Who pays for tournaments?

tomatoshooter

I'm talking about the weekly local tournaments up to regional tournaments, primarily. Who pays for it? The pool hall will have about 20 players occupying most of the tables at $10 bucks a head, plus $50 added, that I assume comprises the pot. There's no streaming, no audience. The best I can figure is that it makes people want to come in on a different day and practice. I don't think they sell that much food and drink. Even the PPV stream events, are the sponsors and the viewers bringing in that much money that they can have $160,000 for SVB and Tony Chohan?

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Food and drink for local.
Some regional have sponsors like Dan's hardware or whatever.
Big $ in streams is usually backers who stake the players or they fudge the numbers

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm talking about the weekly local tournaments up to regional tournaments, primarily. Who pays for it? The pool hall will have about 20 players occupying most of the tables at $10 bucks a head, plus $50 added, that I assume comprises the pot. There's no streaming, no audience. The best I can figure is that it makes people want to come in on a different day and practice. I don't think they sell that much food and drink. Even the PPV stream events, are the sponsors and the viewers bringing in that much money that they can have $160,000 for SVB and Tony Chohan?
Sometimes the pool room will kick in some added $ to the prize purse, which largely comes from the tournament entry fees, but often the pool room who is hosting the tournament just offers the pool room up for free use without charging for table time. They figure that the increased food and beverage sales for the players and the spectators will hopefully more than make it up as opposed to a normal day at the pool room.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I just moved to TN and all the local halls have bar boxes. I've always preferred big table and have one in my home.
Because I intend to play in the weekly tourneys, I stop in for an hour or two during the week to brush up on my baby table speed and position.
I also buy a drink or two while I'm there. That probably generates $30/wk to offset what they may lose on tourney day.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well the one thing I know 100% for sure is many Pool Bar & Room that use to do tournments in Phoenix area are closed.

Tough to make money with Pool Room. Or Bat with Pool tables.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Are you talking about the pool hall making money during the tournament? In some of my travels for work I ran into a bunch of places that uses the coin op tables for the tournaments, and do not open them up. So the players are paying for normal table time. For other places the idea is that the players filling the room for the tournament spend money on drinks and food. Plus, I think being known for good tournaments or having good players visit to play would be a hidden benefit to the room. If I knew of a place that was known to have pro players visit, I would pick that one over some other one that had cheaper drinks or something.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Food and drink for the local tourneys here. They do better on that than they would on table time, easily

Zerksies

This was ago but the owner of the pool hall charged $20 for the tournament. $5 of that was his greens fees. But we also had a Calcutta. But the tournament would bring in players in early that day or would bring them in for practice during the week