Whose body am I in?

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
snip

This is the magic of breathing. You can regulate your emotional temperature by your breathing. Practice regulating your emotional temperature in this manner then you have to find where you need to be to compete. Odds are it isn't flat footed or wired. Somewhere a bit off of flat footed is your personal best emotional temperature.

snip
Hu
Great post Hu! Just curious, have you heard of the Wim Hof breathing method?
This is "The Iceman" that runs a half marathon on ice and snow barefoot, holds the record for under ice swimming, etc. I've dabbled with it just a tiny bit, but it's pretty amazing.

Just last week I couldn't seem to get to sleep so I matched the shallow breaths of my dog and was sleeping withing a couple minutes. It's pretty amazing what you can do with breathing, it's definitely something I'd like to explore more.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi tha

Nk you for the thoughtful reply. I agree with the other folks that more pressure matches should improve my comfort in those situations. It will be tough to devote more time but I'll try. I like the idea that I can work on breathing right away. Thank you

The nice thing about learning to control your emotional temperature is it is rare for anyone to even notice you are doing it. The whole reason for putting yourself in pressure is to learn to manage pressure. How do you manage pressure. One way is by breathing. Doing these things together results in a closed circle which is a good thing in this case.

Putting ourselves in pressure we can't deal with is a waste unless we are learning to deal with it. I knew a good guy that was quite expert at a different form of pistol competition. This guy conditioned himself at the beginning of a season so that he never consciously pulled the trigger, the pistol shot when the sights were right! He also fired between heartbeats. An awesome competitor! Then he came to our little weekly events with much shorter time limits. Well within his capabilities but the idea he had to hurry made him lose his mind! He stayed noncompetitive even in the lowest class he could shoot in.
Great post Hu! Just curious, have you heard of the Wim Hof breathing method?
This is "The Iceman" that runs a half marathon on ice and snow barefoot, holds the record for under ice swimming, etc. I've dabbled with it just a tiny bit, but it's pretty amazing.

Just last week I couldn't seem to get to sleep so I matched the shallow breaths of my dog and was sleeping withing a couple minutes. It's pretty amazing what you can do with breathing, it's definitely something I'd like to explore more.

His feats sound familiar. I have at least read about them. I am and even more was a voracious reader. Back decades ago I read pretty much every word of every volume of the Encyclopedia Britannica.

I have been breathing to control emotions for decades, so long I don't remember how much was learned from reading and how much was self taught. I used to adapt things from one pursuit to another. I always figured the best in the world at anything had something to learn from and I don't remember many years later where things came from.

Breathing is fun and easy to experiment with and we soon find wickedly powerful. Our breathing helps us enter the zone where we can perform at the very edge of our potential. Even without entering the zone, we perform better at a certain state. I know I bounce around between different pursuits but some place increased demands on other areas. Waiting for a buzzer to explode into action is tricky. You have to be ready but relaxed. Tension slows you down but of course you can't be standing there daydreaming. Responding to a buzzer instantly is hard. my best aimed shot from hands up position and a draw is 3/4 second. My normal draw is about a quarter second behind that. Of course most aren't timed.

A little different skill set in pool where we are pulling many things together to make a shot without having to launch it at a time we don't control. Still, mastering breathing pays in any pursuit. With pool needing air supplied during a run I try to slow my breathing and heartbeat and breath slightly shallow after some deep breaths before I start to oxygen load. Seems like a big deal typing it but it is done without thought. I want every run to flow, one continuous action for the entire time I am at the table. Causes people to quit me sometimes when I have been casually banging and swap to the continuous action mode. Of course the entire run has to be planned before the first shot but it all becomes natural.

I have never studied martial arts other than boxing a bit but the masters of martial arts accomplishing extreme feats seem to have mastered this coordination of everything in their body, perhaps their mind too. Something to learn there I suspect but I'm not interested in all of the things I don't need to learn to see if there is some area I am interested in.

Hu

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do three things, breathing being the most important:
- Breathe in through the nose for a count of 7, hold for 7, breathe out through mouth for count of 7, hold for 7. Repeat 7-10 times
- While doing breath exercise specifically tell parts of your body to relax, such as shoulders and then let your shoulders go. Do the same for neck,
temples, jaw .. etc. you'd be surprised at the amount of tension released
- Probably what most people think is the dumbest but works for me. I get a lot of chatter from I believe is the right side of brain where emotions
get in the way. Soooo to quiet this side I put it to work by setting up some easy shots and shooting around 10 to 15 with my left(opposite
hand). Seems to quiet the chatter a lot for me .. :)

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do three things, breathing being the most important:
- Breathe in through the nose for a count of 7, hold for 7, breathe out through mouth for count of 7, hold for 7. Repeat 7-10 times
- While doing breath exercise specifically tell parts of your body to relax, such as shoulders and then let your shoulders go. Do the same for neck,
temples, jaw .. etc. you'd be surprised at the amount of tension released
- Probably what most people think is the dumbest but works for me. I get a lot of chatter from I believe is the right side of brain where emotions
get in the way. Soooo to quiet this side I put it to work by setting up some easy shots and shooting around 10 to 15 with my left(opposite
hand). Seems to quiet the chatter a lot for me .. :)

