Who plays with Mezz shafts?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an old Mezz with a plain shaft (cue looks like a Tad Merry Widow, which I also own). What if anything can you say about these old plain Mezz shafts ? Thx D
The Mezz maple shaft?
Mezz Hard maple
Nice shaft, i really like the taper. Has the same NX ferulle material as most Mezz shafts has.
Not much more to say than it's a well made maple shaft, the 12.8mm tip diameter will work for most players. If Low deflection is your thing it's not the shaft for you, even though the NX material is fairly light, it's still a fairly long ferrule, so there's definently some front end mass there.

Since you asked: Skip Super Soft tips, just too much fuzz for that short period before the tip hardens, If you need a soft tip, settle for a quality Soft tip like a Zan soft, G2 or Kamui Original. Or even better get a Medium tip that is on the soft side of Medium. Don't blindly trust Shore scale numbers as it doesn't tell you a thing about how the tip is after a week, if chalk adhesion is good or not or if the tip needs a lot of maintenance or not.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an old Mezz with a plain shaft (cue looks like a Tad Merry Widow, which I also own). What if anything can you say about these old plain Mezz shafts ? Thx D

You may want to find threads younger than 7 years hehe. There is a review section also if you are looking for feedback about some specific brand or model.

Tahoedirt

Tahoedirt
The Mezz maple shaft?
Mezz Hard maple
Nice shaft, i really like the taper. Has the same NX ferulle material as most Mezz shafts has.
Not much more to say than it's a well made maple shaft, the 12.8mm tip diameter will work for most players. If Low deflection is your thing it's not the shaft for you, even though the NX material is fairly light, it's still a fairly long ferrule, so there's definently some front end mass there.

Since you asked: Skip Super Soft tips, just too much fuzz for that short period before the tip hardens, If you need a soft tip, settle for a quality Soft tip like a Zan soft, G2 or Kamui Original. Or even better get a Medium tip that is on the soft side of Medium. Don't blindly trust Shore scale numbers as it doesn't tell you a thing about how the tip is after a week, if chalk adhesion is good or not or if the tip needs a lot of maintenance or not.
Thanks very much for taking the time to give a thoughtful reply

Tahoedirt

Tahoedirt
You may want to find threads younger than 7 years hehe. There is a review section also if you are looking for feedback about some specific brand or model.
Thanks…I think- I’m older, not tech savvy, but trying to contribute.
Remember…someday you’ll be 76

ldl01031

FWIW, I play with a Joss (custom made about 30 years ago). I was working with Mr. Immonen and brought up CF shafts. It turned out his Mezz shaft fit my Joss. We spent a couple of hours comparing my new 'low deflection' Joss shaft and the Mezz. I quickly became 100% sold. There was a huge difference (this is the Ignite 12.2). I love the smaller tip size and no longer having to worry about getting dings (that over time, whittled my shafts more and more as I 'fixed' the dings). Definitely one of the biggest equipment improvements I've ever seen.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
The wx900 isn't quite the predator Z2 out of the box. I ended up getting my 900 turned down to 11.6mm and I can't imagine anything playing as closely to the original Z2.

This isn't about deflection though. It's about how the 900 feels through your bridge while you play. Anyone that has spent any time playing with a Z2 can tell you that the smaller diameter is something you grow very accustomed to. Even the extra .3mm of the wx900 is noticable. ...well it was for me anyways. Turning down that shaft made the 2 interchangable.

891014+1

I am a Predator shaft lover, but have tried Mezz to compare. Personally, didn't like the stifness of mezz, but all other characteristics are equally good.
If you pay attention to young not yet pro players, without a cue sponsor, they use predator or mezz... there is a reason for it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a Predator shaft lover, but have tried Mezz to compare. Personally, didn't like the stifness of mezz, but all other characteristics are equally good.
If you pay attention to young not yet pro players, without a cue sponsor, they use predator or mezz... there is a reason for it.
I see more Cuetec's than any other major brand in my area. The Cynergy outsells all the rest by a wide margin. I'm still using my Mezz HybridPro(original version) and doubt i change anytime soon but if i did it would be a 12.5Cynergy. Great product.