AzB Silver Member
I've been using a full time butt extension for several years now. I previously tried shaft extensions and temporary extensions. I won't be going back to previous methods. Here are a few reasons why:
- The need for a longer reach comes up pretty often. When it comes up, the extension is already there. No need to go get it.
- Fewer shots require a mechanical bridge or using your opposite hand.
- You are always shooting with the same weight cue.
- Your cue always has the same balance.
- Unlike a shaft extension it detaches easily when shooting in a tight area.
- You can usually maintain the cue's original weight and balance by permanently removing weight bolts. Modern butt extensions are surprisingly light.
- A number of shots are just a little beyond comfortable reach. If you are already extended, you just shoot them comfortably. If you're not, you may be tempted to just reach a little farther rather than use a bridge or go get the extension.