For better or worse suggestions like this won't gain much traction coming from an unknown source. Coming from a several time world champion people would try it and find that all or parts are beneficial to them. We need to define what we are trying to do, then do it! I don't care for a verbal conversation in my mind but perhaps this is needed all of the time, perhaps just as start before a nonverbal check list, Neck comfortable, shoulders, stomach, on down to even the legs. Aside from making it tougher to shoot, unnecessary tension in your body tires you more rapidly. The reason I included stomach is that I sucked mine in for years. Created tension other places and in truth you are the only one that gives a rat's ass if your stomach is sagging down an extra inch or three. I prefer to consider my low center of gravity a pool shooter's physique now and a good thing. Pass me another beer and more crawfish if you please!

Hu

Smutzc

I'm 58 and an APA 5 except when I practice at home and then I'm a 7 :) In the past 6 months I finally solved a problem that has eluded me to years. That is, the straight stroke. For me I solved it by now holding the cue with a kind of rubber grip. I hold it lightly with my fingers and keep my wrist "dead" and let it go where it wants to. What I'm essentially doing is taking away my previous tendency to squeeze and twist on the forward stroke.

Now that I've solved that problem I'm so excited to show off my new talent in a match. That brings me to my next challenge. I've spent so much time working out the stroke issue that I'm very in tune with my body and how everything feels while practicing at home. When I go to league night I swear I'm in somebody else's body. My brain "thinks" as the stroke moves forward too fast, too slow? I can tell that my shoulders are raised and tightened. It feels like a different sport on a different planet.

I have found some relief from this by sticking with my routine. That seems to be the best help for this anxious issue. I don't feel/think like I'm nervous. I'm not one to get pissy if I lose, more like puzzled on why I lost. It's almost like I'm so excited to show off my new skills that I've overly happy/excited. Sometimes after a few games it just melts away and I can get down to business. Sometimes the match is over before I relax. Whatever it is, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to approach fixing this. I've already ruled out a couple shots of tequila and other chemicals. I suppose I'm not the only one. What works for you? -Thank you

p.s. Some of the "different feel" is perfectly legit. I practice on a 9 foot Connelly with new felt, clean balls, in a dead quite, plush basement. League night is bright, loud, dirty and 7 foot - so no wonder some of the alienization.

One thing, simple thing, I’ve have found to help me is don’t try to impress others. Try to play the best you can, like you do at home to please yourself. When you start playing for yourself, impressing others will naturally occur.
Just something that has helped me, hope it helps you as well.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 58 and an APA 5 except when I practice at home and then I'm a 7 :) In the past 6 months I finally solved a problem that has eluded me to years. That is, the straight stroke. For me I solved it by now holding the cue with a kind of rubber grip. I hold it lightly with my fingers and keep my wrist "dead" and let it go where it wants to. What I'm essentially doing is taking away my previous tendency to squeeze and twist on the forward stroke.

Now that I've solved that problem I'm so excited to show off my new talent in a match. That brings me to my next challenge. I've spent so much time working out the stroke issue that I'm very in tune with my body and how everything feels while practicing at home. When I go to league night I swear I'm in somebody else's body. My brain "thinks" as the stroke moves forward too fast, too slow? I can tell that my shoulders are raised and tightened. It feels like a different sport on a different planet.

I have found some relief from this by sticking with my routine. That seems to be the best help for this anxious issue. I don't feel/think like I'm nervous. I'm not one to get pissy if I lose, more like puzzled on why I lost. It's almost like I'm so excited to show off my new skills that I've overly happy/excited. Sometimes after a few games it just melts away and I can get down to business. Sometimes the match is over before I relax. Whatever it is, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to approach fixing this. I've already ruled out a couple shots of tequila and other chemicals. I suppose I'm not the only one. What works for you? -Thank you

p.s. Some of the "different feel" is perfectly legit. I practice on a 9 foot Connelly with new felt, clean balls, in a dead quite, plush basement. League night is bright, loud, dirty and 7 foot - so no wonder some of the alienization.

The only way to improve in competition is trial by fire. You have to get comfortable with shooting without worrying about the out come. There are a couple things you can try that may help.

• Physical: First would be to practice stroke drills (Dr. Dave comes to mind) shooting cross corner table length shots (stop shot, rolling scratch following the object ball and draw straight back). You should be able to close your eyes and still make the shot. Now pressure should not interfere with your stroke.
  • Mental: Play two hundred games in Fargo reported tournaments (without worrying about the outcome). This will give you a base line and give you some seasoning (trial by fire). After a few tournaments you will improve under pressure. If you play long enough you will beat people you never thought you could. You will also lose to people that should not beat you! This is part of the process of playing without sweating the outcome.
  • Tournament skills: As you improve getting to each new level requires taking the right shots and playing safe at the right times. Also breaking positions and pattern play. Competing is fun, but hard work. If you do not practice and compete you will not beat players that do.
  • Final thought: Enjoy your game for what it is and pool will stay fun at every level. Good luck