Who Made these Cues?

Cane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuemakers... come to the rescue of the cue dummy! I picked up an older cue, not ancient, not collectable, I don't think, but just curious who manufactured them. This is an old Willie Mosconi cue... has the decal signature of the forearm. Nice hitting cue, decent grained shaft, non figured forearm, no wrap, 4 point, house cue looking ride, has ladder rings, white and black at the joint, Brass joint, brass sleeve in the shaft, 5/16X14 pin, SS sleeve over brass joint on Butt. White plastic butt sleeve. Cue has a weight bolt in it. Didn't take it out to see thread pitch on it, but Phillips head screw type bolt. Pretty damn nice hitting little cue, but I just don't have any idea who made them. Figured you guys would... if I could get a decent FTP client to put on my puter, I'd post pictures, but really, I don't think the cue is worth wasting that kind of bandwidth on, I'm just curious WHO MADE THEM?

Thanks,
Bob

You can upload pics here, don't need a host site for your pic.

And gonna be hard to get a good answer without a pic.....but maybe you'll get lucky.

Cane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pooltablemech said:
You can upload pics here, don't need a host site for your pic.

And gonna be hard to get a good answer without a pic.....but maybe you'll get lucky.

Didn't realize that! Well, battery charging for the digital now, so I'll post pics of this and the titlest??? in question on the other thread I started, in a couple of hours.

Thanks,
Bob (thinks he needs to stick to just having the cuemakers make what he wants, and stay out of the "old cue" business!)

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looking forward to seeing your Mosconi cue.
I have tried to figure out how to upload pictures here a few time and have been unable to do it. If I click on the add image it never let's me do it or even give the nice little links others use. So if it is not on my website I have not been able to show anything. How do you do it without using a server. Use Computer for Dummies terms. :)

Jon

Custom User Title
Silver Member
cueman said:
I have tried to figure out how to upload pictures here a few time and have been unable to do it. If I click on the add image it never let's me do it or even give the nice little links others use. So if it is not on my website I have not been able to show anything. How do you do it without using a server. Use Computer for Dummies terms. :)
Instead of using the "Add Image" (which would let you point to a hosted picture,) you should be using the "Attach File/Image" (whichever it says, i'm using the quick reply thing.)
But there is a file sizel limit on attaching.

Cane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BiG_JoN said:
Instead of using the "Add Image" (which would let you point to a hosted picture,) you should be using the "Attach File/Image" (whichever it says, i'm using the quick reply thing.)
But there is a file sizel limit on attaching.

Well, I'm not going to be able to try either tonight. the "A" drive on my computer just bit the dust. I have another old tower that I don't use, and will switch out drives tomorrow and download the images... have one of the old sony digitals that uses a 3.5" floppy and that's the only way I can save images is with the A drive.

Will post pictures as soon as I get it fixed.

Later,
Bob

monski

sweet & pretty
Silver Member
cueman said:
------------

I click the Manage Attachments button on the Attach Files box when I put in a post on the thread. Then another box appears where I can Browse my computer to look for pics I want to upload. The I click the Upload button and Submit the post. Hope it helps.... here's a sample (the pic should be no greater than 100K, i think). ;)

Attachments

• Withjoint.jpg
    Withjoint.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 407

Pizza Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cane said:
This is an old Willie Mosconi cue... has the decal signature of the forearm. WHO MADE THEM?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob:

Brunswick owned the rights to the Mosconi name for several years and manufactured two cues, that I know of, as Willie Mosconi models. That being said, what you have is NOT a Brunswick. After Brunswick relinquished rights to the name they were purchased by Ajay, a large importer of pool products that sold to mass marketers like K-Mart. I assume the decal to which you refer is a piece of clear tape with a facsimile of Willie's signature - usually in red. Sometimes placed around the cue below the joint, or lengthwise above the wrap. These are Taiwanese cues. The earlier ones are of decent quality and have the usual pin-in-butt joint configuration. The latter ones were real cheapos and can be distinguished by the brass pin-in-shaft with integral pilot type joint.

I have the Brunswick iterations and several of the Taiwanese ones (early) - one a very interesting butterfly spliced cue with a polished, faceted metal butt cap.

