Who was the one pool player that you learned the most from watching them play?

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
Glenn A.I watched this guy so much that he would go on tilt if he seen me sitting nearby his match.I still learned alot though and one time even got a quick jump lesson for free.

Glenn is a real gentleman and I can understand now why I got in his head by watching all his matches.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Defense from Willie M (not Mosconi)

When you watch a player play a great match and you learned a lot from watching the match. Who was the player that you learned the most from watching them play a match? Did I say that right? Thanks for your input. Which player do you like to watch the most?
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

I was introduced to masters level 8-ball defense by Willie Munson in the NPBA tournaments in Milwaukee back in the '70s. I took the knowledge back to my home town and made lots of money till the other players began playing defense too. (Still made money after that, but never as easily!)

Now who do I like to watch the most?
Easy, Efren in his prime.

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

Tobermory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear CJ--

What I learned from the video of Steve Davis and Ronnie O'Sullivan was not to play any licorice-haired Irishmen snooker!

One of the things I regret about most pool videos is that very often one is watching disembodied wrists and hands. I wonder if on easier shots the camera might not be pulled back sometimes in order to offer a fuller view of the stance of the player and his pre-shot routine.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not even close. Efren Reyes. Of the Americans, it's close between Nick Varner, Mike Sigel, and Irving Crane, but Efren revolutionized the game. When Efren looked over a pool table, he saw things that no other player had ever seen. Of the Europeans, it's Ralf Souquet.

What happen to Efren when he met Buddy Hall in Texas? The only player to hand him a lost!!! Youtube.com Buddy VS. Efren Reyes.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

jnf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nick Varner. Years ago before he was on the circuit he often played at a room I managed. I watched him often and played him occasionally. Even then he was brilliant with stroke and effecient shape. He is nearly as good left handed....when have you seen him use a crutch? Great fundamentals and tempo.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LnL:

Why? Are you trying to set up a bet with someone that Hank's water is wet?

:p
-Sean

I thought he might buy me a bottle of Hank's water. He does buy Hank's bottle water, he told me so!
He Hank's he can beat me anyway. I do not know how much weight he wants or needs!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cisero Murphy. I watched him play for an afternoon. His style of play was so different, that I picked up a set of balls and tried what he was doing. I didn't miss a ball for quite some time. Even to this day, when my stroke starts to have problems, I go back to things I learned watching him.

Greg

Quatsch83

Learner
Silver Member
I love watching Ronnie Alcano...very smooth and deliberate stroke and gets a lot of action on the cue ball.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Efren Reyes. To me, he's the one truly innovative player active in my lifetime who'll occasionally come up with something one hasn't seen before. Everyone else does what we all do or try to do more or less admirably, nothing wrong with that, but it's not like I'm ever sitting there waiting for something unexpected to happen.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Realizm

I love cocobolo cues.
Silver Member
When i first watched a pro player it was the Miz .. then Earl for shot making and ,to tie all the together, Buddy Hall pure cb cantrol... I feel buddy has all what it take to be a Real poolplayer....

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to like to watch George Brundt play. He was so smooth and play excellent patterns.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When i first watched a pro player it was the Miz .. then Earl for shot making and ,to tie all the together, Buddy Hall pure cb cantrol... I feel buddy has all what it take to be a Real poolplayer....

Very good input from so many good pool players. Thanks.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
Very good input from so many good pool players. Thanks.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Dude, you start enough new threads, is it really necessary to go back to your own threads that people stopped replying to a month ago, and make a reply to them so they get bumped back to the front page again? You do this all the time.

I just don't understand why some people feel the need to always have their name "in the lights". Whether it be to start countless new threads trying to dream up some crazy rhetorical question or by doing a search for their own threads, that have long died off months ago, and reply to them so they get back on the front page of the forum.

It's kinda weird, kinda vain, ya know? Might be time for a intervention from your friends:)

You're not the only one that does this, not picking on you
Doesn't mean your a bad guy, just gets annoying to some people
Hey.... if you had a booger hanging out of your nose, wouldn't you want someone to tell you?
You're welcome:rolleyes::cool:

CaliRed - "The World's Biggest Forum Psychiatrist"
Member of the World Famous "Don't let your Babies/Grown Men, grow up to be a Forum Whore" Club

golf

Dude, you start enough new threads, is it really necessary to go back to your own threads that people stopped replying to a month ago, and make a reply to them so they get bumped back to the front page again? You do this all the time.

I just don't understand why some people feel the need to always have their name "in the lights". Whether it be to start countless new threads trying to dream up some crazy rhetorical question or by doing a search for their own threads, that have long died off months ago, and reply to them so they get back on the front page of the forum.

It's kinda weird, kinda vain, ya know? Might be time for a intervention from your friends:)

You're not the only one that does this, not picking on you
Doesn't mean your a bad guy, just gets annoying to some people
Hey.... if you had a booger hanging out of your nose, wouldn't you want someone to tell you?
You're welcome:rolleyes::cool:

CaliRed - "The World's Biggest Forum Psychiatrist"
Member of the World Famous "Don't let your Babies/Grown Men, grow up to be a Forum Whore" Club

I completely agree Calired. Some people on this forum do have that need. If some can't show the "pool world" just who they are and how "connected" they are, then the day just isn't worth waking up to. Very pathetic. This is why I seldom post. I do a lot of private messaging and communicate with some old cronies and acquantances.

Some must always let others know that they are such good friends with some pro or another or that they just talked to some pro or had lunch with some pro or just talked on the phone with some pro. This is very sad. Sounds like they don't get out of the house much.

This is all proof of how obviously low their self esteem is that they have to resort to such pathetic crap for a little jolt in their lives.

PistolPat

Flip Strokin' since 91
Silver Member
id have to say alcano and efren
..the shot routes they take as well as the shot choices leave you scratching your head in wonder...

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Montana Mike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going way off the radar with this one and say Richie Richeson. I learn something from him almost everytime I watch him play and definitely each time we play. Sometimes shots, sometimes attitude, demeanor, or will to win but I learn something regardless.