Who Makes Good Hit Radial Pin Cue/Butt?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm also interested in a radial pin cue.
If a cue is already screwed together, how will I tell
the difference between radial and 3/8x10?
(Asking for myself)

Bring the cue to Metropolis to the Daily Planet building. Ask for a guy called Clark, he's a reporter there. He will run into a closet and will come out in 10 seconds to tell you what the pin in without taking it apart.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue butt is important in terms of construction. If you want a cue butt that weighs 14.75 ozs.,
what diameter do you want, is there a wrap, any design to it such as rings or inlays, any weight
bolt, how much does it weigh, where is it placed, or was the butt completed sans any weight bolt?

Why would you want to specify a weight for the cue butt and specify if it uses a weight bolt? When
you can anticipate the weight of the cue shaft you want to match with the butt, you wind up with a
cue that has the balance ratio you want. The weight ratios of the shaft and butt are very important.

9ballscorpion

Hi folks, I have several radial joint shafts, and I am considering get an extra Butt.

Who makes the good/best hit radial pin cues or butt? Either production or custom.

I don't care how it looks, only care how it plays.

Please share your comments bellow.

Thanks

I would say Pat Diveney, but I believe that he switched to a preference of a Modified 3/8x10 pin his his cues(?). I will still highly recommend Pat Diveney though, and I am sure he would make you an amazing feeling and very well weighted butt with a Radial pin on it, which was his pin of choice for a very long time, up until recently.

9ballscorpion

The "playing" of a cue is all in the shaft, for balance, hit feel, looks, construction quality, any of 30 or 40 makers will make a good one, including production stuff. Although radial pins in production cues are a bit rare, the Predator special edition stuff has them, Dale Perry if you are looking for a cheaper "custom".

I do not agree. I feel that a big part of the way a cue feels and hits is not only in the shaft, but also in the butt. The butt needs to have a nice feel for the player, and the way that it is weighted must be to the players liking too, so a big part of what a player looks for in a cue is going to be in the butt too.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not agree. I feel that a big part of the way a cue feels and hits is not only in the shaft, but also in the butt. The butt needs to have a nice feel for the player, and the way that it is weighted must be to the players liking too, so a big part of what a player looks for in a cue is going to be in the butt too.

The feel yes, but the performance there is none. Which is exactly what I wrote in the posts, you pretty much said exactly what I said. Feel of the cue is only a small part of how it "plays". A butt does not "play good", the full cue does, mostly in the shaft matched to how the player shoots. I've been saying that the butt is just a handle for the shaft, you just need to find a handle you like to use, but any butt matched to a certain shaft will allow you to shoot the same shots with it, it's just personal feelings about the full cue.

songj2096

pool is not dead
Where did you find a Nitti?
I posted a WTB On Facebook. Nitti cues are hard to find. There are only 1 cocobolo Merry Widow w 2 shafts good condition $820, and brand new 4 point $1850. That’s all I found in past 2 weeks. I mean in price range under 2k.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
The cue butt is important in terms of construction. If you want a cue butt that weighs 14.75 ozs.,
what diameter do you want, is there a wrap, any design to it such as rings or inlays, any weight
bolt, how much does it weigh, where is it placed, or was the butt completed sans any weight bolt?

Why would you want to specify a weight for the cue butt and specify if it uses a weight bolt? When
you can anticipate the weight of the cue shaft you want to match with the butt, you wind up with a
cue that has the balance ratio you want. The weight ratios of the shaft and butt are very important.
This comment of yours is very interesting to me, I don't obviously know what you know but here I am trying to know it if that makes any sense.

You say to figure out the weight of the butt you want, then try to figure the weight of the shaft in relation to the butt and that there is a certain preferable ratio? now is this ratio for everybody? Now to add complexity to the question even further, what happens if a guy use the mid-section extension, CueMax or Balance rite, these things come as 2 inch to 3 inches and add some weight in the middle of the cue which also gives you a feeling of a sort of forward-balance, now does this adds to the ratio equation or not?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This comment of yours is very interesting to me, I don't obviously know what you know but here I am trying to know it if that makes any sense.

You say to figure out the weight of the butt you want, then try to figure the weight of the shaft in relation to the butt and that there is a certain preferable ratio? now is this ratio for everybody? Now to add complexity to the question even further, what happens if a guy use the mid-section extension, CueMax or Balance rite, these things come as 2 inch to 3 inches and add some weight in the middle of the cue which also gives you a feeling of a sort of forward-balance, now does this adds to the ratio equation or not?
It really is more simple than that. Others may disagree with what I am saying but here goes.

There is a weight proportionality between the two halves of a two piece pool cue. Everyone
knows there is a shaft and butt that comprise the cue’s total assembled weight. The ratio of
the shaft’s weight is very important to how the cue feels. Match a light weight shaft to a heavy
cue butt and the resulting feel is usually crappy. Now keep in mind the feel of a cue is subjective.

I have owned a lot of cues but not nearly as many as some. I have also had a fair share of cues
built and along the way, spoken with lots of cue makers but again, not nearly as many, or as much,
as some others. IMO there is a weight ratio between the shaft and cue butt. Shafts that weigh less
than 18% of the cue’s weight don’t play as well as shafts above 18%. The ideal is 22-23% and as
far as the butt is concerned, this ratio presumes the butt doesn’t have a hunk of metal shoved in it.

Weight bolts absolutely do affect the way a cue feels and one smaller bolt, or several of equivalent
total combined weight positioned in the butt, is preferable to just one single bolt screwed in the bottom.

I know about wood shafts & size & taper, etc., and the weight ratio applies whether the shaft is 12.5mm
or 13.2mm. So if you have a cue butt weighing a specific weight, you should try and match a shaft that
falls within the aforementioned weight ratios. This applies to maple shafts & CF shafts are an exception.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
It really is more simple than that. Others may disagree with what I am saying but here goes.

There is a weight proportionality between the two halves of a two piece pool cue. Everyone
knows there is a shaft and butt that comprise the cue’s total assembled weight. The ratio of
the shaft’s weight is very important to how the cue feels. Match a light weight shaft to a heavy
cue butt and the resulting feel is usually crappy. Now keep in mind the feel of a cue is subjective.

I have owned a lot of cues but not nearly as many as some. I have also had a fair share of cues
built and along the way, spoken with lots of cue makers but again, not nearly as many, or as much,
as some others. IMO there is a weight ratio between the shaft and cue butt. Shafts that weigh less
than 18% of the cue’s weight don’t play as well as shafts above 18%. The ideal is 22-23% and as
far as the butt is concerned, this ratio presumes the butt doesn’t have a hunk of metal shoved in it.

Weight bolts absolutely do affect the way a cue feels and one smaller bolt, or several of equivalent
total combined weight positioned in the butt, is preferable to just one single bolt screwed in the bottom.

I know about wood shafts & size & taper, etc., and the weight ratio applies whether the shaft is 12.5mm
or 13.2mm. So if you have a cue butt weighing a specific weight, you should try and match a shaft that
falls within the aforementioned weight ratios. This applies to maple shafts & CF shafts are an exception.
Then how do you explain pro's adding ton of weight at the back end of their butts, i.e. "butt extensions" this alone I think contradict all of what you said? I am not saying you're wrong, but hey they're playing flawlessly.