Hope this helps answer some questions.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Pizza Bob said:
Bob:

Brunswick owned the rights to the Mosconi name for several years and manufactured two cues, that I know of, as Willie Mosconi models. That being said, what you have is NOT a Brunswick. After Brunswick relinquished rights to the name they were purchased by Ajay, a large importer of pool products that sold to mass marketers like K-Mart. I assume the decal to which you refer is a piece of clear tape with a facsimile of Willie's signature - usually in red. Sometimes placed around the cue below the joint, or lengthwise above the wrap. These are Taiwanese cues. The earlier ones are of decent quality and have the usual pin-in-butt joint configuration. The latter ones were real cheapos and can be distinguished by the brass pin-in-shaft with integral pilot type joint.

I have the Brunswick iterations and several of the Taiwanese ones (early) - one a very interesting butterfly spliced cue with a polished, faceted metal butt cap.

Hope this helps answer some questions.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Hi Bob,

You just have remarkable knowledge of these Brunswick dealings and some of the off brand imports. Where did you learn all of this stuff?

Did Dufferin or Competition ever make a Willie Mosconi cue - I thought a few I've seen looked like those brands. Cane is going to e-mail me some photos hopefully today which I'll post.

Chris

Pizza Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TATE said:
Did Dufferin or Competition ever make a Willie Mosconi cue - I thought a few I've seen looked like those brands.

Chris:

Don't know about Competition, but, to my knowledge Dufferin never did a Willie Mosconi cue, either for Brunswick or under their own name. Dufferin did do a line of Brunswick cues in the '70's called the Silver Line. These have the "B" in the lucite circle in the butt, as do a number of Taiwanese Brunswicks from the same time period. The Dufferins are easily distinguishable because they use the proprietary Dufferin joint - very distinct. Dufferin did make a cue that is roll engraved "Willie Hoppe Commemorative". Looks like a sneaky pete, except for the inscription - I think these were done under their own name.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Cane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pictures added

OK, I got my computer fixed, so here are the pics of the Mosconi model cue that I wanted info on.

Thanks for any info you can offer on the manufacturer of this cue.

Bob

Attachments

• Mosconi01.jpg
    Mosconi01.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 242
  • mosconi02.jpg
    mosconi02.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 242
  • mosconi03.jpg
    mosconi03.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 222
  • Mosconi04.jpg
    Mosconi04.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 224
  • Mosconi06.jpg
    Mosconi06.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 227

Pizza Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cane said:
OK, I got my computer fixed, so here are the pics of the Mosconi model cue that I wanted info on.

Thanks for any info you can offer on the manufacturer of this cue.

Bob

Bob:

Yes, I believe that's an Ajay import. Really one of the MUCH better quality ones. Not a decal, but a roll-mark. It made me go look at my aforementioned butterfly-spliced Mosconi. Joint is identical in shape and size, but mine is a brass pin. Roll-mark also identical, except yours is black, mine is red (to match other elements of the cue). Nice cue and one of the highest quality imports.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Cane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pizza Bob said:
Bob:

Yes, I believe that's an Ajay import. Really one of the MUCH better quality ones. Not a decal, but a roll-mark. It made me go look at my aforementioned butterfly-spliced Mosconi. Joint is identical in shape and size, but mine is a brass pin. Roll-mark also identical, except yours is black, mine is red (to match other elements of the cue). Nice cue and one of the highest quality imports.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob,

Thank you very much for the information... this one also has a brass pin, btw, the pictures didn't clearly show that, and I didn't say that in my initial description...

So, do you think I'm OK on this cue having $20.50 plus shipping in it? :)

The little cue actually hits pretty well!

Later,
Bob

Pizza Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cane said:
So, do you think I'm OK on this cue having $20.50 plus shipping in it?

Well, that's $20.50 more than I have in mine :D

It's good to have friends!

Enjoy your bargain!

Adios,

Pizza Bob

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Cane said:
Bob,

Thank you very much for the information... this one also has a brass pin, btw, the pictures didn't clearly show that, and I didn't say that in my initial description...

So, do you think I'm OK on this cue having $20.50 plus shipping in it? :)

The little cue actually hits pretty well!

Later,
Bob

That's less than the tip on my cue.

Chris

deadstroke32

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
monski said:
------------

I click the Manage Attachments button on the Attach Files box when I put in a post on the thread. Then another box appears where I can Browse my computer to look for pics I want to upload. The I click the Upload button and Submit the post. Hope it helps.... here's a sample (the pic should be no greater than 100K, i think). ;)

Monski did u make that q .It's sweet..
What ever happen to your friends cue u post sometime back??

The one in the pic..

Attachments

• 2d31.jpg
    2d31.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 84